Coldplay | News | YouTube

Mike Tompkins Covers Every Inch of Coldplay's 'Paradise' Acapella: VIDEO

Tompkins

Who needs instruments when you have Mike Tompkins?

See him cover every part of Coldplay's "Paradise", AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Unbelievable!

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 9, 2011 10:59:34 AM

2. If he doesn't screw up this kid's got a lot of fun and a good income for the rest of his life. He's great and everyone's going to notice.

Posted by: uffda | Nov 9, 2011 11:04:40 AM

3. That was annoying.

Posted by: rjmarch | Nov 9, 2011 11:19:21 AM

4. It's fantastic- but his little explanation at the end isn't accurate. His voice is obviously distorted on more than just one of those voice-captures.

Quick question: can we really still call it "acapella" when the person uses Auto-tune or other voice-altering software to reach octaves or create sound effects that wouldn't otherwise be feasible? This is an honest question and not meant to be insulting the guy- what he did was great (although some of his facial expressions freaked me out). I just don't know what falls under the category of true acapella anymore with the advent of all these new technological enhancements.

Posted by: Aedan | Nov 9, 2011 11:27:12 AM

5. He lied! He also used his hands (to clap). But I digress.

I could digress with him for a while, actually.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 9, 2011 11:28:52 AM

6. Not only is the talent absolutely phenomenal, the amount of effort and time it took to make this is must be mind-boggling.

Upward and onward, sir.

Posted by: Mark | Nov 9, 2011 11:30:30 AM

7. I sat through the entire video. I thought he was cute and kinda talented! Much better for him than turning into a gang banger.

Posted by: Tim | Nov 9, 2011 11:30:31 AM

8. It makes you realize how untalented some people like Katy Perry, Britney, lil wayne etc. really are.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Nov 9, 2011 12:24:29 PM

9. Wow!

Fernlaplante: Amen!

I also agree with Aedan. I'm not sure whether or not this could be considered truly acapella, with the amount of electronic tweaking that was done, but ... I mean .. just, wow!

Posted by: fritzrth | Nov 9, 2011 2:06:45 PM

10. This guy annoys me as hell, and yet I can't stop watching...
    Sadly he's married, oh well I'll just enjoy the videos.

Posted by: Antonio | Nov 9, 2011 5:43:38 PM

11. It'd be cuter if the kid wasn't obviously so full of himself.

Posted by: Ken | Nov 9, 2011 5:52:58 PM

12. Well a fun collection of electronically distorted elements to create a band sound... something they were doing back in the 90's with Midi Keyboards and electronically captured sounds. So a fun little ditty. I guess I am getting old... seeing those pants bag in back made me think he had a load in there. I guess it's true, stuff that is stupid looking is cool to kids who don't know any better. By old I mean I am 46 years, actively use an iPad / iPhone and Computer / dress in jeans, t-shirts and some button down stuff, currently follow Community, Dr. Who, Castle, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, like some of the Lady GaGa stuff (but remember Madonna when she started). and am fairly active doing KettleBells for lifting. So I am youngish old.

Posted by: Blair Slavin | Nov 9, 2011 6:56:23 PM

13. WOW, that was freakin amazing. What a talent!

Posted by: Chris | Nov 9, 2011 8:44:08 PM

14. Shug got talent!

Posted by: justandra | Nov 10, 2011 11:01:58 AM

15. He imitates each instrument 'used' in the end of the video and I'm SURE one of them was his O-face, but there were so many to choose from!

Posted by: Drew | Nov 11, 2011 2:21:01 PM