2012 Election | Christopher Barron | GOProud | Jimmy LaSalvia | Rick Perry | Tony Fabrizio

Gay Conservatives Out Rick Perry's Top Pollster Tony Fabrizio, Infuriated Over Anti-Gay Ad

Lasalvia

Barron

Rick Perry's anti-gay ad that began airing yesterday divided his top staff, including his chief pollster Tony Fabrizio, Sam Stein reports:

FabrizioWhen the ad was being crafted several weeks ago, Perry's top pollster, Tony Fabrizio, called it "nuts," according to an email sent from Fabrizio to the ad's main creator, longtime GOP operative Nelson Warfield. In a separate email to The Huffington Post, Warfield confirmed that the ad was made over Fabrizio's objections.

"Tony was against it from the get-go," Warfield wrote. "It was the source of some extended conversation in the campaign. To be very clear: That spot was mine from writing the poll question to test[ing] it to drafting the script to overseeing production."

Meanwhile, Fabrizio's caving on the ad has enraged conservative gay group GOProud's Jimmy LaSalvia and Chris Barron, who sent out tweets late yesterday.

Said LaSalvia: "I've just about had it with faggots who line their pockets with checks from anti-gay homophobes while throwing the rest of us under the bus." He later clarified, "I was talking about Rick Perry's pollster/strategist."

Barron tweeted to a follower: "Rick Perry's pollster & strategist is a gay guy. Totally disgusting."

Stein spoke to LaSalvia for his piece on the ad:

"It is the height of hypocrisy for Tony Fabrizio to have been a part of that," said Jimmy LaSalvia, co-founder and executive director of GOProud. "He has lined his pockets for years with money from the gay community to conduct polls to ostensibly help gay people in this country, and for him to be a part of this is the height of Washington hypocrisy. It is absolutely what is wrong with Washington. It is all about the payday for these people."

If Fabrizio found the ad repugnant and it aired over his objections, LaSalvia argued, he should have quit in protest. "Perry said in the ad that the service of tens of thousands of patriotic gay Americans is what's wrong in this country," LaSalvia said. "That is an outrageous and un-American statement."

Reached by email, Fabrizio confirmed that he was uncomfortable with the ad. But he said he was going to follow the advice he has given to candidates throughout his career: "If you start answering personal attacks, you are just rewarding the attacker."

Stein adds: "Fabrizio has done polling for the Log Cabin Republicans in addition to urging lawmakers to reconsider their approach to the culture wars and embrace basic fairness for gay Americans on the issue of marriage. He was considered an ally by pro-gay rights conservatives."

I have no idea if Fabrizio was out already. Pam Spaulding also notes:

"I have no idea if Fabrizio’s a homo, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he’s another one of those Beltway creatures that’s socially out, perhaps even professionally out to many, but wants to play coy in order to maximize the cash flow from homophobes like Perry."

More at Back2Stonewall and Pam's House Blend.

Comments

1. I like how Jimmy can't do anything without bashing a fellow gay guy.

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 8, 2011 12:36:43 PM

2. When will GoProud and all their little friends get it? They're just not into you.

Posted by: SammySeattle | Dec 8, 2011 12:37:40 PM

3. Well, that's the pot calling the kettle black.

Yes, this is a terrible and awful person- but look at whose criticizing him! Two men who will vote for Rick Perry, unashamedly, "men" who want to meet with Michelle Bachmann to discuss conservative issues while the "lady" in question would happily have them arrested for being gay if she could.

Gay Republicans are first, foremost, and always traitors to their own cause. Their reasons for voting for such abhorrent people, and slamming the one political party and movements that have given them the rights and luxuries they have, is unbelievable and unfathomable. These are men who must have serious issues not with their sexuality but their gender and what they want to be, and what society tells them is the right type of "man" to be. Tough talking, rough, conservative, and totally selfish.

Chris Barron and Jimmy La Salvia are despicable human beings- second handers who benefit off the work of other activists that they undermine with their fundraising and votes. Shun them, and certainly give them an earful if you got the time.

Screw those three men- they need to get off the float because they don't get or deserve to march in the parade.

Posted by: Cecil | Dec 8, 2011 12:39:11 PM

4. The Irony...the IRONY!

IRONY!TheMusical

newsflash, GOProud, you whiteboy wimps have thrown "other gays" under the bus for years - that's your raison d'etre. you exist to throw "gay liberals" under the bus because it's the only way you're tolerated by fellow conservatives. this is not surprising.
    maybe if you wimps had supported and championed a candidate that actually promoted LGBT Equality.....oh wait...that's too Liberal for you suckers...

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 8, 2011 12:40:53 PM

5. GOProud is just as homophobic, self-loathing, and hypocritical as Perry's strategist. Both are to blame.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Dec 8, 2011 12:45:40 PM

6. Love it -- a bunch of awful queens getting angry at each other. Just throw 'em in the ring and watch them scratch their self-hating little eyes out.

Posted by: Gregoire | Dec 8, 2011 12:46:05 PM

7. We are obviously judged by the company we keep. And now, will someone please, please out Rick Perry? Perhaps we can get some feedback from his bigmouth wife, Anita, who has a penchant for loudly threatening divorce because of same-sex infidelity. Pretty please with rent boys on it?

Posted by: Artie | Dec 8, 2011 12:46:32 PM

8. Am I the only one bothered by LaSalvia's use of the word "faggot"?

Seems entirely inappropriate. When used by someone in his position and in such a manner, it has the effect (whether intended or not) of sanctioning its use.

"Faggot" is a slur - plain and simple - and shouldn't be embraced, regardless of whether its a gay man using it against another gay man.

Posted by: AERES | Dec 8, 2011 12:47:00 PM

9. "The hate is swelling in you now. ... Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant..."

Posted by: joe c | Dec 8, 2011 12:47:31 PM

10. Well I've just about had it with privileged white dudes who will do whatever it takes to hold on to their cisgendered patriarchal white privilege while using anti-gay rhetoric in trying to get their message across (whatever it might be)

I... I just... I can't.

Posted by: Jesus | Dec 8, 2011 12:48:14 PM

11. Judas of the gays accuses Judas of the gays. All with their little bag of silver.

Posted by: wowjustwow | Dec 8, 2011 12:55:21 PM

12. @Cecil: Yes, exactly my point. What the hell is LaSalvia complaining about? He should look at his own house. He sidles up to conservative organizations at the drop of a hat.

These GOProud guy, I just can't help wondering how they can function as human beings with all the self-hate course through their veins.

Posted by: Joe B. | Dec 8, 2011 12:56:11 PM

13. how long till Jimmy LaSalvia blames this on "black youths" and Barron pipes up that it's because of "evil gay liberals who do stereotypical things like throw Oscar parties and demand equal rights"
    ?
    ;-)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 8, 2011 12:58:35 PM

14. Not that being a dumb ass won’t keep Rick Perry from getting into the White House, but this lovely advertisement that he has running in Iowa to appeal to the craziest people on Earth will surely alienate him once and for all. http://bit.ly/rOBf9o

Posted by: I Mean What | Dec 8, 2011 1:00:13 PM

15. Well, maybe Fabrizio subversively got his point across by choosing the wardrobe. The comparison shots showing that Perry's wearing an exact Brokeback Mountain jacket in the repulsive anti-gay ad are all over the internet this morning. Even over his objections to the ad, they probably turned to their token gay guy for costuming, no? ;-)

Posted by: Zlick | Dec 8, 2011 1:07:07 PM

16. Hmm...If I was going to try to destroy a republican's campaign, I'd do it from the inside. I would gain the trust of my republican "peers" by being a "good gay" and I would work diligently to show them just how much I loathe my lifestyle. In fact, I might even help produce a commercial that would extol the gay-hating values of my boss, knowing all the time that such a message would be out of sync with the general populace and would alienate the voting base. That way, I could slowly chip away at the chances my boss would have at a presidential bid.

That's how I would do it, but maybe I'm just a little too scheming and have a little too much time on my hands...

Posted by: E | Dec 8, 2011 1:23:41 PM

17. there really are people lower than crap in this world and gay republicans are somewhere on the bottom.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Dec 8, 2011 1:25:30 PM

18. I'm...I'm just speechless. I always knew that the level of self-delusion, denial and projection that it must take to be a Gay Republican was probably large, but seriously, Salvia's comments are certifiable, multiple-personality disorder kinda stuff.

Posted by: Glenn | Dec 8, 2011 1:28:49 PM

19. What disgusts me is that GOProuder "faggots" like La Salvia and Chris Baron opposed marriage equality and even repeal of DADT until recently. Hypocrites both when they both send checks to antigay candidates campaigns too. Their darling Ron Paul apparently supports DOMA and marriage equality in states that so legislate for or against both. How sicker does it get?

Posted by: robert in nyc | Dec 8, 2011 1:31:41 PM

20. "If you start answering personal attacks, you are just rewarding the attacker"

Not just that, but you're actually holding yourself accountable and being responsible for your actions...Heaven forbid that should happen

Posted by: Nick | Dec 8, 2011 1:32:44 PM

21. When will these people get it.

A culture war is underway, the christian right seeks to destroy all of the freedoms that gay people have fought for. My generation is the lucky recipient of rights and social acceptance fought for hard by older gays and their straight allies.

Being gay is not a choice, it is who we are.

It is profoundly wrong to work for or support any political movement that does not respect that identity and seeks to reduce our civil or legal rights that others fought so hard to gain for us.

The gay people who involve themselves either professionally or politically with the christian right are dishonest to themselves and they dishonour those who fought for the very rights that are at risk.

Let them be traitors to themselves but not to the decent men and women, gay and straight to whom we owe so very much.

It pains me to see this happening in the USA because so much of the gay rights progress in my life in the UK took its inspiration from what took place in the USA in 50s, 60s and 70s.

A culture war is taking place in your great country and it will affect us on the other side of the ocean, please don't let them win.

Posted by: arch | Dec 8, 2011 1:33:33 PM

22. I think he was already out.

Posted by: anon | Dec 8, 2011 1:34:47 PM

23. Pot, meet kettle.

Posted by: LW | Dec 8, 2011 1:54:30 PM

24. Well now Jimmy and Chris know how the 95% of the gay community feel about them.

Posted by: Tre | Dec 8, 2011 2:10:58 PM