Nature | News | North Carolina

We're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat: VIDEO

Shark

Several fishermen 25 miles southeast of Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina are paid a visit by an 18-foot Great White Shark.

Beautiful animal, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via reddit)

Comments

1. It would never occur to me to consider shooting it.

great video.

Posted by: chad | Nov 30, 2011 12:55:30 PM

2. God I am SUCH a pussy. I would definitely be like, "sooooooo how long are we going to wait for this thing to attack our boat and eat us, guys?"

Posted by: David in NYC | Nov 30, 2011 1:09:53 PM

3. Makes my hair stand on end watching this - it seems to have some intent.

Posted by: John | Nov 30, 2011 1:10:34 PM

4. The beauty of the animal really carried me away until I was brought back to reality by the human behind the camera: "Is it legal to shoot them?"

Posted by: Demian | Nov 30, 2011 1:12:04 PM

5. I'm with David, it's absolutely magnificent, but holy hell, can you imagine the power? I'd be, "Can we please, please make this boat go as fast as it can -- away from here?"

Shooting it... Well, at least one of the guys said, "What would you gain by doing that?"

Posted by: Linda | Nov 30, 2011 2:05:33 PM

6. That comment about shooting it was so odd. They likely wouldn't have the agility and capacity to bring it aboard if they had shot it, and what would they do even if they did? Shark fin soup isn't exactly in huge demand in North Carolina, and the cost of mounting a shark that was harmlessly swimming around you isn't worth any "bragging" rights.

But yeah, after watching it I hope that they were smart enough to get some distance, given that great whites scare off most everything else in the sea. Otherwise their catch that day would be tiny.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 30, 2011 2:23:22 PM

7. Look how beautiful this magnificent creature is, "Is it illegal to shoot him?".

It's why I find myself embarrassed to admit that I'm American when out of the country.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Nov 30, 2011 2:29:04 PM

8. Yeah you hear someone say "What would be gained by that?". One doofus on the boat and several others thinking clearly. Personally, I would be peeing myself. He's enormous!!!!

Posted by: AJ | Nov 30, 2011 2:58:54 PM

9. You idiots. Sharks do not attack boats or people on purpose. If you listen to the guys talking you would have noticed the shark was circling the boat since the guys were fishing where there was a school of fish.

Bull Sharks may be the more aggressive of the shark family but I highly doubt that the shark would try to charge the boat...unless there was a lot of bait in the water.

Animals like this need to be protected in order to maintain order and balance in the ocean.

Posted by: Craig Mingus | Nov 30, 2011 3:01:17 PM

10. What CRAIG MINGUS said.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 30, 2011 4:58:51 PM

11. @CRAIG. I would still piss myself and probably cry. But I'd have a great story to tell.

Posted by: AJ | Nov 30, 2011 5:06:38 PM

12. such a beautiful fish.

Posted by: Marco | Nov 30, 2011 5:18:29 PM

13. I love how all these tough talking guys are probably pissing in their pants as that great sea beast circles their boat

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 30, 2011 5:20:30 PM

14. Sorry guys, have you not seen shark skin leather before? I wouldn't want to shoot it myself but my first thought would be "What a beautiful shark!" My second thought would be "He would make a beautiful jacket!"

Posted by: Neil | Nov 30, 2011 6:15:35 PM

15. "Can we shoot 'em?" - Gotta love Americans...

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Nov 30, 2011 6:16:51 PM

16. What an amazing and beautiful creature.

She (assume due to size) is not exhibiting any behavior other than curiosity. Could have stayed there all day and watched her glide through the water. Mind you I would never get IN the water, but still...

Posted by: Brian | Dec 1, 2011 10:54:42 AM