Comments

1. says

Frankly I’m not sure what the “controversy” is….you might as well be saying “People turn on stove, touch it, and are shocked to find their fingers get burned.”

A Christian uniiversity is promoting a one-sided interpretation of certain scriptures and practicing selective amnesia in regard to other “morality” passages. This is not news. How about every employee with a conscience, gay or straight, vocally opposing this? I mean COME ON.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – if you can tell a bunch of gays that you’re pro-religion, but you can’t tell your fellow religious buds that you’re either gay or pro-LGBT Equality, then you need to sit for a while and think about what that means.

2. Gregoire says

Rome, Georgia is such an armpit. No self-respecting gay would go to college there in the first place.

The town’s defining characteristic is a cemetery on a hill, smack in the middle of town. Full of late-19th Century Confederate graves made to look like fallen Roman ruins. That should tell you all you need to know about Rome, and the pathetic nature of this college.

3. Hollywood, CA says

This wouldn’t bother me so much if they didn’t CHERRY PICK homosexuality over DIVORCE! Divorce is “outside of what the biblical mandate is,” right? So they don’t have anyone who has had a divorce there, and never have, right?

I say sign the pledge and get a rent-boy to take down Don Dowless who is CLEARLY a closet case. Then see how quick things change. Pathetic.

4. Jeff Kurtti says

Rome, Georgia should be interesting when they all pledge to adhere to a lifestyle conforming to the biblical mandate. This is the same bible that says it is ”disgraceful” for a woman to speak out in church (1 Corinthians 14:34-36) and that if she has any questions, she should wait till she gets home and ask her husband; that the penalty for going to work on Sunday (Exodus 35:1-3) is death. How ’bout the man who rapes a virgin should buy her from her father (Deuteronomy 22:28-29) and marry her. In Luke 16:18 Jesus says, “Every one who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.”

5. Dr. Verdon Coleman says

You know what? They are a private employer. If they choose to have that as a policy, so be it.

Here is where the conflict comes in: do they accept federal dollars for students, operations, or grants? Are they a not-for-profit organization? If yes to any of those questions, THEN there is a problem.

And I am saying this as an openly gay Christian Pastor.

6. johnny says

Actually, this is really quite normal practice for many religious organizations that have both churches AND schools. A friend (who is closeted) had to sign a similar employee agreement stating that they have never had homosexual sex and are not sexually attracted to their own sex. I thought it was a rather odd thing but according to them, every employee there had to sign it AND not disclose that they had signed it (which is also written into the agreement).

Imagine working at any other kind of job on the planet and having to sign such a thing.

7. Philippe Landman says

So what next??
    All homosexuals must wear the sign of the unclean (pink triangle anyone?) Christians must not shop in stores owned by or run by homosexuals. Books with references to or written by homosexuals must be burned in the churchyard.

etc etc etc ad infinitum

Sieg Heileluja

8. booka says

I understand that it is a wide world out there and that people make a lot of choices that are not always the best for their self interest, or the greater part of society. BUT, why would any person that accepts themselves as a Gay person; work in such a repressive, draconian environment? Religious tyranny remains a inherent evil that is the challenge of our time, and can only be faced head on, and by removing the permissive attitudes toward it that have allowed it to fester into a insanity that in it’s fundamental mode will destroy our rights, government and society. In a nutshell…don’t work there, or give it your support, and it might just go away.

9. dancobbb says

Employees are supposed to swear to not follow “a lifestyle outside of what the Biblical mandate is…”. This is SO typical of right-wing Christians. They profess to follow the Bible AND Christ. When you tell them that the Bible is ridiculous in part, because it considers eating shrimp or wearing clothes made of two fibers to be an ABOMINATION. Christians parry that by saying that the NEW TESTAMENT is what Christians believe in. But when it comes to condemning homosexuals they happily quote passages from the Old Testament. Anyway, Jesus never said anything about gay people. Ever. Positive or negative. But that’s not what they want to take away from the NT.

10. SCollingsworth says

“The inquisition, what a show, the inquisition, here we go, we know you’re wishin’ that we’d go awaaaaayyyyyy… but the inquisition’s here and it’s here to staaaay!”

11. Nigel says

So if alcohol is not to be used in a public place, then is my church no longer suppose to use wine as the symbol of Christ’s blood in mass, and if they do can I get fired? And if I attend morning mass and receive the “body & blood” of Christ then I can’t go to work for 6 hours. Or do I get fired for my traditional religious beliefs? Who decides?

12. Lexxvs says

Well, that’s why anti discrimination laws exist on the countries where they are implemented. Being a private institution is NOT an excuse. You can not –for instance- say: “you know what, here be believe in slavery like in the bible, so you black guy, while working here, will do as a slave”. Or “we don’t believe on freedom of religion, so or you convert or you quit”. Being whatever religious or ideological institution shouldn’t give you the right to pick out people you don’t like based on whatever whim you happen to have. Those kinds of contracts, even if they are willingly signed, are considered invalid when they contradict individual rights in other countries.
    In the U.S.A. many people have the strange idea that freedom means to do your bid as long as you do it with your money, and that’s not always the case.

13. JED says

so what if they don’t receive federal funds? does not receiving federal funds automatically exempt an organization from compliance with workplace discrimination laws?

14. Rob says

Wonder how they are with blacks and Jews. I think I know.

Shows the danger and lunacy of religious fundamentalism- whether it’s the Taliban or Jerry Falwell. Yeesh. Sign me up as an atheist- as far as possible from these people in any form of thought.

15. Patrick says

Shorter University (formerly Shorter College) is my alma mater. I was a piano performance major there from 2001-2005. While it is a Baptist college from its foundation, it used to exist as the majority of religiously-affiliated liberal arts colleges do. That is, it was a well-rounded educational institution that encouraged free thinking and exploration of ideas in its students. The faculty was made up of Christians of all sects as well as Jews, Atheists, Agnostics, and even at one point a Muslim. In 2005, near the end of my time there, the college entered into a lawsuit with its affiliate institution, the Georgia Baptist Convention, over control of the board of trustees. The GBC was looking to take more power in appointing trustees than it ever had. Unfortunately the GBC won the lawsuit and in awakened-sleeping-giant fashion began to overhaul the school, its faculty, and its very mission.

I loved this school dearly when I was there. I was given excellent training and grew into a mature free-thinking adult. The students there now (I know many) want the same thing. What the college is doing may be legal, but it is not in the best interest of its students, faculty, or alumni; and more importantly, the majority don’t want it this way.

I am proud to be a part of a large group of alums doing all they can to get publicity and to let the administration know that this is unacceptable. If it is of relevance to the Towleroad readership, I am happy to provide updates.

16. Joan says

But, they DO receive federal funds!
    Shorter students receive Federal and State funds to pay their tuition, which supports the school.
    Can we say Federal Pell Grants, Federal Work Study jobs, State HOPE Grants???