Bullying | Lady Gaga | News

BigGayDeal.com

Lady Gaga Surprises High School Student with Anti-Bullying VIDEO

Gaga-bullying

Lady Gaga surprised a Canadian high school student by responding to his request for a video speaking out against bullying, the Canadian Press reports:

School principal Rob MacKinnon said Lady Gaga recorded the video message after student council president Jacques St. Pierre wrote a letter to her several months ago, asking for a word of support for the equality assembly.

The Vancouver Sun adds:

St. Pierre, 17, was motivated to make a change after being bullied himself growing up. As the student council president of the Etobicoke School of the Arts, he organized a school assembly with an anti-bullying theme.

“I got called the gay kid, the fag, because I liked to be in the school plays,” St. Pierre told CBC. “I lost my best friend because he joined in with the bullies. It’s not fun, I’ve been there, I’ve been bullied. Before that, I didn’t know bullying could affect people so severely.”

Gathering pledges from fellow students and contacting an array of celebrities for their support, St. Pierre was overjoyed and emotional after he received Gaga’s heartfelt video voicing her unconditional support for his actions.

Watch Gaga's video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I LOVE YOU GAGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HATERS TAKE SUM SHADE,LET GAGA AND POSITIVE PEOPLE SHINE HELLO!!!!

Posted by: sal | Nov 25, 2011 9:26:25 PM

2. Love her or hate her,you CANNOT deny that NO ONE does more for her fans than Lady Gaga.

Posted by: johnplanxnetwork | Nov 25, 2011 9:52:58 PM

3. I'd be really interested to know whether the endless anti-bullying messages--from the president, celebrities, sports teams, and pretty much every else---have had much effect.

Hopefully bullied kids can let it slide off their backs a bit easier and believe that things will get better. But it's hard for me to imagine that this message is reaching the bullies---whether kids or their backward parents, teachers, principals, and other authority figures.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 25, 2011 10:15:05 PM

4. Oh, that was nice! Good on her!

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 26, 2011 6:51:15 AM

5. Paul R. is correct. As much as the tolerance videos are a step (a VERY small one) we need groups like STAND-UP to do more direct action. How about a toll-free number to report bullying and the ability to put ACTION on the other end of the phone. You report you were bullied - people will come to your school to DEMAND it stop and that ACTION be taken by the school administration AND the local police if needed. ACTIONS speak louder than words.

Posted by: Alan Arthur Chiras | Nov 26, 2011 8:17:06 AM

6. I'm not a fan of Lady Gaga's music, it's just not the type of music I listen to (I was never a Madonna fan either for that matter), but this was an awesome thing for her to do. Whatever I think of her music, it's clear she is a touchstone for many LGBT and questioning youth out there, someone whose message of acceptance touches them personally. So for that I respect her ongoing activism.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 26, 2011 9:24:54 AM

7. I don't think the anti-bullying messages were ever intended to make a difference to the bullies. I think they give hope to the bullied kids, and perhaps most importantly, it is changing the attitude of adults toward bullying. Many adults used to think that kids who were bullied should just suck it up, that it was part of growing up. I think schools and other institutions charged with overseeing kids realize that it is their responsibility to stop bullies and punish them, in large part due to all the awareness the issue has been getting.

Posted by: Hmm | Nov 26, 2011 12:15:58 PM

8. Jeez, so she actually has a dad and he manages all her mail...

I love the setting, as if she's in her bedroom at home, 14 years-old, posters of Wham! on the wall, thinking she's Bette Midler in 'Beaches' and so mad to be famous...

It doesn't matter one bit if her video ever reaches the attention of the bullies...here's one decent young person responding to another even younger person with a gorgeous eloquent depth of understanding. Love her to bits...

Posted by: 2eleven48 | Nov 26, 2011 1:05:30 PM

9. LOVE you GaGa!!! You are so loved and cherished! And you're an asset to this world!

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Nov 26, 2011 4:50:18 PM

10. Cool thing! thanks for sharing. I have never heard about ********!

Posted by: essay examples | Nov 26, 2011 7:03:30 PM

11. Smart, honest, fierce, talented, and kind-hearted. I love her.

Posted by: Akira | Nov 27, 2011 12:41:57 PM

12. This, compared to the recent article from T.I. suggesting he supports violent messages to gays, shows how much GAGA really DOES care for her fans and LGBT youth.

Posted by: Reality | Nov 28, 2011 8:10:14 PM

13. If you are a corporation seeking to improve staff morale, improve productivity, or develop better,customar relation skills,you may want to consider trainings to "stress managenent" or conflict resolution.

Posted by: anti-bullying | Dec 11, 2011 6:06:36 PM