2012 Election | Andrew Breitbart | GOProud | Republican Party | Rick Perry

Andrew Breitbart Resigns From GOProud

AndrewBreitbartConservative activist and pseudo-journalism mogul Andrew Breitbart has quit the advisory board of Republican gay group GOProud, due to the "vocational and family harm" that organization potentially did to Rick Perry advisor Tony Fabrizio. Fabrizio is the gay Perry staffer outed by GOProud's leadership after the Perry campaign aired a homophobic advertisement last week. Andy wrote about the outing here, giving a fine summation of the initial kerfluffle.

Here's Breitbart's statement in full, from LezGetReal:

It is with sincere regret that I announce I must step down as a GOProud advisory member. On numerous occasions I have spoken with [GOProud leaders] Jimmy LaSalvia and Chris Barron of the significant impact the practice of “outing” had in my evolution from the political left to the right. I was under the absolute impression that both agreed. I have a zero tolerance attitude toward the intentional infliction of vocational and family harm by divulging the details of an individual’s sexual orientation as a weapon of political destruction. As an “Advisory Board member” I was not consulted on this extreme and punitive act. Clearly, there are more productive means to debate controversial ideas and settle conflicts. Therefore, I cannot in good conscience stand with GOProud. I still stand by gay conservatives who boldly and in the face of much criticism from many fronts fight for limited government, lower taxes, a strong national defense as well as the other core conservative principles.

Indeed. "Vocational and family harm" are always tragic. But I wonder: Why does Breibart feel so keenly for the family and wallet of Mr. Fabrizio after displaying nothing but contempt for the families and wallets of the working-class ACORN staffers he and his pal James O'Keefe so willfully misrepresented back in 2009? And why didn't he feel any sympathy for Shirley Sherrod, whose career he attempted to destroy with baseless charges of racism? Those individuals actually lost their jobs, which so far Fabrizio has not, and the ACORN workers didn't even have any fancy beltway connections to help them land on their feet.

Comments

1. Closeted traitors do more harm to our community than nearly anyone else.

They MUST be outed and shamed.

If the closet door has "Anti-Gay" signs on it, kick it down.

Posted by: Jexer | Dec 11, 2011 2:49:20 PM

2. I believe the staffer was already out and GOProud just called him a hypocrite and traitor to the cause. Who knows what AB is really thinking. Most inside the beltway advocacy groups don't do much of anything, so they're not much to get too excited about.

Posted by: anon | Dec 11, 2011 3:59:52 PM

3. Andrew Breitbart seems concerned about the possible harm done to Tony Fabrizio. Pity he's not so concerned about the harm done to millions of people by his pandering to anti-gay, right-wing extremists.

He comes across as a psycho-babbling air-head who needs a hair-cut.

Posted by: jason | Dec 11, 2011 4:11:36 PM

4. Not long ago I wrote here that I thought GOProud was not really as different from Log Cabin as it seemed, and that the real goal of the group was not legislative but gaining acceptance for gays in conservative circles by pretending to be genuinely conservative. I believed their condemnation of gays on the left was done for appearance's sake. But what has happened with the Tony Fabrizio incident has convinced me that I was wrong.

I think Kiwi may be on to something about GOProud members being motivated by the desire to be accepted by their parents.

Posted by: Mary | Dec 11, 2011 5:20:36 PM

5. There is nothing wrong with being gay. So being outed is a non-event. If you travel in circles where you need to be closeted to get along then that is your problem.

Posted by: StillMarriedinCA | Dec 11, 2011 5:24:37 PM

6. you don't have to look past his comment to see hypocrisy. if he is against using someone's sexuality as a weapon, he could support laws that protect people from such "vocational and family harm."

the problem is the outing it is what happens when his fans are informed someone is gay. there's nothing wrong with being gay. there's nothing wrong with people knowing you are gay. what's wrong is what those asshats do once they find out you are gay. that's what he needs to stop.

Posted by: me | Dec 11, 2011 5:46:33 PM

7. Why is being outed in 2011 such a harmful act?

Posted by: Richard | Dec 11, 2011 6:13:29 PM

8. I think the simple fact that someone being "outed" would have ANY effect on their family life or career is exactly why there's more work to be done. Simple as that. As for the ACORN thing, they kinda DID pull some shenanigans. Just because some of their people want to cry that their misdeeds came to light doesn't mean anyone was in the wrong but them. Truth for everyone, or truth for no one.

Posted by: Joey Y | Dec 11, 2011 6:50:30 PM

9. Of course he doens't believe in outing a politician. That's because all the politicians that are closeted and voting against gay rights are republican. Most democratic politiicians either vote with us, or are already out. So he subscribes to a policy that only protects his side of the fence.

The guy has mental problems, though. He's certifiable.

Posted by: Randy | Dec 11, 2011 7:38:42 PM

10. In my view, outing is perfectly acceptable -- and even necessary -- when that closeted individual consorts with those who are trying to harm LGBTs via laws, e.g., DOMA, opposition to spousal benefits, reversal of current sodomy laws, etc. That outing might well prevent substantial harm to thousands of gays. The closet case should start thinking in a more ethical and moral manner, instead of the usual self-protective, screw-the-rest-of-you manner.

Posted by: Seamus | Dec 11, 2011 9:14:08 PM

11. To paraphrase Richard Nixon; We will just have to find someone else to kick around.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Dec 13, 2011 7:53:44 PM

12. Maybe Breitbart is dating Fabizio? That could explain Breitbart's outrage. LOL

Posted by: KayInMaine | Dec 13, 2011 8:29:47 PM