Ann Coulter | Crime | Dallas | Film and TV | Reality TV | Republican Party | Television | Texas

Gay TV Star Taylor Garrett Victim Of Anti-Republican Vandals. Again.

GarrettCoulterTaylor Garrett is a gay Republican, a star of the program A-List: Dallas, an on-screen luncheon companion of Ann Coulter, and apparently a magnet for really atrocious luck. Friday night, for the second time in as many months, he was the alleged victim of anti-Republican vandalism. This time, it turned violent.

Almost exactly one month ago, Garrett reported that a rock was thrown through one of his windows by vandals unknown, along with a note which read:

Who the f*** do you think you are? You are not A-list. More like Z-list. You are nothing but a nelly twink trying to get attention by calling yourself a republican. You are nothing but an embarassment to the gay community. Watch your back you pathetic mother f***ing twink.

The timbre of that message is not dissimilar to the one Garrett's Friday assailant allegedly carved into his car:

F*** Coulter

Garrett says he caught the latter vandal in mid-defacement, after which the vandal punched Garrett in the eye and knocked him to the glass-strewn ground.

After last month's rock-throwing incident, it was widely speculated (including here at Towleroad) that Garrett had staged the vandalism to boost publicity for his show. Garrett's pretty sore about it. According to The Daily Caller:

[Garrett] said he’s disgusted by those in the gay community and media who doubt him and accuse him of trying to gin up publicity for himself by going public with these stories.

Garrett said he decided to join the show because he wanted to show that there are gay “conservative, Republican, Christians” out there. But he said he has been “destroyed by the gay community” for his views and he’s doubtful he’ll return for another season after this.

The point of having lunch with Coulter, he said, is to show people that “just because you don’t support gay marriage doesn’t make you a bigot, doesn’t mean you hate gay people, it just means you disagree on gay issues.”

Comments

1. ...TV star?

oh, honey.

Posted by: vince | Nov 13, 2011 3:19:56 PM

2. Our gays are so much better than their gays...This kid is a junior Ken Mehlman in the making...will do a lot of damage to the LGBT community just by associating with the right. He'll be repudiated soon enough by the very base he's supporting by such groups as CPAC and their ilk.

Posted by: Todd | Nov 13, 2011 3:24:44 PM

3. There's been this ugly tendency for Gay Inc to violently resent anybody who strays from the Gay Inc line. It goes to show how conservative and narrow our community has become. By conservative, I mean as in unwilling to consider other points of view.

Posted by: jason | Nov 13, 2011 3:52:15 PM

4. it is time this show and most of the rest of the pathetic logo line up goes away. the people on both "a" lists are a disgrace to gays everywhere.

Posted by: walter | Nov 13, 2011 4:00:14 PM

5. what other points of view, Jason? I mean, specifically.

You mean the point of view that if we suck up to the Right-Wing while they deny us our rights to Equality then maybe they'll hate us less?
    Nonsense.

Not all points of view are equal or valid.

Prove me wrong, Jason. Post a link to your own webpage or blog where you show us all how you and your family are actively promoting LGBT Equality within the GOP.

to show you how easy it is here's a video of my parents talking about LGBT. now it's your turn. :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 13, 2011 4:01:10 PM

6. Let's see the police report. Not three weeks later. Let's see the police report and the 911 call that was made right after this happened.

Oh and Max, I don't know any liberal homosexuals who go around beating up people. One of the qualities of liberal folks is that we generally don't act out violently. That is almost always a trait of conservatives.

Posted by: homer | Nov 13, 2011 4:19:19 PM

7. "Reality TV Star"= fame whore who will do anything to get notice

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 13, 2011 5:16:37 PM

8. Any form of violence or intimidation is wrong no matter who the target is or who the perpetrator is. It really pains me to hear of something like this even though he is a reprehensible person. (I have my doubts as to the veracity of his statement too.)Have people not learned anything from past civil rights struggles? Never engage in violence, never give your opponents the opportunity to smear you as thugs or terrorists etc. Never give them an excuse to escalate violence against you! MLK knew that. He knew nonviolent protest was the way because it only enhanced the moral superiority of the movement.

That being said, if he thinks Anne Coulter is not a bigot, that she just has differing views of marriage equality and so opposition to civil equality in not connected to bigotry, then please provide a person who is a homophobic bigot but who does support marriage equality. Can you do that Taylor?

Posted by: ian | Nov 13, 2011 5:20:07 PM

9. Gay republicans are found on Grindr with closeted and married gay men. I have no sympathy for them. They are just as self loathing.

Posted by: Clint | Nov 13, 2011 5:23:18 PM

10. Max is dumb.

Posted by: Clint | Nov 13, 2011 5:27:01 PM

11. "“I would’ve thought people would have been a little more tolerant considering that our community advocates for tolerance, but it has been nothing but mean spirited attacks, especially after the Ann Coulter scene,” he said.

Wrong. We don't advocate for tolerance, we advocate for EQUALITY. Gay Republicans are the ones who only aim for tolerance because they've already accepted that their families don't love them, will never truly accept them as gay men, and will not support their rights for Equality. Tolerance is like saying "nice doggy" until you can find a big enough rock.... Gay Republicans can't get love or acceptance. Just conditional tolerance. So, he's wrong.

The point of having lunch with Coulter, he said, is to show people that “just because you don’t support gay marriage doesn’t make you a bigot, doesn’t mean you hate gay people, it just means you disagree on gay issues"

Behold the lie that Gay republicans tell themselves every night: they're not anti gay, we just DISAGREE.

this is what im talking about - this is their way of tricking themselves into thinking that their families aren't ashamed to call them "Son."

And before any of you gay republicans whine about me being wrong I'm gonna ask you again, right here, to prove it - make a video with your parents in which they proclaim not only love and acceptance, but pledge to promote LGBT Equality within the GOP.

go on. do it. prove me wrong.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 13, 2011 5:58:31 PM

12. WTF, so hate crimes are ok when they happen to people whom *you* hate?

Clint, that is a fantastic counter-argument!
    I bet you won lots of debate tournaments.

Little Kiwi, yes, you have a blog. It needs an editor, but it's otherwise worth a visit. And you're cute, too. Feel better now?

Posted by: Max | Nov 13, 2011 5:59:28 PM

13. Max, as long as you make your asinine comments from the Anonymous Online Closet you're only proving me right.

How about you making a video with your parents? After all, your parents wholly champion LGBT Equality to their fellow Conservatives, right?

If they do, then do something other than complaining - PROVE it by being proactive. Yes. I have a blog. I hide nothing, i have nothing to hide. So, let's hear from your parents. It might be incredibly beneficial.

:D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 13, 2011 6:03:06 PM

14. I still don't believe this is real.
    Where's the police report? Where's the guy who attacked him? He just disappeared? What did he look like? What time was it? There were no witnesses? Where's the investigation? Should be easy enough to find with dna.
    I swear. The public are so easily duped. It's no wonder they elected W twice.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Nov 13, 2011 6:26:47 PM

15. Duh, Wilberforce - the culprit was OBVIOUSLY a LIBERAL.

That's all we can know for sure. They looked like a Liberal.

Maybe it was one of those imaginary "Black Youths" that Jimmy LaSalvia pretended attacked him a few months back.

If a tree falls on a gay republican in the woods and no one is around to hear it does anyone care?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 13, 2011 6:35:30 PM

16. Little Kiwi, enough with the verbal diarrhea. You need to learn how to say more with less. Your writing is disjointed, and any points you make get lost in invective.

You have a blog, and you hate Republicans. You could have said that much in one sentence.

Posted by: Max | Nov 13, 2011 6:57:46 PM

17. Attention whore. And Logo enables him. Done with that TV network.

Posted by: Greg | Nov 13, 2011 7:42:13 PM

18. A very few Jews collaborated with the Nazis in WWII. I have every bit as much respect for this Taylor twit as I do for them.

When those collaborators were tried at the end of WWII, and received justice, they probably whined about persecution too.

Posted by: Kevin | Nov 13, 2011 8:07:25 PM

19. I don't hate Republicans, I hate cowards who complain from the confines of the Anonymous Online Closet rather than being proactive and taking an actual stand in life.

So where, Max, is your own page where you show us how wonderful your Republican family is in supporting and indeed promoting Equality for the LGBT Community?

Show us. Prove me wrong. Show us all how much great work you and your Republican family are doing to promote LGBT Equality by no longer hiding behind Online Anonymity.

let's see it.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 13, 2011 8:26:54 PM

20. I can't imagine why people think this fool is a liar. Especially not after the one episode of his horrendous show I watched, he spent the entire episode lying to his boyfriend and some guy he pushed in a pool at a party.

And I'd like to remind folks that the party platform of the GOP in Texas where he raises money for the party includes recriminalizing gay folks. Nobody says he has to go out and join the ACLU, but he is handing money to people who think he should be a felon. Disgusting.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Nov 13, 2011 8:38:30 PM

21. Guess what, there's diversity in the gay community.

Posted by: Bri | Nov 13, 2011 9:49:09 PM

22. I would never have heard of this guy if it weren't for this. The A List sounds like a rip off of the "reality" shows where people behave badly and we're supposed to admire them for being stupid skanks. No thank you.

Vandalism is a crime. One assumes he reported these incidents to the police. I don't know why this is getting so much coverage. People put up with this crap every day, except they aren't on a tv show no one is watching and want publicity. I'd like to think no one would fake a crime like this so I won't make an accusations as others have. That's a determination the police are capable of making after an investigation of the crime.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Nov 13, 2011 10:00:13 PM

23. Violence is always wrong, no matter what the agenda, and I condemn it. He doesn't deserve violence for his idiotic views, but this dumb rich little twerp sure doesn't deserve compassion either.
    This made me literally laugh out loud: "it has been nothing but mean spirited attacks, especially after the Ann Coulter scene." If he doesn't know the meaning of irony after this, he'll never know!

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Nov 13, 2011 11:05:36 PM

24. Little Kiwi, I am under no obligation whatsoever to prove anything to you, and I find your "taunts" both ridiculous and amusing.

Who said I'm a Republican? I have a very solid history of voting for Democrats - just not for Obama. But believe what you will.

I find anti-gay assaults, like all hate crimes, absolutely reprehensible regardless of how the victim votes. Violent hate crimes are NEVER acceptable. No exceptions.

Posted by: Max | Nov 13, 2011 11:10:43 PM

25. This is not news, and it isn't interesting. If Towleroad keeps posting about nonsense like A-list Dallas, it will lose this reader.

Posted by: Scott | Nov 14, 2011 12:07:59 AM