Darren Aronofsky | News

BigGayDeal.com

Darren Aronofsky Directs Four Terrifying Anti-Meth PSAs: VIDEOS

Meth

Enlisting Black Swan director Darren Aronofsky to direct four anti-meth ads for the Meth Project was a good idea, because they're deeply disturbing.

Watch them (warning: graphic content), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. sorry, but the best anti-meth psa = the wire

Posted by: mld | Nov 9, 2011 9:48:31 AM

2. I can't believe that people are still stupid enough to do meth.

Posted by: MrJ | Nov 9, 2011 10:15:20 AM

3. The girl at the sink with her mom -- that one is disturbing. The others, are shot so nicely and they scream ACTING!

Posted by: rustytrawler | Nov 9, 2011 10:33:33 AM

4. Beautiful ads and I agree with Rusty about the acting. Unfortunately there's too much soul and life in the actors' eyes to make me believe they are at that point in the meth experience. Should have used The Walking Dead's extras.

Posted by: Mark | Nov 9, 2011 10:43:17 AM

5. I find the first ad homophobic

Posted by: calvin | Nov 9, 2011 11:04:31 AM

6. These psa's should be shown nationwide. Instead of locking up meth users, we need to send them to rehab. Education and prevention are the only ways to truly fight the meth problem.

Posted by: shle896 | Nov 9, 2011 11:05:10 AM

7. I think they're shot beautifully and are effective...but also had the same thought as Calvin in that the 'gay' one even though it may be a true scenario is also homophobic.

Posted by: Geoff M | Nov 9, 2011 11:11:49 AM

8. Man I love meth. It's the best. I especially love people who did it (or have been doing it) for 10 years, preferably longer. They're so together.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 9, 2011 11:35:31 AM

9. @Calvin & @Geoff -- there are predators in the world, no matter the sexuality. If we call it homophobic to depict reality sometimes, we take the light off of them. They should be in the light. I would have a problem if every one of them went down that road, but they don't. There is another one with a girl being pimped by her boyfriend (called 'Boyfriend') that tells a similar story.

Posted by: princely54 | Nov 9, 2011 11:36:58 AM

10. I agree with PrinceLy54.

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Nov 9, 2011 12:05:02 PM

11. @PRINCELY54...I understand and agree with your view...I'm just saying that particular spot makes me cringe. It always seems like the gay troll/predator is the 'go to' boogeyman. It maybe be a true circumstance, but it also perpetuates the christian whackadoodle's assertion that anything or one that is gay...is the worst end result possible.

Posted by: Geoff M | Nov 9, 2011 12:05:26 PM

12. @PRINCELY54: What about an ad with a gay "victim" and a straight predator? Why the victims are always straight and the predators both gay and stright?

Posted by: calvin | Nov 9, 2011 12:13:58 PM

13. @GEOFF M, if they were to depict all methed out heterosexuals then the PSAs would not have the broader impact. Wackadoo Christians don't need ammo,just their imaginations and their hate. Meth is still prevalent in the gay community and ugly things like Meth need to be exposed. It's not scapegoating, it's a warning.

Posted by: ahh | Nov 9, 2011 12:19:17 PM

14. Calvin, no where in that ad does it say the victim is straight or that the predator is gay. That's your interpretation. Otherwise, how else would you want it to play?

The overriding point is that he's prostituting himself for drugs. Which happens.

Posted by: BEAHBEAH | Nov 9, 2011 12:20:03 PM

15. I don't really need these PSA's, Fergie is my anti-meth tbh!

Posted by: Monsieur V | Nov 9, 2011 12:33:39 PM

16. Coming from a place of meth addiction, deep despair and true desperation, I can safely say that these PSAs capture at least some of the madness involved with that drug. Meth is the devil of all narcotics and true hell to get over. Recovery offered me hope and I am certain that without some intervention, I would not be the man I am today. For those that find the young male PSA to be homophobic, seeing the scenario from the outside never allows for a ture understanding of the grips of addiction. Suffice it to say that many men have done terrible things to get one more hook.

Posted by: Brad | Nov 9, 2011 12:36:10 PM

17. to those who think the first ad is homophobic: go to a CMA meeting and ask to hear the story of a straight meth addict, male or female, and ask specifically how badly they compromised themselves for a hit.
    addiction is a disease, not a choice. it is a sickness, just like a cancer. please treat it as such, always and without fail.
    instead of pitying people who are sick with addiction, or passing judgement on them, you should recite the following: there, but for the grace of my higher power, goeth I.

Posted by: vwdavy | Nov 9, 2011 12:40:10 PM

18. The first ad is homophobic.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Nov 9, 2011 1:19:55 PM

19. I am sensitive to unecessary stereotyping (I found TRAFFIC's use of the darkest black man they could find as as scary drug dealer having sex with the previously innocent--now desperate for her next fix--daughter of the main character to be a heavy handed amd questionable way of illustrating how far she had fallen) but the reality of junkies prostituting themselves, gay or straight, for drugs is real AND there are few if any women out there getting off on getting sex from junkie guys. It really is an exclusively gay thing, unfortunately, because its a male thing to buy sex that way. Given that there are a variety of scenarios here, I,am uncomfortable but understand its use for tge greater purpose of keeping people off drugs.

Posted by: LuckyLinden | Nov 9, 2011 1:21:53 PM

20. @VWDAVY - I love your feedback. We are kindred spirits.

Posted by: Brad | Nov 9, 2011 1:28:18 PM

21. The first ad may give a homophobic image but it shows a real situation. The dangers and consequences of meth addiction for individuals and society in general are so great that maybe we need to back away from our fears of anti-gay(anti-sex)uses of the imagery in specific cases. Which is the more immediate threat to most of us: the Westboro cult, stupid school administrators and teachers, creepy lobbists and sleazy politicians--or a deadly chemical concoction that poisons bodies, minds and the environments in which it's cooked?

Posted by: gregory brown | Nov 9, 2011 1:33:49 PM

22. All the posters claiming that the first ad is homophobic don't understand what homophobia is. Just because something involves a negative depiction of a possibly homosexual situation doesn't equate homophobia! Get real! As BEAHBEAH said: you have no idea what the orientation is of the characters in the first psa. You're assuming. And you know what you get when you do that. If you don't think it's possible that the kid is gay and the perp straight then you've never been around hard-core addiction. Trust. When it comes to addiction, orientation is of little matter. Needs are met and people are used. The End. What's most telling is every poster who says "that's homophobic!" doesn't explain HOW at all.

Posted by: wtf | Nov 9, 2011 2:28:49 PM

23. Heroin, meth, and crack. Can anyone name more addictive substances save alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine---those three being legal?

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 9, 2011 4:41:04 PM

24. @WTF: The first ad is homophobic because, of all the downsides of meth use, the only one it chooses to depict is that it "makes" you have gay sex. It's homophobic because it thinks that *that* is the scariest thing about meth, and the most likely to cause someone to think twice about using meth. Yeah, sure, meth can kill you, but the *bad* part is you have to have sex with a man before you die. It's not rocket science; the homophobia is right in your face.

Posted by: Vint | Nov 9, 2011 5:21:30 PM

25. @Vint: I have to disagree with you there. I don't feel that the negative of that video is gay sex. It's rather that he is subjecting himself to having sex with a greasy gross dude and only doing it for money. Who's to say if he would have sex with men to begin with or not. It's the prostitution that is the focal point.

Posted by: Jono | Nov 9, 2011 6:02:22 PM