BigGayDeal.com

News: Brazil, Steve Kornacki, Colorado, Sophie Ellis-Bextor

RoadBloomberg: Ron Paul is now the Republican frontrunner.

RoadColorado gay officials seeing more tolerant attitudes. Bob Gaiser, 60, a former Lutheran minister who represents Ward 1 on the Broomfield City Council: "My sexual orientation really doesn't come up. It's really all about how well you serve your constituents, listen to them and hear their voices."

KornackiRoadThe coming-out story Salon News Editor Steve Kornacki never thought he'd write.

RoadJustin Timberlake trying to destroy Ryan Gosling's hipster cred.

RoadFire Island reality show casting: "The Fire Island Summer Project is being produced by World of Wonder, the team that has produced some of the most fun, addictive reality TV shows ever including Being Chaz, Tori & Dean: Inn Love, Million Dollar Listing, Pam Anderson: Girl on the Loose and the ratings monster, RuPaul’s Drag Race."

RoadScientists begin to erase aging.

RoadKaty Perry had a wild west birthday hoe down.

RoadMassachusetts House and Senate pass transgender rights bill without public accommodations: "The transgender civil-rights bill would add protections based on 'gender identity' to the statutes banning discrimination in employment, housing, education, and credit. It would also add gender identity to current hate-crimes laws.The measure, however, does not include protections for public accommodations, such as hotels and restaurants, restrooms, locker rooms, public buildings and transit, including subway and bus lines."

RoadLMFAO gets back into their Speedos for Canada's Much Music.

RoadAnd here's the trailer for the other Snow White film, starring Julia Roberts.

Garrett_coulterRoadWhy didn't A-List Dallas cast member Taylor Garrett want police to examine the crime scene of his alleged GOP-bashing? "The police report notes that 'Comp refused PES to the location.' The police department press office said that 'comp' stands for complainant and 'PES' stands for Physical Evidence Section, or the department’s crime scene unit."

RoadDaniel Avila, who said homosexuality was caused by interference of the devil in the womb, says he resigned from his position at the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops because of his “desire to see the bishops continue their effective and courageous witness without distraction.”

RoadSophie Ellis-Bextor wants to "F**k with You".

RoadBrazil grants first foreign citizen residency based on same-sex relationship: "Spanish man, Antonio Vega Herrera, and his Brazilian partner live in the town of Aracatuba in Sao Paulo state. The action grows out of an October ruling by country's Supreme Court that recognized same-sex marriage, giving gay couples the rights such as the ability to jointly file taxes and to jointly adopt a child."

RoadFreddie Mercury and Michael Jackson duet tapes to be released.

TuneRoadTommy Tune mounting Studio 54 musical.

RoadBBC anchor Jane Hill to wed girlfriend.

RoadAn interview with a gay activist in Azerbaijan: "Today, our main goal is to offer psychological help to sexual minorities, and we also try to establish communication. Our site is not associated with politics and therefore we do not put any aims in the struggle for our rights on the government level."

RoadSouth Africa denies asylum to Congolese albino gay man.

RoadStudy: LGBT seniors face tough times.

RoadCalifornia mayors support repeal of DOMA: "San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders, a Republican whose decision in 2007 to drop his opposition to same-sex marriage put him at odds with the GOP, has joined Gov. Brown and the mayors of Los Angeles and San Francisco -- all Democrats -- in urging Congress to overturn a law denying recognition of such marriages. Sanders, Brown, L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaragoisa and San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee signed a letter urging members of the Senate Judiciary Committee to advance legislation that would overturn the so-called Defense of Marriage Act."

Comments

1. "The police report notes that 'Comp refused PES to the location.'

Now there is no doubt what so ever that Garrette staged the 2nd "attack" as well

Come on Max and others who kept defending him in spite of the obvious fraud of his first attack..............

with this revelation, defend him now on the 2nd 1

he refused to allow police to investigate the scene of the supposed crime

What a fraud

Posted by: say what | Nov 16, 2011 4:54:28 PM

2. I don't understand this Brazil story. Hasn't this been pemitted in Brazil for years? That is why Glenn Greenwald lives in Rio with his partner. His wikipedia page says he was granted a permanent residency visa based on his (non-marital) homoaffective relationship. His situation was a prominent example when the possibility of DOMA repeal came up. So is there anything new in this story?

Posted by: Dennis | Nov 16, 2011 5:15:52 PM

3. hey dennis, I'm brazilian and i was wondering the same thing. I have some friends that got visas to their partners based on their relationship. My sister actually was doing that to her boyfriend (they are not married, so, they need to apply as if they live in a civil union) and the lawyer said that to gay couples was easier, because they were used to do it. I guess that the difference now is that it is official and before they would analyse each case. Now there is a rule and the minister have to follow...

Posted by: Daniel | Nov 16, 2011 5:38:54 PM

4. When you have every opportunity to come out and you just don't, it doesn't make for a very compelling coming out story.

Posted by: kirkyo | Nov 16, 2011 6:22:00 PM

5. Any gay that willingly hangs out with Ann Coulter is a liar, fraud, and embarrassment by association. These A-List shows are disgusting.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Nov 16, 2011 6:23:34 PM

6. The Steve Kornacki piece was excellent. A lot of people can relate to his story. I've always enjoyed him when he's a guest on Hardball.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Nov 16, 2011 6:29:38 PM

7. Sorry, but Steve Kornacki's story does not garner any sympathy from me.

This man is the news editor of a major website. He is a public figure, with several TV appearances under his belt. How could he not what realize what impact he could make as a publicly identified gay man?

He had his first homosexual experience in college 11 years ago, but only came out this year after realizing hiding in the closet could create problems in a gay relationship?! Seriously?

All this, in the 2000's? Really? What decade did he think he was living in, the 1950's?

AHA, perhaps the most telling quote, "I just didn’t fit the stereotypes of gay men", reveals the real reason for this man's failure to come out earlier in life. He was [hopefully was and no longer is] a self-loathing gay man.

The saddest part is that he was never a bible-thumping, brainwashed type. He simply appears to have "compartmentalized" his adult life. Thankfully, he sobered up and did the right thing. Rather late...

Posted by: Xavi | Nov 16, 2011 11:12:48 PM

8. @Xavi -- sorry to disagree with you, but not everybody comes to this the same way. There are as many different ways to get here as there are people, and it's pretty arrogant for any one of us to dictate how things should go in this life.

The best thing is that he wasn't using his notoriety to hold anyone back. He wasn't a hypocrite, and there's something to be said and commended for about that.

Welcome to the fold, Steve!

Posted by: princely54 | Nov 17, 2011 1:07:31 AM

9. The Kornacki coming-out story is a good read. Three points: the only generalization to be made about gay men is that you can't generalize. Second, not everyone is angry/disappointed/unhappy about being gay - to me it was integral to me being me. Finally, spending your life regretting everything in your past is a load not worth bearing. I wish some things had turned out differently but to second-guess my decision-making process in the past calls into question my decision-making today and in the future. Is that lack of confidence what kept him standing on the diving board all those years?

Posted by: Hue-Man | Nov 17, 2011 3:04:58 AM

10. I just don't get the Kornacki story. No need for debate, but he had an understanding family, friends, location, economic independence, etc.

I'm not trying to insult him. I just will never understand someone at his age having such misgivings in his circumstances.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 17, 2011 4:41:16 AM

11. Ron Paul is not now 'the' Republican frontrunner. Read the poll! It says Ron Paul is now 'a' frontrunner, in Iowa, and that Cain polls higher than him.

Sloppy! But the kind kind of reporting I expect from Towleroad.

Posted by: Jason (the commenter) | Nov 17, 2011 6:12:53 AM

12. @Paul R

I also have an understanding, liberal, loving family . I even have a gay uncle (my god father) who is very much loved and accepted, as is his partner . Still , I didn't come out until last year (I'm 30). Why ? Because in my mind doing so would have diminish my identity even more . I didn't quit realized my uncle was gay until I was 16 , until then I thought he was living with a friend (not a BOYfriend ) even though they shared a bedroom , I just didn't get it . By then I was on my own search for me and everybody always told how much I was like my uncle . When on the phone family members confused us (they still do).And I hated it , I wanted to be an independent person , not a second version of my uncle and I felt my coming out would make ME even more invisible.
    Looking back, I wish things would have been different because it really hurt our relationship . We were always very close , I spent a lot of summer holidays with him and his partner, well until that day in 1997.

Posted by: Aki | Nov 17, 2011 8:25:08 AM

13. Genocidal conservatives in Brazil's national congress are putting marriage rights up to a national referendum - so marriage equality won't last long and Brazil's democracy dies out as equal protection dies.

Posted by: Dan | Nov 19, 2011 8:42:48 AM

14. I applaud Steve Konacki for keeping his lifestyle private for when does it make someone bad to not give details as to what he might do in his bedroom. If anyone has a problem with that, then it is their problem and he handled himself correctly. Whose business is it anyway, other than his and his family if he comes out or not. Is his coming out going to make life better for any gay person? I think not. When gays demanding other gay people to come out regardless of the reason, they are no better than the Nazi's in Germany during Hitler's time labeling people to separate those from the rest of the German people as to who goes into the oven first. Get over yourselves gay people and if you want to come out, come out but respect the rights of others who feel there is no need for anyone to know other than who they chose to tell. Plain and simple, so stop judging this young man for his decision on coming out when he did.

Posted by: Don Edwards | Aug 13, 2012 11:59:29 PM