David Mizejewski | Nature | News | Ross Mathews | Ross the Intern

Ross Matthews Meets a Gay Naturalist and a Cane Toad: VIDEO

Matthews

Out gay National Wildlife Federation naturalist David Mizejewski made his debut on Chelsea Lately last night while Ross Matthews was filling in, and elicited the reactions you might expect from Matthews as he introduced him to a baby wallaby, a cane toad, a juvenile cassowary, a screaming hairy armadillo and a 400 lb Russian wild boar.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. An "Out Wildlife Naturalist" isn't something you hear about very often. I certainly hope we get to see a lot more of Mr. Mizejewski!

Posted by: RaleighRob | Nov 15, 2011 8:49:48 AM

2. What about that "screaming hairy armadillo" as a poor representative of the Armadillo Bear Community?

Posted by: gregory brown | Nov 15, 2011 9:57:30 AM

3. I don't find the persona here any more offensive that the Paul Rubens "PeeWee Herman" character. And, in fact, I've known a few men who act and sound much like this--including at least one certifiably He-tero guy. Everybody can't be butch like me...

Posted by: gregory brown | Nov 15, 2011 10:07:42 AM

4. The main reason I like Ross is because I don't believe it IS a "persona" or an act. I seriously doubt that the moment the cameras are off his voice reverts to a Dragnet "just the facts, ma'am" deep timbre.

IF he were putting it on then I'd have a problem, but I don't think that's the case.

It's unfortunate most viewers probably didn't realize the naturalist is gay as well since together they demonstrate opposite ends of a spectrum, but I don't expect them to announce "And our next guest is GAY naturalist David Mizejewski!" In fact it would probably be offensive if they did.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 15, 2011 10:23:05 AM

5. Thank you Phil, you said it all.

I guess the worst homophobia is still in the gay community.

The straight assholes will take what the intolerant queers have said and use it against us all, "you see, even your own kind hates you".

I thought we were all a little more evolved than that, but I guess some of us aren't.

Passing for "straight" is still the ultimate goal for many homophobic queers and it's just a foolish as that Cassowary trying to pass for the Wild Boar.

Thank you David for showing us the animals and having fun with Ross.

To the haters out there, go marry a woman and really try to pass for straight, we don't want you.

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 15, 2011 10:53:35 AM

6. I enjoyed this episode very much. It was better than Cats.

Posted by: Mike F | Nov 15, 2011 11:02:31 AM

7. @Brian in Texas, thanks for pointing that out. If Ross and I represent different sides of the gay spectrum, I think that's awesome. I think there's room for both of us, not only in the gay community but even more importantly in the broader mainstream media. Certainly being stereotyped in the media as "silly flamboyant faggot" has been a problem in the past, but one that seems to be significantly changing. There are "straight acting" (a term I hate but can't think of anothe way of saying it) gay people and characters all over TV and movies today. I think now it's more important to get across the idea that you can be gay and butch, or gay and fem, and that there's not a damn thing wrong with either one. We won't have full equality until both Ross and I have full freedom to be exactly who we naturally are. And I can confirm that Ross is not putting on an act with his voice or mannerisms, he's just being who he is and I think that's great.

Posted by: David Mizejewski | Nov 15, 2011 11:27:42 AM

8. Well said!

Posted by: Jana | Nov 15, 2011 11:37:35 AM

9. I agree with David, you could just say masculine... instead of straight acting.

I grew up in the Seattle area in the 90's, a lot of my straight friends were more feminine than I am!

Go David and Ross!

Posted by: Shawn | Nov 15, 2011 12:06:36 PM

10. I don't think it truly matters whether Ross is putting on a performance or if he is truly a rather flamboyant fellow. To insist that we need to conform to what is expected of a man is still dangerously close in my opinion to a level of intolerance that can result in active prejudice. Instead we need to be comfortable with the idea that people come in all sizes, colors and demeanor.

Posted by: Daniel | Nov 15, 2011 12:29:24 PM

11. It really is amazing and sad that there are so many homophobic homosexuals that help to empower discrimination against the GLBT community. How can I as a gay man expect to be accepted by people that see me as different, if i can not even accept other gay men just because they have different mannerisms. It's not just the "fem" gays that are not allowed to marry. And DADT did not just prevent "fem" gays from serving in the military. It was all of us. If we can't accept the people in our own community why would anyone else?

Posted by: michael | Nov 15, 2011 12:48:12 PM

12. I love Ross. He's so funny and seems like a genuinely nice guy. I'm a little taken aback at these comments about him being a fagala and just on the show because he's "safe" and conforms to the hetero-normative stereotypes of what a gay man is. I think Ross is funny and is living the life. I think any sort of gay presence in the mainstream, whether it be flamboyantly gay, butch, daddies, jock, or anything in between is great. It reminds me of John Inman on are you being served. Yes, he was a stereotype, but tell me you don't know people exactly like that? And I think it helps give the gay community exposure. To Ross: Get it gurl!

Posted by: Jason | Nov 15, 2011 2:28:45 PM

13. HEART ROSS! That Queen is quick with the funny! Loves!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Nov 15, 2011 3:10:42 PM

14. Hey, Towleroad -- Ross's name is spelled wrong everywhere in your story, headline, and tags. It's Mathews with a single T.

Posted by: Bakely | Nov 15, 2011 9:37:59 PM

15. I am appalled - APPALLED - at some of the negative comments toward Ross. It's insanity is what it is. Why on earth would people make such comments about another human being? I sincerely hope these people making those disheartening comments about Ross are not fellow LGBTers. It would be even more tragic if they are, if that's even possible.

Posted by: James | Nov 15, 2011 11:33:16 PM