Hillary Clinton | News | United Nations

BigGayDeal.com

Hillary Clinton's Landmark Speech to the UN on LGBT Rights: VIDEO

H_clinton

Here's Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's historic and unprecedented speech to the UN today on LGBT rights.

Says Clinton, in her opening:

Today, I want to talk about the work we have left to do to protect one group of people whose human rights are still denied in too many parts of the world today. In many ways, they are an invisible minority. They are arrested, beaten, terrorized, even executed. Many are treated with contempt and violence by their fellow citizens while authorities empowered to protect them look the other way or, too often, even join in the abuse. They are denied opportunities to work and learn, driven from their homes and countries, and forced to suppress or deny who they are to protect themselves from harm.

I am talking about gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people, human beings born free and given bestowed equality and dignity, who have a right to claim that, which is now one of the remaining human rights challenges of our time. I speak about this subject knowing that my own country’s record on human rights for gay people is far from perfect. Until 2003, it was still a crime in parts of our country. Many LGBT Americans have endured violence and harassment in their own lives, and for some, including many young people, bullying and exclusion are daily experiences. So we, like all nations, have more work to do to protect human rights at home.

Watch it (you'll be glad you did), AFTER THE JUMP...

Transcript:

Hillary Geneva

Comments

1. Thank you Hillary

Posted by: Fred | Dec 6, 2011 10:23:39 PM

2. She is utterly brilliant! I hope that she will run for President again.

Posted by: peterparkerp | Dec 6, 2011 11:16:29 PM

3. S. TAYLOR,

Obama's religious beliefs aren't stopping him from supporting marriage. It's all politics. No president could have been elected supporting gay marriage in 2008.

As was reported previously, Obama supported marriage equality while a politician in Illinois.

The speech Clinton gave is the formal position of the Obama Administration. It serves multiple purposes. 1) Prop up Obama's support in the U.S. gay community. 2) Boost Clinton's 2016 election prospects. 3) Provide support to oppressed LGBT people.

Politics is a cynical game of allegiances.

Posted by: Mark | Dec 6, 2011 11:51:19 PM

4. I'm surprised this wasn't posted on YouTube, where more people might find it.

Posted by: Randy | Dec 6, 2011 11:58:50 PM

5. @S. Taylor: First, I'm really tired of People. Doing. This. And thinking it's clever or dramatic. Write out what you think like any child could do.

Second, look up banana republic---and not the retail chain---before using the term. Cripes. We're supposed to consider it failure when the sectary of state delivers an impassioned message supporting our rights? Grow up.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 7, 2011 12:25:05 AM

6. It is about time someone took to the world stage to fight the battle of LGBT equal rights. It really makes me happy to see what the administration has done in the last few years. However, the work that other influential figures in our society is much greater. Until the community as a whole stands up, the hate, violence, and bullying will continue.

Posted by: Shawn Fletcher - Editor @ GayNewsOrlando.com | Dec 7, 2011 12:37:11 AM

7. How she and her husband can speak at such length, seemingly with no teleprompters, is beyond me.

But I know that many of the wicked right will tear her down for having "lesbian hair" in this speech.

Amazing and applaudable. My friends at State say that she's the best leader ever.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 6, 2011 5:29:50 PM

Yaeh Paul because we all you know that it was a snark at Pres Obama. They all read from a Telepprompter asshat! You Hillary queens give me gas!

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Dec 7, 2011 1:09:49 AM

8. Hillary, as the First Lady of Arkansas, then as the 1st Lady of the United States, and now as the Secretary of State has always been a class act. I was hoping that she would become the first woman President, however I am thankful that President Obama, for giving her the opportunity to serve as the Secretary of State. (I liked the earlier post mentioning the possibility of joining the Supreme Court in the future). When you look at the 2012 Republican hopefuls, both men and women... she has more smarts then all of them put together. She has a record of speaking OUT for gay rights and all other human rights here in the USA and the world.

Thank you Hillary for being the for us now and hopefully in the future, and the same goes for Former President Bill Clinton. It is sad the the Republicans are so unrepresentative of the poor,the middle class, people of color and our GLBT community. We must make sure that in 2012, that President Obama is reelected to insure the rights of all Americans and the world.

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher | Dec 7, 2011 2:43:43 AM

9. WOW.... That was beyond beautiful to see and hear. This was a huge jump forward.. chip, chip , chip away of bigotry .. Thank you Ms. Clinton for your eloquent remarks .

Posted by: MarkBoston | Dec 7, 2011 3:47:40 AM

10. When I was 13 years old I attempted suicide. Since then there have been many moments when I am thankful that I survived. This was one of them. I so wish that I could call her right now. To tell her just how improbable her words word be spoken,accepted and applauded at the U.N. in 1972. And I am indescribably grateful that I lived to hear it.Thank you Hilary Clinton. You have used your power and influence to help me and my universal family . I am an agnostic, so there are no simply pre-programed way to thank you as deeply as I would like to.I just hope that somehow you will read this.I doubt it. So Hillary Clinton, if you read these words or not,if there is a heaven, you will be there. And I will be hugging you.With all my might.

Posted by: Michael In Philadelphia | Dec 7, 2011 6:50:49 AM

11. CLINTON/ COAKLEY 2012

Posted by: PKNY | Dec 7, 2011 9:39:37 AM

12. This is the most refreshing speech I have ever heard regarding LGBT rights, EVER.

Posted by: E.N. | Dec 7, 2011 11:42:43 AM

13. Honestly, will anybody gay give Obama any credit this speech to the UN on gay rights?

Posted by: Frank | Dec 7, 2011 11:49:19 AM

14. Lucky you, Americans!
    In Russia, in the contrary, Putin's fascist gang is preparing new law against LGBT people, in wich LGBT and pedophiles are treated as alike.
    In first reading St. Petersburg parliament adopted a draft law on administrative responsibility for promoting LGBT lifestyle, wich they extended to a pedophilia and other sick perversions. This law was initiated by Putin's party dogs.

Posted by: byazrov.com | Dec 7, 2011 5:37:50 PM

15. Thank you Hillary. You are one of the best and brightest that America has to offer. I voted for you in the Pa primary, which you won. I think you would have made an outstanding president. You and i both now support president Obama who is head and shoulders above the republican loonies.

Posted by: jack | Dec 7, 2011 11:05:17 PM

16. As a Trinidad-born US citizen, who has had to live through Bush 1, 2 and Mango-Head Jeb here in Florida, I am truly proud today to see and read this speech which is of the quality and intellectual calibre as Maya Angelou's Inaugration poem. It impacts my senses like a long-awaited rainfall after the desert of inhumanity we've endured under those Republican administrations! I feel like a slave who's just heard the Emancipation Proclamation for the first time. I'm drunk with the hope that I will live to hear that the LGBT community has won marriage equality before I die. Thank you, President Clinton 2016!

Posted by: Rain de Lima | Dec 7, 2011 11:05:18 PM

17. I sit with tears running down my face listening to this. I am not LGBT. I am a mother of 4 grown daughters. I am an American. I am married to a man. I am a Roman Catholic. Her speech reflects true Christianity and message of Christian love. How can the homophobes claim to be such "good" Christians when they oppose equal rights for certain groups of God's people? It is scary that they don't see this. This restores my faith in politicians. some DO get it.

Posted by: Jenny Moore | Dec 8, 2011 4:50:57 AM

18. Please share this video. I certainly know I will.

Posted by: oliver | Dec 8, 2011 8:02:17 AM

19. Wow. Just WOW! So simple and to the point, yet incredibly eloquent and poetic. Bravo Hilary! Pause for a moment, ladies and gentlemen. The winds of change are blowing. NO ONE can convince me otherwise. There is a LONG road ahead, but no one can convince me of anything else at this point. It really DOES get better.

Posted by: AJ | Dec 8, 2011 11:12:19 PM

20. Amazing....Hilary great speech, except for the fact that some of the most rabid anti-GLBT people ARE in fact Americans...

Posted by: Andrew | Jan 6, 2012 2:02:57 AM

21. What a emotional commentators and the U.S nation... You love brilliant, emotional talkings. Ohh pragmatic politicians.

Note: Gay or lesbian, I do not want to make a hate speech but those are ill. Today, they defend gay or lesbian rights but if tomorrow there will be a world that involves no young person, I am sure that they hate from gays or lesbians.

This message will be edited by future messages. Please come with your arguments.

Posted by: emin | Mar 12, 2012 4:12:35 PM