Lance Bass | News | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

Lance Bass Apologizes for Not Getting the 'Tranny' Memo: VIDEO

Bass_tranny

In a segment on Access Hollywood Live featuring 'On-the-Street' comic Billy Eichner, Lance Bass suggested Eichner visit a certain part of the West Village for some of his ambushes: "So you need to go to Christopher and Hudson and get those trannies on the corner there. That would be perfect."

Eichner corrected Bass, "We’re not supposed to call them trannies anymore."

Bass, noting that he might be in trouble for using the term, added, “I didn’t get the memo.”

Tweeted Bass yesterday: "You think ONE of my MANY transvestite friends would have told me "tranny" is a bad word now! They only call themselves that - I'm sorry if I offended anyone by using that word! #justbeeneduacated"

Watch the segment, AFTER THE JUMP...

UPDATE: Bass writes a longer apology at the HuffPost, and lashes out at gay media for tearing him and other celebrities down.

Comments

1. He clearly has no clue what transvestite, transgender, or trans anything means.

To be fair, many people don't know much about trans issues.

I do hope that he takes the time to actually educate himself.

Posted by: Matt | Dec 23, 2011 2:15:07 PM

2. Point of order: what term are we supposed to use? Trans?

Second thought: it wasn't just that he used the word 'tranny'; it's also the fact that he was just evoking "trannies" to make a joke, which is likely most of the time that word is used. If he had said "you should go to the transsexual community and..." it wouldn't be funny. Which is why it makes sense that the word is offensive.

But I do think "the transsexual community" is a bit unwieldy. Although I thought "trans" was more for FTMs, as in "trans man"...is there another word we should be using? Sorry for my ignorance here!

Posted by: zackben | Dec 23, 2011 2:17:58 PM

3. loved how he misspelled #justbeeneducated lol

Posted by: V-8 | Dec 23, 2011 2:18:35 PM

4. remember when he first came out and was going on and on in interviews about being a "straight-acting gay" and how he was into other "straight-acting gays"?
    this is because Lil'Lance isnt' too bright, and is perpetually behind the times.

ten bucks says he still wears a Members Only jacket.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 23, 2011 2:25:13 PM

5. TRANNY TRANNY TRANNY TRANNY TRANNY TRANNY. I love "tranny" jokes. As much as I love "fag/homo" jokes. Get over it.

Posted by: Your Momma | Dec 23, 2011 2:39:06 PM

6. He couldn't say anything offensive, anyway, right? He has trans friends. MANY, apparently!

Eh, I'm just being hard on him. He's handling it better than certain Savage people.

Trans is a fine word. Trans man from FtMs (in a context where that classification is importance, otherwise just men) and trans women for MtFs (same qualifier).

And that's very mature, Your Momma. "I know this offends you and it wouldn't hurt me in any way not to do it, so I'm gonna keep doing it because I am an intellectual toddler! Hooray!" Gold star on another successful troll.

Posted by: Maggie | Dec 23, 2011 2:43:18 PM

7. Oh no, Lance Bass has gotten himself into a hot tranny mess!

Posted by: endo | Dec 23, 2011 2:43:26 PM

8. Billy also referred to them as Trannys, then made a joke we should call them "really really gay".

I agree with @ YOUR MOMMA...Get Over It!

We can make light of our differences without being hateful. I think Lance and Billy did just that.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 23, 2011 2:49:40 PM

9. @Maggie, but what do we call drag queens who perform at Trannyshack?

Posted by: RandySF | Dec 23, 2011 2:54:53 PM

10. They changed the name, Randy, to be more PC. It's now the Transwomanshanty.

Posted by: endo | Dec 23, 2011 3:02:41 PM

11. @RandySF: You call them drag queens, queens or gay men who do occasionally to drag, which is what they are. Trans people have never done drag at Trannyshack, which is one of the reasons I get tired hearing so many people use that event name as a way of justifying how it's supposedly okay for them as non-trans persons to throw the term tranny around.

Posted by: ginasf | Dec 23, 2011 3:04:36 PM

12. I didn't get the memo either, and it seems there are way too many shades of grey related to "trans-". Transgender seems to be totally unrelated to transvestism. I know transgender people (FtoM) who self-identify and LIVE as male. I have known drag queens who don't self-identify as female when out of drag. Is the word "tranny" referring only to transgender, and not what is traditionally known as transvestism? Jezus, no wonder the world at large is confused by this, we're confused by this in our own community! And then there's the whole "gender queer" issue, whatever the hell THAT is (sounds like someone just needed an ultra-hip sounding term to describe their confusion).

Posted by: jim | Dec 23, 2011 3:11:57 PM

13. I dunno about you folks, but a tranny ISN'T a transexual, a tranny is a TRANSVESTITE or drag queen. Jesus Christ, people need to just relax.

Posted by: seatrouble | Dec 23, 2011 3:25:47 PM

14. Lance should have known better. I don't like when gay guys call each other "fa&&ot." My boyfriend and I don't refer to each as "Queens." I especially don't even like to hear black folks calling each other the N word.

There is just no respect anymore. For those of you calling people a "tranny mess," I will personally come and wash your mouth out with soap.

Well, not personally, but stick a sock in it.

Posted by: Alan | Dec 23, 2011 3:31:44 PM

15. I'm going to say something completely un-PC. The transgender community needs it's own group! I understand that gays and lesbian want to be inclusive so we have to us LGBT for everything, but I don't have the same issues as a transgender person. I have no issues with my gender.

Posted by: DJ | Dec 23, 2011 3:36:59 PM

16. @Seatrouble... You are right. But, the Transgender community has decided that transvestites aren't allowed to call themselves transvestites any longer. They must now use the term "cross-dresser". I guess they feel entitled to do this because people outside the transgender community think transvestite refers to transgender. It doesn't of course. But, that doesn't matter to the transgender community.

@GinaSF... Transgender people may have never performed at Trannyshack. But, Transvestites have performed there and should be allowed to call themselves Transvestites or Trannies if they want to.

Posted by: Tim NC | Dec 23, 2011 3:39:56 PM

17. A trans "eduacation":

Transgender has become a mostly accepted umbrella term that collects all forms of gender expressionism under it from ftm to the "third gender" present in native american culture to persons who don't believe in gender at all..

A transvestite is a person who wears the clothing of the other gender. It's an outdated term since the umbrella term "cross-dressing" is mostly used now...and includes all forms from drag queens to actors. This gets confused with transvestic fetishism which is when a person gets sexual excitement from dressing as the opposite sex. It's listed in the the DSM (I think) The majority are straight white males who like wearing women's clothing.

A transsexual is a person who lives their lives as the opposite sex (or would like to if they weren't at a higher risk of getting murdered in a back alley). They believe they were born as the wrong gender. It doesn't matter if you've had surgery, gender identity is in one's head. You can use the terms "post-op" and "pre-op."

In somewhat of a defense of the gays who are confused and getting in trouble using the term "tranny," I've know transgender folk to self-identify as all kinds of terms, such as trannyfag, genderqueer, transman, queer, radical fem, trannyboy, ladyboy, and including tranny, etc. HOWEVER, using such a term as the punchline of a joke is simply unacceptable, and idiots like Lance Bass have a responsibility as a (sorta) public figure to be correct, especially as violence against these people seems to be on the rise.

Lastly, as a person whose roommate underwent the transition and I saw firsthand public reaction as well as physical change, I find it best to just call someone by their name. And, if you are unaware of which pronoun to use, just ask in a respectful way.

Posted by: Daniel | Dec 23, 2011 3:46:42 PM

18. @Daniel... Transvestites get to decide what they want to be called. It isn't up to someone else to decide for them that the term transvestite is "outdated" and needs to be replaced with "cross-dresser"

Posted by: Tim NC | Dec 23, 2011 3:53:42 PM

19. @Daniel: tl;dr

Posted by: endo | Dec 23, 2011 3:57:36 PM

20. This ban on the use of the word TRANNY –unless is sanctified by a trans itself, among trans, and not in public manner and all kind of etceteras- is getting hysterical. The more they try to root it out the more derogatory it becomes and it looks. Good job. Now bigots have a much powerful word to use. It’s not about words but concepts and intentions, and some people confuse the first with the second in a lineal unequivocal way.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Dec 23, 2011 4:55:44 PM

21. @Daniel: since when are most transvestites white?

@GinaSF: trans people have most certainly performed at Trannyshack.

@Lance Bass: you're a moron.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 23, 2011 5:43:45 PM

22. Why, oh why, won't Lance Bass just disappear?

Posted by: John in Iowa | Dec 23, 2011 5:47:59 PM

23. @Daniel: Get over yourself. If transvestites want to use the term "tranny", as they for years, it's just TFB if you object to that. You do not have the right to claim sole ownership of the word for those who are transgender.

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Dec 23, 2011 6:45:41 PM

24. I couldn't give a rat's ass what transsexuals think about the word tranny, about Lance Bass, about NPH, or about any topic. Transsexuals are mostly not gay and it makes no sense to lump gays, lesbians and bisexuals with them. The concept of LGBT is offensive and is based on reactionary stereotypes which hold that gays are a kind of third sex. LGBs tend to be nice liberals who value inclusion and who hate to set limits. Transsexuals and crossdressers are happy to exploit that attitude to inject themselves into the gay community for their own selfish ends. To hell with them and their list of banned words.

Posted by: Jerome | Dec 23, 2011 8:00:54 PM

25. "Billy also referred to them as Trannys, then made a joke we should call them "really really gay"."

@Chris: I think a "joke" like that is very much unneeded when so much of the public is grossly naive about sexuality.

Transvestites are usually "really, really straight." A straight man may get turned on by putting on a sexy woman's panties for the same reason that some straight women or gay men would get turned on by wearing or having David Beckham's sweaty jock and sweatshirt.

I've known so many people, including locals and foreigners who barely speak English, who seem to get all kinds of very different issues related to sexuality all confused. I've watched a talk show in which a straight man was explaining how he gets turned on by his wife's clothes and a homophobic roommate said "Why are all these homosexuals on TV?" I can give about a thousand other examples where I tried to explain to someone that "NO, she's gay, that doesn't mean she wants to change sex" or "No, he's heterosexual; being gay has nothing to do with clothes."

I've even known guys in university who thought "heterosexual" meant having the organs of both sexes and would not believe me (until I showed them a dictionary) when I told them they were heterosexual.

Most people are far too confused about sexuality issues and defdinitions for me to see his comment as anything but adding to the problem. (Of course, he may just be confused.)

Posted by: GregV | Dec 23, 2011 8:09:47 PM