99 Percent Movement | Law Enforcement | News | Occupy Wall Street

BigGayDeal.com

UC Davis Pepper Spray Officer Also a Homophobe

Pike

One of the officers involved in the UC Davis pepper spray incident, Lt. John Pike, has a record:

But an alleged anti-gay slur by Pike also figured in a racial and sexual discrimination lawsuit a former police officer filed against the department, which ended in a $240,000 settlement in 2008. Officer Calvin Chang's 2003 discrimination complaint against the university's police chief and the UC Board of Regents alleged he was systematically marginalized as the result of anti-gay and racist attitudes on the force, and he specifically claimed Pike described him using a profane anti-gay epithet.

Katehi identified Pike as one of the officers involved in the pepper-spray incident in an interview with the campus television station Sunday, and university communications staff confirmed his role Tuesday.

(via americablog)

Comments

1. Well it's official: As a resident of Davis, CA I no longer feel safe leaving my house, at all. Too bad though, it's a really nice place...

Posted by: Tim | Nov 24, 2011 4:35:47 AM

2. Damn 240k worth of homophobia that's awesome.

Posted by: MKe | Nov 24, 2011 6:15:21 AM

3. I'm a UC alum and I can say with certaintude that the folks on the UC Police force are the ones who can't make the cut of a real City Police force or as a rural Deputy County Sheriff. This fat homophobe, Pike, illustrates my point.

Posted by: chasmader | Nov 24, 2011 9:15:14 AM

4. Leadership from a Lieutenant, right? Disparage the growing LGBT population, stroll through a crowd with pepper spray as casual as watering lillies.

As a man of stout rank [stout man of rank?], he displays such qualities as to be commended, per his rank and his office, doesn't he?

Furthermore, others are taking up his lead - like the mention by Megyn Kelly of pepper spray being, "A food product, essentially", followed in today's news by the Los Angeles area Wal-Mart shopper, who deemed it fun to spice up this Holiday season, right?

Oh, my. Did I miss something?

Posted by: the_kcar | Nov 25, 2011 7:15:00 AM

5. I'm sorry, but I flat ran out of outrage after I read the Mugabe story and now I'm just numb. But yeah, no surprise. A certified ass who's also homophobic. :|

Posted by: ophu | Nov 26, 2011 2:31:47 AM

6. Your blog is a great one. What really impresses me is that you are correctly mentioned that there are thousands of tools that are available to create a website or launch one but what matters is that you choose the right one, the one that gives you all that is actually needed

Posted by: longchamp le pliage | Dec 9, 2011 3:42:22 AM