99 Percent Movement | California

UC Davis Chancellor's Walk Of Shame: VIDEO

WalkofShame
In the wake of the shameful dousing of peaceable UC Davis college students with pepper spray on Friday -- which resulted in at least one girl's hospitalization for chemical burns -- the student body has directed its scorn at Chancellor Linda Katehi, who approved the police action against her students. The students' anger has taken the form of a silent protest.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP, as Chancellor Katehi walks to her car.

Comments

1. galore

No, I was making a point that the if the police are going to bust protests the normal scenario is to go in and lift them up and carry them away

Posted by: say what | Nov 20, 2011 8:45:18 PM

2. Say What, point taken, but I kinda agree with Galore. It's their campus. As long as they are peaceful, just leave them there. But I wonder if there were any provocations. There often are.

Posted by: Max | Nov 20, 2011 9:26:45 PM

3. I'd really like to see Katehi talk to the parents of the kids who got pepper sprayed. I'm pretty sure the parents wouldn't be silent.

Posted by: homer | Nov 20, 2011 10:30:07 PM

4. For those who want to know what happened beforehand: http://boingboing.net/2011/11/20/ucdeyetwitness.html

Posted by: AJS | Nov 21, 2011 12:15:54 AM

5. This was an entirely peaceful protest. Read the interviews of students sprayed. One of my student employees (I am staff at UC Davis) was sprayed merely for yelling angrily. The pprotesters crossed no lines. Thiss is a school knownn for quiet, geeky, vets, doctors and lawyers. It was unthinkable what happened. There is a rally tomorrow, and the word s that it will be silennt when Katehi speaks. To further shame the administration.

Posted by: Daniel | Nov 21, 2011 3:18:52 AM

6. I really fail to see how the First Amendment fully protects the cretins at Westboro Baptist Church who spew hate, lies, and bigotry but allows for the physical assault of peaceful protesters who are sitting on the ground. The police say they were surrounded? From all the footage I have seen and interviews I have read, I fail to understand why these police could not simply step over the seated protesters... I mean if they really, truly felt they were surrounded and in such mortal danger.

Posted by: shaun | Nov 21, 2011 8:33:36 AM

7. I will give the Chancellor credit for actually walking the walk - she could have dodged it, could have talked the whole way down, but she didn't. In a way I think she was showing respect.

I'm impressed that the students were able to keep themselves SILENT. We're so used to screaming, loud people acting on impulse. This was impressive.

One thing I would like to see is the police accepting responsibility for the decision. The chancellor is taking a lot of heat for her decision (perhaps rightly so), but at least she's stepping up and facing the music. It would be nice to see the police do the same. A comment such as "the chancellor asked us to help, and she trusted our judgement as experts in this type of matter. She did not ask us to pepper-spray students. That decision was made by our own officers. We will investigate to the fullest to see if her trust in us was misplaced."

Posted by: Yeek | Nov 21, 2011 2:19:08 PM

8. POLICE STATE! We pay the salaries of these law officers to protect us not, treat us as threats and pepper spray us. There needs to be a major investigation of this incident and deal harshly with those who overstepped their bounds.

Posted by: Bill Cooney | Nov 21, 2011 2:33:04 PM