American Idol | David Archuleta | Mormon | News

David Archuleta Tearfully Puts Music Career on Hold to Fulfill Full Time Mission with the Mormon Church: VIDEO

Archuleta

Former American Idol runner-up David Archuleta broke down on stage last night as he announced that he's putting his music career on hold to devote his life to a full time mission to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

"It's not because somebody told me that I was supposed to do it, not because that I no longer want to do music anymore, but it's because it's the feeling that I felt that I need to do next in my life."

Watch his announcement, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. My god, this boy is f*cked up. He's going to need years of therapy.

Posted by: Gregoire | Dec 20, 2011 1:04:56 PM

2. Don't forget your magic underwear (a.k.a. Rocky Mountain Zoot Suit).

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Dec 20, 2011 1:06:38 PM

3. Aren't you supposed to go on your mission when you're 19?

Posted by: Cameron Johnson | Dec 20, 2011 1:07:00 PM

4. A combination of wacko Mormon brainwashing and the inward terror of disobeying Daddy.

Eventually, he'll be emancipated and we'll get to read the tell-all best-seller.

Posted by: johnny | Dec 20, 2011 1:08:53 PM

5. It's just terrible the way religious expression is constantly being repressed in this country.

Posted by: Leo | Dec 20, 2011 1:10:25 PM

6. boyfriend is yummy. i think/hope he's gay & comes out to enjoy his life.

Posted by: redball | Dec 20, 2011 1:10:32 PM

7. Aw man, just when I was starting to wonder when his next album would drop.

I'm sad he's leaving, and I hope he snaps out of it soon. He makes a better musician than a missionary.

Posted by: Top to Bottom | Dec 20, 2011 1:16:23 PM

8. A great and tragic loss for the music industry. Will it ever recover from this staggering blow? Only time will tell.

Posted by: Patrick Wellington III | Dec 20, 2011 1:43:51 PM

9. bull crap! being a former mormon myself, i know all to well the ostracizing one goes through when you choose not to go on your mission. you might as well tell them you are gay, it's nearly the same.

Posted by: Brian M | Dec 20, 2011 1:53:50 PM

10. Well the crowd seems to love the idea of not having him available to sing to them or make CDs for the time being. Hmmm....

Posted by: princely54 | Dec 20, 2011 1:56:22 PM

11. cameron

18-21

he is now 21 so he put it off as long as possible but now his family is about to disown him and he never will be allowed to be a temple priest unless he does it

poor kid

Posted by: say what | Dec 20, 2011 1:59:22 PM

12. What music career?

Posted by: endo | Dec 20, 2011 2:01:08 PM

13. "Turn it off!"

Posted by: thomas | Dec 20, 2011 2:09:08 PM

14. Hey, remember when that freak Archuleta fantard used to post here all the time and try to get everyone to visit his Archuleta fan site? I think his name was Sparky. I wonder what ever happened to him.

Good times.

Posted by: endo | Dec 20, 2011 2:13:54 PM

15. Maybe he's doing it to get away from his whore-mongering stage dad?

Posted by: anonimodesf | Dec 20, 2011 2:29:40 PM

16. endo, his name was rascal, (russell granger). he hasn't posted here in a long time. he was a crazy for sure.

Posted by: sages | Dec 20, 2011 2:33:59 PM

17. Yes, Rascal - that was it! I wonder if Archie ever wised up and got that restraining order?

Funny that years later David Archuleta's career went nowhere despite Rascal's fervent claims that he was the Greatest Singer Ever. I feel somewhat vindicated.

We should revisit olden times more often. Did Michael Bedwell ever croak?

Posted by: endo | Dec 20, 2011 2:43:59 PM

18. michaelbedwell who has a strange obsessing with fellating a certain dead soldier?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 20, 2011 2:47:00 PM

19. His magic undies are chafing.

Posted by: AdamK | Dec 20, 2011 2:49:06 PM

20. Yes, that's Michael Bedwell ... AKA Leland Francis or whatever other personality is manifesting itself at the time.

I haven't seen his special brand of crazy in a long while.

Posted by: endo | Dec 20, 2011 2:54:19 PM

21. Come on. He is big enough to have an opinion. Obviously the guy isn’t the cleverest. Nothing is lost by the way.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Dec 20, 2011 3:40:12 PM

22. Hope he is coming to my town, I will invite him in to sit a spell.

Posted by: Bubba | Dec 20, 2011 4:12:16 PM

23. please it's a frictn year not like he's going into something worthwhile like the Peace Corps ....he's doing service in a gay hating cult of Jos. Smith.

Oh and hand over that tithing cash boy we need to elect our next god Mitt Romney and take away some more civil rights from the LGBT community and we're running low.

Posted by: mcNnyc | Dec 20, 2011 4:19:01 PM

24. as a former mormon, who served a mission 2 things: 1- you can go anytime between the ages of 19-26, most go when they are 19, before other things, like a career get in the way. 2- you can be Mormon and not go on a mission, just like you can be gay and republican, it doesn't mean that you are any less Mormon than those who served a mission, but a lot of people aren't interested in you for marriage material,

Posted by: jon92027 | Dec 20, 2011 4:27:28 PM

25. I heard stories about that father of his and sooner or later, the father will reap what he sowed.

Posted by: Carlos | Dec 20, 2011 4:32:01 PM