"Ex-Gays" | 2012 Election | Michelle Bachmann | News

BigGayDeal.com

Eight-Year-Old Tells Michele Bachmann: 'My Mommy's Gay But She Doesn't Need Fixing' - VIDEO

Bachmann

Check out the look of fear in Michele Bachmann's eyes as she realizes what this eight-year-old boy is telling her: "My mommy's gay but she doesn't need any fixing."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This is not a battle to drag the children into. The other side tries to drag the children into it all the time, and it isn't their fight. People really shouldn't be doing things like this. I am embarrassed for that little boy, and I feel sorry for him.

Posted by: JC | Dec 5, 2011 9:54:00 PM

2. Yea, I am not going to lie, that made me a little uncomfortable. While I live to see Michelle Bachmann squirm, the kid seemed sort of coerced into saying it and it makes the mom look like kind of a boor, to be honest.

Posted by: Alex | Dec 5, 2011 9:58:45 PM

3. Agree. Although I welcome Bachman's discomfort and deserved look of lost panic, it shouldn't come at the hands of a little boy.

Posted by: v | Dec 5, 2011 10:00:33 PM

4. Awesome! Way to put Michelle on the spot. She looked a little stunned.

Posted by: Kelly | Dec 5, 2011 10:00:49 PM

5. I've never commented on any post on any website - ever. But, as a gay father with two children and as someone with common sense, this makes me sick to my stomach. Shame on the parent who put her child up to this.

Posted by: Dan | Dec 5, 2011 10:11:07 PM

6. Kids say the darndest things!

But seriously, that was really unnecessary and very uncomfortable to watch.

Posted by: Daniel | Dec 5, 2011 10:15:09 PM

7. There's nothing admirable or poignant about coercing an eight-year old boy—too embarrassed to utter more than a murmur—into making your political statements for you.

This is exactly the sort of counterproductive behavior that reinforces damaging perceptions of LGBT people as radical militants willing to place advancement of the "gay agenda"™ above all else—even the dignity of their own children.

This is a shame for Elijah, and a shame for our community.

Posted by: APFG | Dec 5, 2011 10:17:13 PM

8. @Dan - My partner and I raised two fine children. They're adults now and have made known the low regard they hold people like Michele Bachmann. I too found that clip very off putting.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 5, 2011 10:19:06 PM

9. I completely agree with other posters. You can tell the mom put the kid up to this and that is not what we need. It's one thing for the kid to come up with this on his own, but the mom was totally holding his hand through the whole thing and he did not look like he wanted to say it. Shame on her.

Posted by: Duste | Dec 5, 2011 10:22:42 PM

10. Geez, that made Bachmann look loving and caring, when she's actually a raging bigot. Ambush tactics always backfire like that.

Posted by: Max | Dec 5, 2011 10:23:25 PM

11. It didn't backfire at all.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 5, 2011 10:29:07 PM

12. i have to disagree with @dan, et al. my parents were very involved in politics, from the school board and city council to district, state and national races. our kitchen table was often graced with political operatives and people with passion. by 8 years old i had a fairly firm grasp on what the issues were, even tho they were filtered thru my parent's views. you sell your children short by not validating their knowledge and beliefs. you are assuming that his mother put him up to this. i assume she didn't. therein lies the difference of opinion.

Posted by: deedrdo | Dec 5, 2011 10:30:20 PM

13. @deedro, did you miss the part where she had to lean over the table to hear him, because he was so reluctant to speak? What about when his mother made him repeat it?

Posted by: APFG | Dec 5, 2011 10:35:58 PM

14. @deedro, did you miss the part where Bachmann had to lean over the table to hear him because he was too reluctant to speak? What about the part where his mother forced him to repeat it?

Posted by: APFG | Dec 5, 2011 10:37:24 PM

15. @apfg. 8 year old's are shy. just go to the mall and watch them sit in santa's lap. i do, however, miss your point.

Posted by: deedrdo | Dec 5, 2011 10:44:35 PM

16. "Activist Elijah" reminds me of Richard Dawkins' statement that "There is a no such thing as a 'Christian child' - only 'a child of Christian parents.'" Eight year olds who are activists genuinely of their own accord are very rare. I watched a few seconds of this video, and honestly couldn't bear to watch any more. It appeared that the kid was rehearsed, and was put up to be an essentially non-voluntary soldier in a political cause. (It's a cause I happen to support -- and Michele Bachmann is truly horrible -- but that's not relevant.)

The world is still adjusting to this whole internet thing. Personally, I think it should be ILLEGAL for parents to put ANY videos of children up on the internet, because children are **too young to give their consent** to participate in something where their image, voice, and statements and/or behavior becomes the world's property, forever.

I know there are very popular videos of a kid who is talking goofily as he recovers from dental anesthesia, another where a baby bites his brother's finger, several where kids are subjected to scare-inducing pranks, etc. There are other videos of exquisitely private, personal, and intimate moments, such as a little boy being surprised in his elementary school by his dad coming back from Iraq and crying his eyes out. I imagine in all cases these kids did NOT grant their consent for these episodes in their private lives to go up on the internet for the world's consumption, forever; and, even if they are offered an opportunity for consent, they are too young to understand the consequences (short-term and long-term) of putting a forever-available, always-potentially viral video of themselves on the internet.

Again, I think the internet and viral video phenomena are still new, and ethics, social mores, and laws have not caught up. In the meantime, I find the practice of posting videos of kids on the internet **appalling**.

Posted by: pro-kids | Dec 5, 2011 10:47:25 PM

17. That is awful.

Posted by: jamesnyc | Dec 5, 2011 10:47:33 PM

18. Since this seems to be missing here, the backstory is in the comments on Youtube:

"I took the video. We were standing in line, and his mom was ready to leave because we didn't know what WE were going to say. When we turned to leave, Elijah grabbed her coat and pulled her back, telling her to stay cause he wanted to tell Michele something. If anything, it was the other way around. He just got stage fright-- and his mom wasn't going to let him back down, because he was going to regret it. Please vote up this comment so people can see this explanation/back story."

Posted by: Eric | Dec 5, 2011 10:57:22 PM

19. @pro-kids: u blew ur cover @ "Again, I think the internet and viral video phenomena are still new."

Posted by: deedrdo | Dec 5, 2011 11:02:49 PM

20. My feelings on this video are conflicted. If the parent put the child up to this then shame on them. Children should never be used like this. If. And that's a big if, he came up with this on his own it might be a different story.

Posted by: jonnyjo35 | Dec 5, 2011 11:07:24 PM

21. Wow, all the negative comments! I thought it was extremely effective. Gave Michele something to think about.

Too bad more gays don't speak up as well.

Posted by: jaime jones | Dec 5, 2011 11:11:27 PM

22. I'm no more disturbed by the video than by the countless children who grow up indoctrinated into the cult of organized religion. Where is your outrage and discomfort at the way religious leaders coerce young minds into thinking they are bad and will suffer eternal damnation unless they follow what they say? Even disregarding the true backstory as shown in the Youtube comments, even if this boy was *presented* to Bachmann and prompted to say what he said, it pales in comparison to the magnitude of what the American Taliban are doing on a DAILY basis.

Posted by: atomic | Dec 5, 2011 11:15:32 PM

23. I was a nanny for a homosexual couple, and their twins were exceptionally attuned to their community and those who were for and against their parents lifestyles. Once in Sunday School at what we thought was an all inclusive congregation, a derogative comment was made and the KIDS said "We are leaving. That isn't fair"...they understood what the church couldn't with NO prompting from their parents, and I was amazed at this.

And the youtube video shows story comments from the mother and cameraperson there that it was the CHILD'S choice to speak up. Give them the chance to use their voice. They know way more than they let on :) (terribly optimistic I know..^_^)

Posted by: Jasmine | Dec 5, 2011 11:20:11 PM

24. If it was the mom's idea, it is worthy of your scorn. If it is, as the post by ERIC states, a case of stage fright (according to someone reportedly there) on the part of the child, whose idea it was to say this, it is worthy of your support. That's a mom providing the scaffolding so that her child can reach his goal.

Posted by: TJ | Dec 5, 2011 11:23:08 PM

25. What a terrible idea for the mother to do that to her son. Just sad. Actually felt a little sorry for the Bachinator.

Posted by: Jason | Dec 5, 2011 11:23:47 PM