News | T.I.

T.I. Tells TMZ He Stands By His Comments About Being Able to Speak Against Gay People in Peace: VIDEO

Rapper T.I. called in to TMZ to talk about his recent comments in defense of Tracy Morgan to Vibe magazine, in which he said that celebrities should be allowed to speak out against gay people without fear of being shut down.

Ti_tmzSaid. T.I.: "“They’re like,‘If you have an opinion against us, we’re gonna shut you down.’ ... That’s not American. If you’re gay you should have the right to be gay in peace, and if you’re against it you should have the right to be against it in peace.’"

TMZ asked T.I. about the comments:

"I was quoted correctly, but I was taken out of context...I'm not saying that being gay is being un-American. What I was saying was to use whatever power or authority you have to shut people down because they don't agree with you that's not what America was built upon. The institution allows us, it affords us the right, to speak out peacefully and respectfully in opposition of any point or any topic that comes up...I'm not against gay marriage...but for the people who may have an opinion against it, then for the corporations to throw their weight around to shut them down, that's not fair."

He added: "It's about people who take themselves too seriously, any group. It's not just about gays, I think that African Americans groups sometimes take things a tad too seriously too...If you use the "n" word like Don Imus and say something that's completely derogatory and disrespectful, that's understandable. But if you just have an opinion on something that just happens to be related to the African American culture and it's in opposition, then they have no right to shut you down either."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. T.I. seems like a fairly articulate guy. Since he's wasting everyone's time telling us that it's OK for people to speak out against gays and whatever they want, maybe he could use his voice and energy better and speak the truth about how the viciously anti-gay black community has done absolutely nothing to combat the spread of AIDS. Black people are notorious for hating gay people, helping to stop them from having equality, and resenting it when gays compare their struggle to blacks. Thousands of black men are on the "down low" because they are afraid to be themselves in their own community - they go out and screw some guy, without a condom (because condoms are not manly), then they come home and infect their girlfriends.

Then, desperate black people come to the AIDS services established by gay men, like Gay Men's Health Crisis in NYC, because there are no services in their own community because, again, black people have done nothing. Then, while they're there, they harass the gay men who work there and who are clients there for being faggots.

Black churches have done as much to spread ignorance and fear about gays as the most backward white churches. Black kids are thrown our of their homes by stupid, homophobic parents. Black rappers and reggae singers sing about killing gays. Blacks in Africa, including presidents of countries, make baing gay illegal and threaten them with death just for being who they are.

Black people have done as much as anyone on earth to make the lives of gay people miserable, all because they are afraid of seeming like sissies. Within every straight black man there's a closet pimp, who wants to be the big man and parade around his whores.

Is this all OK with him? If it is, then he's just another idiot with a mic.

Posted by: Jim | Nov 29, 2011 12:03:14 PM

2. rick complains all the time about "effeminate gay men" - yet he also continues to defend his "right" to be a coward and still live a semi-Closeted life.

RICK, if you're such a man why not post a link to your own blog/page where you show us all what a fine example of a "butch masculine gay man" you are?

oh, wait. you can't. you don't have the BALLS to be Out.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 29, 2011 12:06:12 PM

3. @Cris
    What is it about people that they have no concept about what free speech is?!?!
    T.I. is free to spout any and all homophobia he wants... and according to the first Amendment the government cannot throw him in jail for it. Also, gay activists have the right to speak! They can make all the noise they want against T.I., call for boycotts, everything! The first Amendment does not prevent the free speech of individuals who wish to criticize others for the things they've said.
    THE FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT ONLY CONCERNS THE GOVERNMENT SHUTTING PEOPLE UP! ONLY GOVERNMENT ACTION AGAINST FREE SPEECH IS PROHIBITED BY THIS AMENDMENT. Christ, this is a basic concept in the law... and from what I can see, not many people on this site have a clue. A very sad statement for American democracy.

Posted by: Dan Cobbb | Nov 29, 2011 12:08:17 PM

4. He's stupid. What else is there to say?

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Nov 29, 2011 12:08:21 PM

5. I hate niggars and I should be left in peace.

Posted by: daneilw | Nov 29, 2011 12:10:54 PM

6. @DanCobbb, you're associating an ENTIRE continent with a statement made by an ignorant African-AMERICAN. Something's wrong with your comment there boo.

Posted by: Monsieur V | Nov 29, 2011 12:11:10 PM

7. I'd like to hear TI's opinion of this lovely, young mother expressing her heartfelt and sincere opinion:

I'd also like to know if he thinks those who are complaining about it are too sensitive and trying to shut down free speech.

I'm sure he would tie himself in knots explaining how this is very different from saying negative things about gays.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Nov 29, 2011 12:17:20 PM

8. Hey TI, go to a Klan Rally and then get back to us.

Posted by: QJ201 | Nov 29, 2011 12:39:40 PM

9. @Rick

"...at the same time that they find the effeminacy of so many gay men and their iconization of women (the "diva" phenomenon) repulsive and incomprehensible..."

Does this mean that our super secret clandestine libidinous iconic relationship is now over, that I'm no longer the Gorgo to your Leonidas?

I'm crushed.

Is it because you think I'm only after your peach pie?

Posted by: Rin | Nov 29, 2011 12:50:49 PM

10. So apparently the only option is for me to peacefully be gay and for anti-gay bigots to peacefully spew their hatred. I'm not allowed to peacefully express my disgust, or peacefully criticize someone's backward views, or peacefully hold a person or a company to a higher standard.

I would also like to know which corporations are "throwing their weight around to shut down" anti-gay bigots. Those are corporations that I will support.

Posted by: Mick | Nov 29, 2011 1:15:51 PM

11. Also- Tracy Morgan- who's real crime is that he IS NOT and NEVER WAS really funny- said he'd stab his gay child to death. That was it- no punch line. He said it was a joke- now T.I. says pple should be allowed to criticize- which this wasn't a criticism. It was- god knows what- maybe ignorance desperately trying to be humor. I never thought Tracy was homophobic, just ignorant.
    But the media- in whatever form should've played the Tracy clip or quoted the "joke" -as TI referenced Tracy- and said " Is thatwhtvyouean as criticism?" pple need to be called on their sh*t!

I think there are some valid criticisms of our community, as there is with ANY type of community- gays, Asians, seniors, people who talk on their cellphones in a restroom- but racism and bigotry are NOT criticism.
    And I think while some of us are sensitive about different aspects of being gay- vey few of us are delicate flowers who can't take a joke. As long as the person telling it can take one back- in pretty cool.

Posted by: Scott | Nov 29, 2011 1:49:50 PM

12. Yet another downlow brother

Posted by: michael | Nov 29, 2011 1:51:01 PM

13. Dan Cobb has it.
    Freedom of speech means you can say XYZ. It also means I have the freedom to criticize you for it. It also means I have the freedom to broadcast that criticism wherever I can find a willing venue. It means I have the freedom to tell others of my criticism. I have the freedom to organize with those of us who are critical. I have the freedom to tell businesses that I will be taking my eyes/ears/wallet elsewhere.
    Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism, it does not guarantee you airtime, a venue, or a medium to speak. It does mean that folks are free to celebrate or denigrate you for what you say.
    Freedom of speech is a two way street.

Posted by: JayKingOfGay | Nov 29, 2011 2:39:20 PM

14. If I had a child who came home from school and he was black and a terrible rapper, I would kill him.

Posted by: Maddog | Nov 29, 2011 3:11:29 PM

15. Maybe I'm just out of the loop or too old or maybe it's just that I'm not into rap that much, but I gotta ask:

Who the heck is T.I.?

Posted by: Matt S | Nov 29, 2011 5:21:04 PM

16. I simply had to post at how hilarious it is that you're not even getting the irony of how many of you have done to him et al exactly what you've accused him of doint to others! I see "those rappers," "those people," "that type" all over this thread! Stereotyping him because why? Did he mention it was a "rap thang?" No, he gave his thoughts on the subject at the risk of the gay community going ballistic which of course isn't far from the truth! At least T.I was honest and not pretending he didn't have an opinion like some. At least he hasn't tried to dial it back and SWEAR he was misquted. I respect that over some of these celebs only on the gay support bandwagon because its good pr.

Posted by: TheIrony | Nov 29, 2011 5:53:57 PM

17. theirony....you "respect" someone sharing that they don't understand the first amendment or the legitimate prejudices that the LGBT community face?

and you literally believe that pro-Equality celebs are on a "pr bandwagon" and not genuine? really?

specific examples with citation? can you name someone that you know is anti-gay who pretends not to be for "pr reasons"?

specifics, please.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 29, 2011 5:59:51 PM

18. Here you f@ggots go again! You have the right to freedom of speech too. It's not like most of you like Blacks Gay, or straight anyway. So if they (whites) don't want to serve Blacks they don't have to. And if you white gays don't like us Blacks gays. You don't have to keep it real queens. Lets face it. The mere fact that when a Black person says something it brings out the worst in your white ass. So we're use to it. Carry on f@ggots!

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Nov 30, 2011 1:12:18 AM

19. Anti-gay rhetoric is an attempt to 'shut us down'.

We're just treating you like you treat us.

If you can't handle that, then keep your festering bigoted mis-informed opinions to yourself.

Posted by: Jexer | Nov 30, 2011 2:08:54 AM

20. I can't believe some of you are actually defending this ignoramus.

@ Rick. You write: "when it gets to the point where you cannot say anything "negative" about a group's culture or an individual belonging to that group, you have gone too far as a society"
    and "but it should not be totally off-limits for a non-member to do so."

You either have internalized shame or a deep lack of comprehension skills. What this guys is doing is dehumanizing gay people. He is not talking an individual or a culture!

T.I. says: "If you’re gay you should have the right to be gay in peace, and if you’re against it you should have the right to be against it in peace.’"

Human beings are not an it. They cannot be reduced to a thing, like he does. Can you be against Black people? can you be against Asian people or Latinos and called them it? Yes, and that makes you a racist.

Being against gay people based on who they are makes you a bigot and a homophobe. It is irrational and you fail to understand the difference.

What he is saying is akin to a racist saying I'm against black people because I don't like the color of their skin but if they chose to be black they should be black in peace and I should be able to fight against their civil rights because the bible says it's a sin. Genesis 9:20 (Ham)...Oh, wait. That was the rational for using scripture to justify slavery against black people.

I am illustrating a point, for those of you who lack reading comprehension skills, and I'm using his race in particular because it is as innate to him as falling in love with a person of the same gender is to a GLBT person.

Posted by: truthteller | Nov 30, 2011 2:16:52 AM

21. Anti-gay rhetoric is an attempt to 'shut us down'.

We're just treating you like you treat us.

Posted by: Jexer | Nov 30, 2011 2:08:54

Jexer...who's US????? The white gays??? GURL Please STFU!

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Nov 30, 2011 3:12:20 AM

22. Nice to see the racists out and about. T.I. is a moron, but I don't see what idiocy has to do with his race or the entire black community. It seems that some of you are just as or even more moronic than this rapper.

Posted by: Dave | Nov 30, 2011 10:36:06 AM

23. Nice post. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! I've been looking for books of this nature for a way too long. I'm just glad that I found yours. Looking forward for your next post. Thanks :)

Posted by: Honeywell Humidifiers | Mar 13, 2012 1:33:38 AM

24. Nice post. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! I've been looking for books of this nature for a way too long. I'm just glad that I found yours. Looking forward for your next post. Thanks :)

Posted by: unsecured loans | Mar 28, 2012 2:23:09 AM

25. It was an excellent effort made by you through your nice piece of writing, holding the quality and knowledge together for the readers.

Posted by: Umpire Training videos | Apr 3, 2012 5:56:11 AM