American Idol | David Archuleta | Mormon | News

David Archuleta Tearfully Puts Music Career on Hold to Fulfill Full Time Mission with the Mormon Church: VIDEO

Archuleta

Former American Idol runner-up David Archuleta broke down on stage last night as he announced that he's putting his music career on hold to devote his life to a full time mission to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

"It's not because somebody told me that I was supposed to do it, not because that I no longer want to do music anymore, but it's because it's the feeling that I felt that I need to do next in my life."

Watch his announcement, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Bless his little gay heart... (just kidding)

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Dec 20, 2011 11:55:15 AM

2. Just like when Elvis Presley put his career in hold to enter the army when he was drafted. He returned, bigger than ever. That story became the basis for musical "Bye Bye Birdie".

Posted by: Drake | Dec 20, 2011 11:56:34 AM

3. Not shocked. I've heard his dad is a terror.. I expect hes making him do it in an attempt to cure him of any suspected homosexual tendencies the kid may have.. sad really.

Posted by: Coony | Dec 20, 2011 12:02:36 PM

4. Hopefully this closet case realizes he's gay after annoying people with his missionary work.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Dec 20, 2011 12:03:58 PM

5. Awe, someone brainwashed this cutiepie!!

Posted by: tommyboy10 | Dec 20, 2011 12:05:24 PM

6. I don't really understand the gay rumors on David. I haven't seen any real actions that would indicate that he is gay and just being young and cute doesn't make him gay.

That said, it is sad that his church/father has such an iron grip on him that he is willing to forgo something that he obviously loves in order to please his dad and their imaginary friend (the invisible and the non-existent are remarkably similar).

Posted by: Chadd | Dec 20, 2011 12:07:47 PM

7. buh-bye.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Dec 20, 2011 12:08:19 PM

8. Hopefully is mission is in Orlando

Posted by: Glenn | Dec 20, 2011 12:11:12 PM

9. Heavenly Father, where will I go on my mission?

It could be San Fran by the Bay,

Or Australia, where they say "G'Day!"

Posted by: JSH | Dec 20, 2011 12:11:27 PM

10. being young and cute doesnt' make him gay. him being gay makes him gay.

this is something that some straight, and the less-savvy gay folks, dont' understand - gaydar isn't about stereotypes, nor mannerisms, nor ANY 'isms' nor gesticulations. it's the blue streak of recognition - family can recognize family.

his dad is a mama rose. i hope he gets free from him. and the world of nuttery that is the LDS.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 20, 2011 12:11:37 PM

11. 'Latter Days, Part Dieux' coming to a theatre near you.

Posted by: Gus | Dec 20, 2011 12:14:16 PM

12. Another Mormon out of the limelight as it should be.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Dec 20, 2011 12:14:21 PM

13. Two thoughts - he referred to a full-time mission, but can one do a part-time mission instead? And, I wonder if he'll do his tough job of ringing doorbells (Hello!) in some horrible place, like Mitt in French chateau - perhaps Canada or Tahiti?

Posted by: Mikey | Dec 20, 2011 12:18:15 PM

14. so glad he did not win AI.

Posted by: Guy | Dec 20, 2011 12:18:37 PM

15. I'll add him to the list, along with the Killers. Mormons dictate that their followers be anti-gay at the very least with complacency. No support from me. I do feel sorry for him. It's a cult. Hopefully he'll be able to break away.

Posted by: andy | Dec 20, 2011 12:21:55 PM

16. BS

He is now 21

between the ages of 18-21 a mormon to qualify for the priesthood and or not be disowned by hi9s family must do 2 yrs of missionary work

He is being forced.

If he doesn't do it he will not be allowed to enter temple priesthood ( all mormon men become temple priests or they aren't mormon)and his family will disown him completely

Posted by: say what | Dec 20, 2011 12:34:04 PM

17. So he's seeking a missionary position?

Mission: Impossible.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Dec 20, 2011 12:36:43 PM

18. G-A-Y

Posted by: truthiness | Dec 20, 2011 12:37:51 PM

19. Oh no! Where we will ever find another pop vocalist to sing innocuous saccharin ballads?

Posted by: Mike | Dec 20, 2011 12:43:07 PM

20. dumbass.

Posted by: gaylib | Dec 20, 2011 12:47:48 PM

21. Oh, lady!

Posted by: Truth | Dec 20, 2011 12:51:49 PM

22. Disgusting and sad. I hope he escapes from his brainwashing and finds his way back to a happy life and the work that he loves.

Posted by: fedorajoe | Dec 20, 2011 12:52:18 PM

23. Tick tock David, that closet ain't getting any warmer.

Posted by: Brandon H | Dec 20, 2011 12:56:06 PM

24. this is as bad as giving up on ones own family due to a religion.......WAKE UP nitwit! Joseph Smith religion like MOST are CULTS..brainwashing institutes...that need rubes like you.

Posted by: Gay American | Dec 20, 2011 12:57:19 PM

25. I'd throw him off my porch just like I do all the others who knock on my door. I remind them they are supporting an organization that has spent millions of dollars to take away my rights, then tell them I'm not interested and close the door.

Posted by: RWG | Dec 20, 2011 12:58:32 PM