Lance Bass | News | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

Lance Bass Apologizes for Not Getting the 'Tranny' Memo: VIDEO

Bass_tranny

In a segment on Access Hollywood Live featuring 'On-the-Street' comic Billy Eichner, Lance Bass suggested Eichner visit a certain part of the West Village for some of his ambushes: "So you need to go to Christopher and Hudson and get those trannies on the corner there. That would be perfect."

Eichner corrected Bass, "We’re not supposed to call them trannies anymore."

Bass, noting that he might be in trouble for using the term, added, “I didn’t get the memo.”

Tweeted Bass yesterday: "You think ONE of my MANY transvestite friends would have told me "tranny" is a bad word now! They only call themselves that - I'm sorry if I offended anyone by using that word! #justbeeneduacated"

Watch the segment, AFTER THE JUMP...

UPDATE: Bass writes a longer apology at the HuffPost, and lashes out at gay media for tearing him and other celebrities down.

Comments

1. Is the word Tranny now offensive to all or just the transexual community (meaning what about Drag Queens and other transvestites)? No one sent me the memo either. If Trans is the new word, is it only applicable if an operation is planned?

Is this a new thing? Did anyone boil Christian Siriano alive for coining the term Hot Tranny Mess in 2008?

I'm all for Trans rights - I don't want to see anyone being discriminated against due to a gender choice - but are things getting out of hand? Since when did Tranny rise to the offensive level of Faggot or the N word? I could see how She-M.. would be that offensive.

Is there an innate hate crime in having a word that encompasses any minority?

Posted by: fanboi | Dec 23, 2011 8:14:48 PM

2. Maybe the TRANNIES are mocked at for several reasons. Discounting that their bone structure -most often than not- doesn’t match giving them an odd -and sometimes creepy- semblance, I’ve never found a TRANNY whose intelligence shines. Furthermore, most of them seem to be pretty dumb and shallow. So that must make them an easy target. I also guess that this would be a question for straight people between straight people, as TRANNIES aim to be considered just that and blend in. We gays are caught in the middle and used for purposes that only end up harming us, as some people could think our sexuality is related.

Posted by: SayTRANNYmoreOFTEN | Dec 23, 2011 8:54:05 PM

3. Does Lance Bass really have a lot of "transvestite" friends? I dont think he even knows the difference between transgender people and transvestites. Which pretty much indicates that he was lying in his tweet.

Posted by: mike128 | Dec 24, 2011 1:58:30 AM

4. Mike128 that is the problem, must people don't know who's being offended. Drag queens(I wouldn't think so, I hear them say it all the time)? Post Ops? (Maybe but don't they consider them self regular Straight). So Maybe it's the Pre Ops, I don't know.

All I can say is Stop try to make Tranny an offensive term, it's never going to happen.

Posted by: Billy | Dec 24, 2011 9:01:58 AM

5. I wish Lance hadn't apologized. Trannys are rage filled attention whores.

Posted by: Iwillusethewordtranny! | Dec 24, 2011 10:14:19 AM

6. Could someone provide a comprehensive list of all the words that are not allowed, lest someone be offended?

Posted by: Max | Dec 24, 2011 10:54:10 AM

7. why are gay men telling trans people how to feel about this?

oh, and all you gay man who resent the "T" in LGBT deserve every ounce of discrimination and bigotry you will ever EVER receive in life.

seriously. your refusal to stand in solidarity with our trans brothers and sisters is cowardly and pathetic.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 24, 2011 3:16:54 PM

8. Transphobia alive and well in the gay male population. UGH!!!!!!!!!! I have to remember that the majority of our world population is not very intelligent, a slice of those are suppressed and repressed, and a slice of those are gay, and a slice of those are gender non-conforming and transphobic.

Posted by: Mhmm | Dec 26, 2011 2:46:39 PM

9. @ DJ and @ Jerome: Totally agreed. I don't understand the LGBTQGQ......[insert more letters here] umbrella. It implies that we're all in some uniform "other" group that is defined by its non-heterosexuality as if that's some unifying theme. I suppose strength in numbers has some merit as an argument, but I've been to too many LGBTQ meetings where honestly we were less productive because we were all trying to pretend we had something in common.

Posted by: Stefan | Dec 29, 2011 11:49:46 PM

10. ALL of you are frackin retards. Any man that has sex with another man is a FAGGOT. PERIOD!
    And what your born as you will DIE AS!
    Once a man your ALWAYS A MAN!!!
    You can take hormones. Cut off your whatever but guess what?! YOUR ALWAYS GOING TO BE A MAN. Or dyke if your a "ftm"
    All you freazazoids need to get right with God cause one day you WILL biw in front of him. Thats NOT debatable.

Posted by: Crista | Mar 8, 2012 7:53:39 PM