Adam Lambert | GLAAD | GQ | News | Twitter

GQ Mocks Adam Lambert for 'Testosterone Problem', Apologizes

A_lambert

GLAAD ordered GQ to apologize today after publishing a tweet mocking Adam Lambert's mustache, and suggesting it wouldnt' help his "testosterone problem." They also linked to a photo of a goateed Lambert on their 'Worst-Dressed List'. The caption there says, "If you wear make-up, do not grow a mustache."

Said the tweet (now deleted):

"Rules of Street Style: If you have testosterone problems, a mustache doesn't always help."

A short time ago, they tweeted an apology:

"Re: our Lambert tweet, we were thoughtless and apologize. We shouldn't make stupid jokes about people's testosterone. As always, we learn."

Altweet

Comments

1. What fifth grader is running the GQ Twitter account? Seriously. You're a major magazine, not TMZ.

Posted by: Paul | Dec 13, 2011 2:43:47 PM

2. Stupid thing for the magazine to say but I have to admit that photo is pretty frightening.

Posted by: Butch | Dec 13, 2011 2:46:24 PM

3. oh come on. whats next? Not being able to make fun of the way Wilfred Brimley says "DIABETUS?" not being allowed to call Rosie O'Donnell fat?

If a famous man wears heavy make up, it seems fair game to pick on his testosterone level.

Posted by: tom a | Dec 13, 2011 2:46:41 PM

4. Doesn't the apology pre-suppose that there is a testosterone problem, making it just as offensive as the comment?

Posted by: Kyle | Dec 13, 2011 2:49:35 PM

5. Whatever words they chose, it doesn't matter. Just look at that photo. He deserves to get ripped apart for it. I honestly thought it was a caricature.

Worst dressed applies, as does the claim that "If you wear make-up, do not grow a mustache."

Posted by: OMNOMNOM | Dec 13, 2011 2:53:27 PM

6. Right, because GQ just oozes testosterone, doesn't it?

Posted by: Glenn | Dec 13, 2011 2:54:11 PM

7. I'm not offended, but it was because of these inane, junior high boys' locker room comments that I stopped reading GQ. Just report on style guys, and leave the juvenile humor alone.

Posted by: Throwslikeagirl | Dec 13, 2011 2:56:30 PM

8. Personally, I am curious why it took the Fashion guy to pick up on a picture almost a year old. While one could agree that make + goatee does not go together, implying that being gay equals testosterone problems is plain ignorant.

Posted by: LiamB | Dec 13, 2011 2:58:11 PM

9. Wow, sorry for the typos there.

Posted by: LiamB | Dec 13, 2011 3:01:43 PM

10. I agree on the no makeup plus facial hair. But not because I have a problem mixing gender characteristics, but because it just looks horrible.

Posted by: Brandon H | Dec 13, 2011 3:02:37 PM

11. Classic example of a non-apology apology.

Posted by: calcifer | Dec 13, 2011 3:09:17 PM

12. Id gladly throw a football at Adam Lambert's make-up face.

Posted by: Your Momma | Dec 13, 2011 3:16:13 PM

13. Its not about if Lambert looks silly with the facial hair...there are plenty of way to snark on someones looks without implying that being gay is just a hormonal imbalance.

Posted by: Crystal | Dec 13, 2011 3:16:53 PM

14. Boo f*ckin hoo GLAAD.

Posted by: TyN | Dec 13, 2011 3:18:39 PM

15. I love the mustache and I think Adam Lambert looks great! I think he looks better than a whole lot of guys, gay or straight! He grew that 'stache in about 3 days!

Posted by: RoRo | Dec 13, 2011 3:20:56 PM

16. Where is the GQ office? I know a bunch of drag queens FULL of testosterone that will kick some ass then throw them over a desk and show them whose the man.

Posted by: QJ201 | Dec 13, 2011 3:21:23 PM

17. Nobody implied that being gay is a hormonal imbalance. They implied that Adam Lambert has a hormonal imbalance. Those statements are very, very different, and I don't think that it's too far of a stretch to question Adam Lambert's hormones based on this photo.

Posted by: OMNOMNOM | Dec 13, 2011 3:24:24 PM

18. That apology seems to have disappeared as well. GQ- FAIL

Posted by: bbctcher | Dec 13, 2011 3:25:52 PM

19. I wouldn't say I'm not offended, the quote is misogynistic and very disrespectful and catty, so I definitely believe an apology should have been expected here. At the same time I usually look at intent in situations like this and I don't think the intent was trying to be as offensive as this came off, GQ goes for cattiness, they often fail like this. With that said, the apology is sort of sarcastic and almost as bad as the Lambert tweet.

I can picture going to a gay bar, showing a few guys this picture and having them say the same exact thing, so I'm maybe a little less offended for that reason. I just think that you can be critical of his style without being rude.

Posted by: Francis | Dec 13, 2011 3:26:16 PM

20. cue the typical anti-Lambert nonsense.

woohoo, making fun of Lambert will totally win you wimps the respect of your fathers.

*yawn*

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 13, 2011 3:26:24 PM

21. @Kyle, yes it does. " We wont make fun of the testosterone impaired gays anymore...sorry."

Adam gets this kind of thing thrown at him all the time. He can look good but those pictures never make news. This one looks like a cross between Dave Navarro and an evil magician. Definitely deserving of mocking but w/o the underlying 12 year old humor.

Saw this response when looking at GQ's twitter: @GQfashion the only testosterone problem Adam Lambert has is when his fashionable pants won't zip over his enormous cock

Posted by: IAN F | Dec 13, 2011 3:26:53 PM

22. Well if his goal was to look like a cheesy anime villain, Adam Lambert got his wish! Though his music isn't to my taste, I recognize he has talent. I just question his rather precious style that make him look more like a plasticized product than an actual, human singer.

Though it was a snotty tweet, GQ isn't too far off the mark. AL has done some work with Queen, but Freddie Mercury never made you question whether he might be a robot or rubber appliance.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 13, 2011 3:29:33 PM

23. Exactly, Crystal. THe look is definitely snark worthy, but making the assumption that being gay must mean someone has testosterone issues is just ignorant.

Posted by: LiamB | Dec 13, 2011 3:30:26 PM

24. He looks like the guy who ties women to railroad tracks in old silent movies.

Posted by: endo | Dec 13, 2011 3:41:49 PM

25. the irony - closet cases saying that lambert deserves to be mocked.

how transparent - gay men furious that Lambert can be Out and embody all the things that they feel they have to "not be" in order to be tolerated or accepted.

mocking him won't make your own lives better, boys.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 13, 2011 3:49:17 PM