Wyoming Football Coach Quits Over Survey Asking Players if They're 'Queer' or Have 'Woman-Like Hormones'

Hurtfeelings

Pat Lynch, the football coach of Buffalo High School in Wyoming resigned this week after it was revealed he had handed out an offensive "Hurt Feelings Report" to players which included boxes for them to check with attributes like "I am a pussy", "I am a queer", "I am a little bitch", and "My butt is easily hurt" (see above).

LynchSaid Lynch in a resignation letter to the school board, according to the Buffalo Bulletin:

“I would like to apologize for my lack of judgment and the poor choice that I made from my position as head football coach for Buffalo High School. I know that this situation has caused you pain and discomfort, and for that I am truly sorry. As a person and a professional, I believe I will learn and grow from this experience and use it to help others. I appreciate having had the opportunity to coach in this community for the past 22 years. It has been a rewarding experience. I am eager to earn back your trust as I continue to serve in a profession that I truly love.”

Despite his resignation as football coach and weight room supervisor, Lynch is being allowed to remain on at the school as a guidance counselor, the Casper Tribune reports. (because I'm sure all the LGBTQ kids will feel comfortable talking to him)

Comments

1. When I read that he was a guidance counselor, I literally yelped "Whoa!"

Posted by: Thomas | Nov 11, 2011 5:56:21 PM

2. this little survey has been around for years - i always thought it was funny.

Posted by: jeremy | Nov 11, 2011 6:00:59 PM

3. While I can see why he might chuckle at it, it's COMPLETELY out of line for him to passing this around school, especially to his young and impressionable students. This is far too common in Sports in 2011.

Posted by: Mark | Nov 11, 2011 6:04:39 PM

4. guidance counselor?!! f that. please let there be enough of an uproar to can his ass.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Nov 11, 2011 6:04:52 PM

5. GUIDANCE COUNSELOR???!!!???? WTF.

Posted by: Raybob | Nov 11, 2011 6:05:34 PM

6. Seriously, WTF. My head, I can't. WTF!?!?!

Posted by: Jesus | Nov 11, 2011 6:09:58 PM

7. And we wonder why athletes don't come out...

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Nov 11, 2011 6:13:33 PM

8. @ Jeremy: Thanks for the note! I think we sometimes rush to judgement and fail to recall that, for some of us, much of this new world of sensitivity and diversity is hard to get a handle on. When I was a kid (40+ years ago), that "survey" would have been very funny. I suspect my teachers would have gotten a hoot out of it. My gym teacher regularly "motivated" us with negative comparisons to his grandma, and nobody reprimanded him for sexism or related concerns. The basic point is that our country doesn't all change in the same direction at the same time; different sectors have different "learning curves" just as individuals have. Even the best of us sometimes make bad choices. I'll bet, in the absence of other evidence, that's the case here.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Nov 11, 2011 6:16:55 PM

9. Guidance Counselor? That's worse!

Posted by: Steve | Nov 11, 2011 6:21:59 PM

10. He's a guidance counselor? This is a bad joke, right?

Posted by: RJ | Nov 11, 2011 6:24:36 PM

11. Jeremy and Chuck Mielke... yes, this joke survey is somewhat funny... if it was being circulated by a frat house or was featured on the sitcom Blue Mountain State. But it's exceeding bad judgment coming from someone whose job it is to counsel and guide all types of students.

Posted by: RJ | Nov 11, 2011 6:29:13 PM

12. And a butt ugly guidance counsellor to boot. I believe that's what's known as adding insult to injury.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Nov 11, 2011 6:32:18 PM

13. The fact that he's been made a guidance counselor only shows that they really don't have a clue or care about what a counselor does. They obviously have the role there because they have to as a formality. Such a shame that given opportunities to really help their young people, they only know how to teach kids that the people there to help them can't be trusted.

Posted by: Tim | Nov 11, 2011 6:36:58 PM

14. OK, I know the report's been out for a while. And I might (not really) see how an adult could think this was funny. But a Guidance Counselor? To high school children? Really? Frankly I see it as intimidation at best.

Posted by: BostonGRiTS | Nov 11, 2011 6:39:00 PM

15. @RJ:
    You're absolutely right.

Posted by: Chris | Nov 11, 2011 6:50:47 PM

16. sometimes people just need to learn to laugh at things in life. honestly, whose feelings were hurt by this?

Posted by: jeremy | Nov 11, 2011 6:52:41 PM

17. That's the face of a lover.

Posted by: Spraypaintedgold | Nov 11, 2011 6:55:22 PM

18. funny enough if its just a joke. maybe joking around like that with HS students isn't that appropriate but still, hard to tell if he was just trying to be a commedian or not.

Posted by: MKe | Nov 11, 2011 7:00:09 PM

19. A guidance counselor?! How the %#(@ would he respond to someone who was truly being bullied, suck it up Nancy boy?

Posted by: Grant | Nov 11, 2011 7:01:11 PM

20. While this is reprehensible / crosses the line, I do wonder where all this "political correctness" and anti-bullying is going.

While the bully ostracizing anyone who's different may be due partly to insecurity, I think there's some aspect of human nature involved.

Isn't it human nature to give people a little bit of a hard time when they don't conform to societal norms?

That does not mean we should all conform to norms...but, when we don't, we need to be prepared for some form of unwanted attention.

Anything physical, or the threat of anything physical is not OK. But kidding-around? Jokes?

Consider this:
    In my opinion, for centuries all immigrants wanted was to be "American". Now even people who have been here for generations want to be "hyphenated" Americans.

African-Americans in particular. I can see us wanting to identify ourselves as "Gay-Americans". When we make a point that we're different, how can we expect others to treat us as if we're the same as they are.

If we (gays, blacks, Mexicans, etc.) want to be treated the same as everyone else, should we not try to fit-in? That does not mean we lose our identity - just that we try to "fit-in".

Posted by: Chris | Nov 11, 2011 7:04:54 PM

21. Is this from "THE ONION?" - LOL - I mean, this is a straight up joke, right? The picture of this guy even looks cartoonish! And, the letter is actually funny and creative, if I was in a Timewarp that landed me back into 1971!

GET HIM THE F OUT OF THAT SCHOOL!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Nov 11, 2011 7:16:29 PM

22. @Chris: Please give me a list of instructions for how to fit-in. For instance, should I marry a woman so that I fit-in? Should I yell 'faggot' when I see an effeminate guy on the street? Should I beat the tar out of two guys for holding hands? Please, let me know what I should do to conform so that I don't offend straight people and, thus, get what's coming to me.

I am a gay American whether I call myself that or not. And I already tore my closet door off the hinges. It was a lot of work. I don't take kindly to you insinuating that it was a waste of time. I don't even know if you realize it, but that's what you're saying. This line that you're suggesting we walk - "not hiding our identity" but trying to "fit-in" is a line that is so thin that I'm not even sure it is visible.

I grew up in a small town and played high school sports. The attitudes of my coaches and teachers toward those who were perceived to be different had a real effect on me. While I was not (usually) singled out as different – I'm one of those guys that can "pass," for what that's worth – their attitudes filled me with dread. It made me feel that it if I was ever "found out," it would be the end of me. That's NOT how coaches and teachers should be making kids feel. Not at all. I can only imagine what it felt like for the couple of classmates I had that were effeminate in their mannerisms. Not good.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Nov 11, 2011 7:22:45 PM

23. @Chris: no. Why should anyone be forced to fit in to whatever other people define as "normal"? I would prefer that everyone be true to themselves. Otherwise it's a lie. That not being overly PC, it's allowing for freedom of expression.

And this kind of thing, even in Wyoming (where my entire family save me was born), is utterly hideous for high school students. Sure, maybe most of the team laughed it off. I'm sure they all know the words. But getting encouragement to mock/bully the "weaklings" from an authority figure is reprehensible. And what about the chance that there may be gay kids on the team or under his "guidance" as a "counselor"?

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 11, 2011 7:23:58 PM

24. Chad Bourgeois is the Principal of Buffalo High - email him at cbourgeois@jcsd1.us with your outrage at the school's decision to keep Mr. Lynch on at the school as a guidance counselor. Mr. Lynch should be no where near any children.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 11, 2011 7:43:32 PM

25. Guidance counselor?! WTF?

Posted by: romeo | Nov 11, 2011 7:56:10 PM