BigGayDeal.com

Wyoming Football Coach Quits Over Survey Asking Players if They're 'Queer' or Have 'Woman-Like Hormones'

Hurtfeelings

Pat Lynch, the football coach of Buffalo High School in Wyoming resigned this week after it was revealed he had handed out an offensive "Hurt Feelings Report" to players which included boxes for them to check with attributes like "I am a pussy", "I am a queer", "I am a little bitch", and "My butt is easily hurt" (see above).

LynchSaid Lynch in a resignation letter to the school board, according to the Buffalo Bulletin:

“I would like to apologize for my lack of judgment and the poor choice that I made from my position as head football coach for Buffalo High School. I know that this situation has caused you pain and discomfort, and for that I am truly sorry. As a person and a professional, I believe I will learn and grow from this experience and use it to help others. I appreciate having had the opportunity to coach in this community for the past 22 years. It has been a rewarding experience. I am eager to earn back your trust as I continue to serve in a profession that I truly love.”

Despite his resignation as football coach and weight room supervisor, Lynch is being allowed to remain on at the school as a guidance counselor, the Casper Tribune reports. (because I'm sure all the LGBTQ kids will feel comfortable talking to him)

Comments

1. DAMN DAMN DAMN, i rather they keep him as a coach than a Guidance counselor.

Posted by: johnosahon | Nov 11, 2011 8:15:57 PM

2. I don't find his little hand out funny at all, but the fact that the school would make this neanderthal a counselor is hilarious in a most horrific way

Posted by: DearComrade | Nov 11, 2011 8:39:58 PM

3. I actually went to Buffalo High School with this joke of a person as my guidence counselor. He's always been a useless, arrogant ass and its great that he's finally getting noticed for what he really is. He's never had any business being near high school kids in general, let alone lgbtiq kids. I talked to my mom back in Buffalo and she said that there was enough parent outrage over this issue that he actually might be forced to resign after this school year. As out lesbian, it really sucks that my hometown and state only make news in our comminuty for being ignorant and backward regarding lgbtiq issues. I love Wyoming but I could never live there again

Posted by: MTgirl | Nov 11, 2011 8:43:39 PM

4. Let's see, he uses the word "queer" to describe gays and he equates being gay with wanting to be a woman. He is either a homophobe or a cutting edge "queer academic". For that matter, Andy Towle uses the word "queer" on this site and casually smears gay people as something called "LGBTQ" which represents that gay people are inextricably linked with crossdressers and transsexuals. Andy and this coach should be BFFs.

Posted by: Timothy | Nov 11, 2011 8:45:24 PM

5. Wow. That handout was neither funny or appropriate. How on earth does he still have a job? And as a counselor?!?!?

Posted by: daws | Nov 11, 2011 8:56:39 PM

6. He has Michelle Bachman eyes, especially the right one.

Posted by: trees | Nov 11, 2011 9:26:36 PM

7. And, umm, who exactly with this guidance counselor guide? Who will take him seriously??

Posted by: Keppler | Nov 11, 2011 9:34:48 PM

8. Gay people, at least in the US, have been inextricably linked with crossdressers and transsexuals since they saved our asses at Stonewall in 1969. Get over it.

Posted by: Karl | Nov 11, 2011 9:39:03 PM

9. disgusting, here is the link to the contact page for the school. I've sent along a message. everyone should do the same to get this jack ass canned.

Posted by: shane | Nov 11, 2011 9:46:27 PM

10. @RyanInSacto:
    I am an out and proud gay man. As is my partner. I've been out since the mid-1990s.

But I try not to rub anyone's nose in the fact that I'm different.

I'm suggesting that it's human nature for bullies to focus their attention on anyone who's different.

Most people (think comics & people trying to be funny) find humor in exaggerated personality traits.

Again, it's just human nature.

@Paul R:

People should absolutely be themselves. Absolutely. But if that means they differ from what's perceived to be mainstream, I think it's reasonable to expect for that differentiation to attract attention.

Posted by: Chris | Nov 11, 2011 10:11:26 PM

11. WTF?

Posted by: Miguel | Nov 11, 2011 10:27:54 PM

12. No OS2Guy---email the SCHOOLBOARD--they have the ability to fire him and they are the ones not doing it. also sign this: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/this-coach-needs-to-go/

Posted by: Will Welch | Nov 11, 2011 10:32:37 PM

13. That coach has the face of a 60 year old gay guy I know who has spent years dancing on podiums in gay nightclubs filled with chemical smoke to hide the ecstasy deals.

Posted by: jason | Nov 11, 2011 10:36:31 PM

14. This shows a lack of judgement, but it hardly qualifies as some kind of "hate crime."

The guy may well be a jerk, but I think those who are reacting so intensely need to examine their motivations for wanting to see this guy's head in a can. Save your energy for the big battles.

Posted by: Joe in CT | Nov 11, 2011 10:52:20 PM

15. OK, the "survey" did make me laugh because of the level of its investigatory probing. The name-calling? Not so much.

...but I truly feel sorry for this idiot. It's pretty obvious that he's repressing some stuff and is probably homophobic in it's best textbook definition.

As a locker room boys joke, funny. As being handed to someone who has been bullied, not funny. And anyone who's actually worked with high school kids can tell the difference right away. I picture this guy handing it to the latter.

I had a coach exactly like this guy who regularly put the smallest guys he could find across from the largest in a scrimmage line just to "toughen them up". When a kid ended up in the ER, the school finally canned his ass. One of my happiest high school memories! Buh bye, Coach!

Posted by: johnny | Nov 11, 2011 11:04:33 PM

16. Is he going to hand this questionaire out in the Guidance Office too? How absurd.

Posted by: Laura | Nov 11, 2011 11:17:37 PM

17. Joe in CT
    What part of CT? I'm in new London county, did you read about the mayor in new London? So cool, when he announced he was running people in the local democratic party said new London would never elect an openly gay man. He won the primary and kicked assed nov 8. Good stuff! Anyway off topic sorry

Posted by: George M | Nov 11, 2011 11:19:36 PM

18. I am always amazed at how many people who post on this site think it is ok to be called names. How many think the answer is to just "fit in". When someone equates being queer with being weak and whiny some say we should just laugh, don't be so sensitive it really isn't that bad. Or that it is really our fault because we don't hate sissies enough ourselves . Don't you get that that is exactly the behavior they are laughing at? Don't you hear them saying to each other. I can't believe they are so weak that they put up with that crap? No self respecting person does.

Posted by: Joey | Nov 11, 2011 11:44:13 PM

19. @Will Welch - thanks for the link to the petition, signed and sent. My goal was to spur readers into actually doing something positive rather then simply vent here at Towleroad. As a group we are a tremendous force.

And to those of you who keep whining that we are gay and we should "get over it" or "ust accept this type of behavior as part of our lives my answer to you is - grow a freakin pair, huh? This is 2011 and it is no longer accepted. Maybe in your 1960 world but not today, not ever again.

I encourage all who read these comments to sign the petition to have the coach removed. Eventually, when enough fools figure it out and lose their jobs or face tremendous public embarrassment, they will stop the degrading, belittlement and discrimination against gay people.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 12, 2011 12:18:26 AM

20. I live in the town where this took place. From what I understand, 2 players had gone to this coach with some sort of issues and not long after that, he passed this letter out to the team. If he was a math teacher I would say he's just an idiot, but given that he's a guidance counselor this is disgusting!! If my kids were old enough to be in that school and if their counselor was Pat Lynch, I would be beating down the door demanding a new counselor for my kids. Kids should not have to be bullied by a guidance counselor. Sick.

Posted by: Buffalonian | Nov 12, 2011 12:18:43 AM

21. Reading between the lines of that apology, you can almost hear him mutter to himself "proves my damn point."

Posted by: Tom | Nov 12, 2011 1:13:53 AM

22. While the comment form was undoubtedly reprehensible, damn, he could have angry sex with me anytime, yum.

Posted by: Ryan | Nov 12, 2011 1:16:59 AM

23. @Ryan. Jeebeus! Desperate or what?

Posted by: sylvatica | Nov 12, 2011 1:27:11 AM

24. Context is needed here. Its an amusing little 'survey', IF sent out as a joke by someone with a sense of humour. The problem arises if it was meant seriously or as a dig at people.
    In his position he should have thought better of it whatever the case was.

Posted by: Rovex | Nov 12, 2011 3:45:39 AM

25. What a paper. The only right thing PL did, was to leave.

Posted by: Matt26 | Nov 12, 2011 3:56:52 AM