News: Brian Burke, Iran, Dean Kamen, Uganda, Mr. Gay UK, Dione

RoadIran rejects U.S. call for return of spy drone.

RoadSegway inventor Dean Kamen joins fight against NH marriage equality repeal.

UgandaRoadMother Jones goes inside gay Uganda.

RoadYoga cat will not be ignored.

RoadToronto Maple Leafs President and General Manager Brian Burke demonstrates why he's continuing to be a hero in the fight against homophobia.

RoadPaul Rudnick updates the Kinsey Scale.

RoadMom disowns son after she comes out to him: the IM trail.

Road'Stop Online Privacy Act' essentially a government "kill switch" for the internet: "Proposed federal legislation purporting to protect online intellectual property would also impose sweeping new government mandates on internet service providers – a positively Orwellian power grab that would permit the U.S. Justice Department to shut down any internet site it doesn’t like (and cut off its sources of income) on nothing more than a whim."

RoadHURT: Leona Lewis performs on UK's The X Factor.

KneenRoadMr. Gay UK crowned. "Samuel Kneen, from Cardiff, was voted the winner at Club Mission in Leeds on Saturday. It comes after weeks of competing with several other men from across the United Kingdom. in the long-running contest."

RoadRecord number of California students attend statewide Gay-Straight Alliance conference "which educators and students say reflects a growing interest in advocacy clubs for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender students and their allies."

RoadResearchers: Ecstasy use causes lasting changes in brain. “Our study provides some of the strongest evidence to date that the drug causes chronic loss of serotonin in humans.”

RoadAccording to Obama strategist David Axelrod, we're all about to see Newt's ass.

RoadSTUDY: Life possible on large areas of Mars. "The low-pressure environment of Mars means water cannot exist as a liquid and will vaporise on the surface, but Lineweaver said the conditions are right underground, where the weight of the soil gives the added pressure required. It would also be warm enough, at certain depths, for bacteria and other micro-organisms to thrive due to heat from the planet's core."

RoadChris Colfer makes a pretty good elf.

RoadVIDEO: RuPaul's Drag Race season 4 gets a trailer.

DioneRoadA new look at Saturn's moon Dione.

RoadObamas condemned for celebrating Christmas too enthusiastically.

RoadIlluminate: NYC wants to light lower Manhattan, and art backers want to light the San Francisco Bay Bridge.

RoadJohn Katehis gets maximum '25 years to life' sentence for murder of gay NYC newsman George Weber.

RoadSurvivor winner and tax evader Richard Hatch finishes nine-month stay in Rhode Island prison: "The Newport resident had spent more than three years in prison for not paying taxes on his $1 million "Survivor" winnings. He was released in 2009 and ordered to refile his 2000 and 2001 taxes and pay what he owed. He went back to prison in March for violating the terms of his supervised release by failing to settle his tax bill. He had claimed he was 'financially destitute.' Hatch said Monday night he was 'happy' to have been released but didn't know where he would be staying." Plans sperm donor reality show...

Comments

1. Brian Burke is one of the greatest allies to our community.

He marched with us in the Toronto Gay Pride Parade wearing his late son's hockey jersey, he is indeed making that he continues the work that his incredible Son would have been doing.

If you want to see this incredible man speak in our support, check this out: Brian speaking at Toronto City Hall on the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 13, 2011 3:45:43 PM

2. In re: "Mom disowns son after she comes out to him: the IM trail."

It should be "Mom disowns son after he comes out to her"

And I wish I could slap the evil out of that woman.

Posted by: Rich F. | Dec 13, 2011 4:24:05 PM

3. well, at least that mom who disowned her son via IM did one thing right - she raised a son whose got astonishingly better command of the English language than she does.

Posted by: Brian | Dec 13, 2011 4:35:47 PM

4. Very handsome choice for Mr Gay UK.

Posted by: Matt26 | Dec 13, 2011 4:39:00 PM

5. Something seems fishy about that "IM Trail" story. What "mom" texts using grammar and punctuation like she was a 14 year old girl?

Posted by: ATLJason | Dec 13, 2011 4:42:41 PM

6. I'm confused - the mom came out and her adult son hates her or the son came out and the mom hates him?

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Dec 13, 2011 5:01:26 PM

7. @ATLJason - funny you should say that. This morning I saw a conversation on Facebook between my best friend and his mom - they have been trying to skype each other but missing. His mom replied "R u around" - she's a high school principal - it made me think.

Posted by: Craig | Dec 13, 2011 5:06:15 PM

8. Re, the IM Trail: The Mom went through her 21 year old son's phone for unknown reasons and found "inappopriate" text messages to another male. Then I guess she texted him later about it. And I WISH I could be surprised that a 21 year old's mother has the grammar and punctuation skills of a 14 year old girl (I would say even that comparison is generous). Anyway, I too would like nothing more than to slap her. I feel bad for her kids, considering she said she was removing him from the list of people who could pick them up from school I imagined they liked their older brother/step-brother, whathaveyou. I hope more people pick up on this story and try to interview the guy for more details. It's certainly a sad affair but I'm glad he made it public, exposing her for the homophobic, racist, uneducated slag she is.

Posted by: Christian | Dec 13, 2011 5:12:11 PM

9. I really wish there was a warning on here when this site was linking to d listed. Cannot stand that site. Such hate and insults. They are no better than school yard bullies.

Posted by: AJ | Dec 13, 2011 5:23:30 PM

10. helpmothermonster dot blogspot dot com

Posted by: Stephanie | Dec 13, 2011 5:35:01 PM

11. Great. So the New Yorker, the mouthpiece of the "liberal" Manhattan elite, runs a column which reinforces every single stereotype about both "straight" and "gay" men and imagines itself to be humorous in the process.

I guess they think such stereotyping is fine as long as it does not emanate from right-wingers.

Pathetic.

Posted by: Rick | Dec 13, 2011 5:52:44 PM

12. Mr Gay UK looks scrumptious...

Posted by: jaragon | Dec 13, 2011 5:58:38 PM

13. "Rick" we all knwo you have no sense of humor. Now you reveal that you don't even know who Paul Rudick is.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 13, 2011 6:21:27 PM

14. @David Ehrenstein Oh, I know who he is....and the fact that he is gay, himself, only makes it even more pathetic.....a sort of "Uncle Tom" for the heteros......but then again, that would apply to all of you who are more than willing to be the flaming sissies straight people want you to be to justify their ridicule of us all........

Posted by: Rick | Dec 13, 2011 6:25:14 PM

15. Wow, you're all kinds of pathetic, Rick. Not really much better than the idiots at NOM, AFA or the likes of Santorum. Such ridiculous, childish views of the world and what constitutes being a man.

You seem to be projecting a bit of your own self-loathing on to others.

Posted by: LiamB | Dec 13, 2011 7:38:30 PM

16. Regarding the Stop Online Piracy Act note. First, you have the name of the bill wrong. It's Piracy not Privacy. Second, your quote comes from an opinion piece written by an organization called Americans for Limited Government. You do not link or quote anything from CreativeAmerica.org, which is supporting the bill.

I've read the bill (HR 3261 -- bills are posted on the House website for anyone, even just regular old voters to read.) HB 3261 does not appear to me to grant the Justice Dept the sweeping powers this quote suggests. It is intended to address the very real problem of intellectual property such as films being copied by parties in other countries then sold in violation of US copyright laws and international intellectual property treaties. Copyright laws protect creativity of all kinds by assuring the person who creates the work can be compensated for it.

I do not know if HB 3261 is the right solution to the problem. But I do believe your post is misleading. At least you should get the name of the bill correct.

Posted by: jpeckjr | Dec 13, 2011 11:01:58 PM

17. RICK, it's not the fault of Paul Rudnick that your dad hated "gay stereotypes" and the only way you were able to win his tolerance was by becoming a pathetically anti-gay gay man.

what's the URL?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 13, 2011 11:21:15 PM

18. it speaks volumes that RICK hates "flaming sissies" yet is still Closeted.

those "flaming sissies" aren't afraid to be Out, and yet RICK is.

who's the real man, eh? Exactly.

RICK, you need to stop blaming gender-nonconformists for the fact that your father wishes you weren't his son.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 13, 2011 11:23:01 PM

19. RE: Rudnick. I thought it was terrific. It poked good-natured fun at all ends and degrees of a spectrum, with wit. I think I'm somewhere between 16 and 17 on this scale, but then, it really didn't describe me ( but then, I never really expected it to).

Posted by: TJ | Dec 14, 2011 2:02:42 AM

20. The Rudnick piece was much less tired than I thought it would be going in. It's harmless and silly, as opposed to stupid and dated.

"So the New Yorker, the mouthpiece of the "liberal" Manhattan elite, runs a column which reinforces every single stereotype about both "straight" and "gay" men and imagines itself to be humorous in the process."

Yes, all those stereotypes about loving Patti LuPone and Mandy Patinkin that I hear day in and day out.

I had to google both just to remember what they looked like. I vaguely remembered Patinkin from my mother watching Chicago Hope when I was a child, and I've never actually seen Patti LuPone perform in person, and I don't think I even heard of her until last year. If these are the worst stereotypes that the New Yorker can dish out, I'm not going to lose much sleep.

Posted by: Nat | Dec 14, 2011 3:55:00 AM

21. "incidentally, you've yet to post the URL to your own page or youtube video where you show us all what a strong masculine manly butch gay male role model you are.

what's the URL?"

I hope you have this in quick-text at this point.

Rick, what exactly is your backstory? Because you show little regard for a good portion of your fellow gays, yet you've also expressed disbelief that many of us have close straight male friends.

Do you have close friends, of either gender, and of any orientation? I am sincerely not trying to mock you, I'm just wondering who you like to spend your time with.

Posted by: Nat | Dec 14, 2011 3:59:14 AM

22. Rick, just keep going. I'm not necessarily on board with you but I love seeing how you irritate Ehrenstein, Kiwi and others, especially Kiwi who usually can't stop his maniac ranting about your balls, your father and any reference to masculin male.

As for Rudnick, he can hit the funny bone, but mostly he's lame and unfunny, at best a queen of farts.

Posted by: uffda | Dec 14, 2011 8:08:59 AM

23. @UFFDA Here's the thing. Any right-wing homophobe would read that piece and find it laugh-out-loud funny. And who are the people on this site who find it funny? The "sissy" brigade.

Do you see the point? The views of the hard-core homophobe actually dovetail with the views of the practitioners/proponents of effeminacy--they both want to equate homosexuality with non-masculinity and heterosexuality with masculinity.....and are utterly hostile towards anyone who challenges that paradigm.

And that is because the "sissy" has internalized the beliefs of the homophobe, which is why he behaves the way he does--his effeminacy is both a symbol of oppression and a marker of low self-esteem (why do you think Kiwi is so obsessed with projecting his "father issues" onto me and to other strangers?)

I think most people who really consider the question objectively cannot fail to reach that conclusion.

Posted by: Rick | Dec 14, 2011 12:47:15 PM

24. "The views of the hard-core homophobe actually dovetail with the views of the practitioners/proponents of effeminacy"

Sorry, but that's just bull-pucky. The homophobe dictates what is unacceptable in the behavior of others, much like those who deem any effeminacy in gay men unacceptable.

"both want to equate homosexuality with non-masculinity and heterosexuality with masculinity.....and are utterly hostile towards anyone who challenges that paradigm."

What a flimsy strawman! Perhaps the hostility is coming from those who refuse to be falsely represented by it?

I find myself wondering what it is about "Follies", coffee table books, and going to museums that is supposed to be so stereotypically "effeminate" to anyone.

Posted by: Task | Dec 14, 2011 3:23:51 PM