Australia | Gay Marriage | News

Australia's New Marriage Equality Ad Makes Us 'Get Up' and Cheer: VIDEO

Getup

Australian independent, grass-roots community advocacy organisation GetUp! produced and sent along this gorgeous ad which documents the joys and struggles in a couple's life before a man proposes to his partner.

Watch "It's Time", AFTER THE JUMP...

Getup2

Comments

1. I'm generally not very sentimental, but that was awesome.

Posted by: TomTom | Nov 25, 2011 12:36:08 PM

2. That was . . . Beautiful.

Posted by: AedanCloud | Nov 25, 2011 12:46:21 PM

3. Looks like a trailer for a new hit hour drama, hope the leads get lots of work from this; they're adorable. And the smart band that placed their song as the music bed should get a hit single from this. Better than that "Da, Da, Da" car TV ad because it's openly emotional and not coded. Well done, youse.

Posted by: bamjaya | Nov 25, 2011 12:46:26 PM

4. Beautiful.

Posted by: princely54 | Nov 25, 2011 12:46:29 PM

5. Beautiful!

Posted by: Frank Butterfield | Nov 25, 2011 12:46:55 PM

6. That was not only awesome and beautiful, but that is what we need to start showing. real people. Real lives. Real families.

Everytime i think of those fialed videos currently being touted by the maine people, I want to fwow up. As long as they hide us in the closet, a strategy that has failed onsistently all times but one, I will not be odnating time, energy, or money to Maine.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Nov 25, 2011 12:48:22 PM

7. I immediately posted it to Facebook. Very heartwarming.

Posted by: Brad | Nov 25, 2011 12:49:38 PM

8. wow

Posted by: Randy | Nov 25, 2011 12:50:57 PM

9. damn it, makes me cry like a baby!

Posted by: hagemaru | Nov 25, 2011 12:51:54 PM

10. <3 it!

Posted by: V-8 | Nov 25, 2011 1:02:32 PM

11. Wish the video could be broadcast here in the US.

Posted by: chuck | Nov 25, 2011 1:08:17 PM

12. wow

Posted by: gabriel | Nov 25, 2011 1:18:01 PM

13. Without exception, every gay blog says the same thing: This is the sort of ad we need.
    So Maine, of course, will stick with the nice lesbians and straight people.
    There's a real need to show that gay men love and commit. This ad shows it. Pity Maine isn't listening.

Posted by: enough already | Nov 25, 2011 1:20:52 PM

14. Really. what can you say. well-done and should be broadcast in the U.S.
    beautiful.
    thanks for sharing!

Posted by: tinhouston | Nov 25, 2011 1:27:48 PM

15. US needs to make one but it seems we are to afraid..don't know why...maybe because then it might just show that we are human beings and not second class citizens??????

Posted by: Silas | Nov 25, 2011 1:29:30 PM

16. Man, that was well-executed. Wow.

Posted by: Robert | Nov 25, 2011 1:31:27 PM

17. This makes me smile.

Posted by: Alan | Nov 25, 2011 1:34:20 PM

18. That was really sweet. How come we don't have commercials like that in the U.S.?

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 25, 2011 1:51:09 PM

19. I'm sharing that all over Facebook. It shows the kind of relationships anyone could want, gay or straight. What a lovely, lovely video.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 25, 2011 1:55:44 PM

20. That was so beautiful ,inspiring, constructive and every other adverb/adjective that I could dream of....

However, the positivity of men's relationships is not confined to the new orthodoxy of marriage. But I absolutely support the right to marry.
    It's just that I've seen other men hold each other with the same love and dedication.
    I guess it has to be a matter of choice; and that choice must be there for all of us.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 25, 2011 1:59:00 PM

21. I couldn't see that last part. I had something in my eye.

Posted by: michael | Nov 25, 2011 2:07:35 PM

22. Simply stunningly beautiful. Damn sun in my eye :-)

Posted by: Jumper | Nov 25, 2011 2:11:59 PM

23. I promised myself I wouldn't cry.........*BAWL!*

Posted by: CARIBTONY | Nov 25, 2011 2:27:58 PM

24. *Sigh*...just...*sigh*. (With a bit of a sniffle...aw hell, a LOT of a sniffle.)

Posted by: kyle Michel Sullivan | Nov 25, 2011 2:34:33 PM

25. That ad really spoke to me. I am totally in tears now. Is it because my (Aussie) husband and I got married 3 months ago? Is it because we went through all the same things (including each of us losing a parent) before we married? Is it because we met on a boat cruise? (OK, that last one didn't really happen). Anyway, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this ad, and I hope our US organizations can put together something similar!

Posted by: Josh | Nov 25, 2011 2:37:02 PM