Adam Lambert | GLAAD | GQ | News | Twitter

BigGayDeal.com

GQ Mocks Adam Lambert for 'Testosterone Problem', Apologizes

A_lambert

GLAAD ordered GQ to apologize today after publishing a tweet mocking Adam Lambert's mustache, and suggesting it wouldnt' help his "testosterone problem." They also linked to a photo of a goateed Lambert on their 'Worst-Dressed List'. The caption there says, "If you wear make-up, do not grow a mustache."

Said the tweet (now deleted):

"Rules of Street Style: If you have testosterone problems, a mustache doesn't always help."

A short time ago, they tweeted an apology:

"Re: our Lambert tweet, we were thoughtless and apologize. We shouldn't make stupid jokes about people's testosterone. As always, we learn."

Altweet

Comments

1. Once again, GLAAD channels its mighty resources to combat one of the pressing issues of our day -- the oppression of the testosterone-challenged. There's nothing in the tweet that ties the statement to his sexuality. Let's stop crying "wolf."

Posted by: Liam | Dec 13, 2011 3:53:53 PM

2. Ive never known a gay man with a Testosterone deficiency. Actually from what I've seen the problem is quite the opposite.

Posted by: Hans | Dec 13, 2011 3:56:23 PM

3. LOL Little Kiwi. You think dressing up like the villain in a steampunk movie is "embodying being out"? I generally love your mocking of Rick/Jason, but now you're just getting hysterical.

Posted by: endo | Dec 13, 2011 3:57:00 PM

4. What happened to the 1st Amendment here. I agree with GQ'a assessment of Adam Lambert. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. I have a degree in Fashion, and I would put him on the worst dressed list, just for the mustache and goatee alone! Come on, get a grip, shave it off!

Posted by: Randy | Dec 13, 2011 3:57:34 PM

5. I agree, Kiwi. Very pathetic, and not surprising. Actually more offensive to me than the catty GQ quote, because I can actually feel the resentment towards Adam dripping from those comments. Saying it's "fair to say Adam has hormonal issues" and "if a man wears heavy makeup he deserves to be mocked". Adam is more of a man than any of you saying such hateful things about him.

Posted by: Francis | Dec 13, 2011 3:57:41 PM

6. I have extremely low levels of testosterone, to the point my doctor thought I had a brain tumor.... still trying to figure out what to do about it, the hormone replacement made me ultra angry and shrunk my nuts...

point being, yes I am gay, but this is a new development in my body... and in any case, the low testosterone has not decreased the amount of hair in my body or head (it has also not decreased my libido one bit).... in fact I read that less testosterone will prevent one from going bald......

Posted by: V-8 | Dec 13, 2011 3:59:25 PM

7. GQ is not exactly known for having a high surplus of testosterone itself.

Posted by: Paul | Dec 13, 2011 4:07:13 PM

8. I love the comment about Adam's cock size. I referred to it in my last blog, which ironically enough is about Adam and fashion. I think he should have his own fashion reality show called "Adam Lambert Getting Ready". http://lol-psychic.com/

Posted by: Lol-psychic | Dec 13, 2011 4:08:39 PM

9. GQ is run by homophobic straight guys who think they're funny.

Posted by: jason | Dec 13, 2011 4:13:30 PM

10. no, ENDO, but it's just so tiring to hear gays complaining about and mocking (from a cowardly place of Online Anonymity, at that) the "type" of Gay man that Lambert is.

it's so tired and transparent. yes, not only is he Out, but he's Out without conforming to any of the ideals of the Insecure I'm Still A "Real Man" Even Though I'm Gay brigade.

we see it time and time again - gay men angry that he can live openly while defying conventional concepts of gender-norms and they can't.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 13, 2011 4:14:14 PM

11. @Randy ... Yeah, what about the 1st Amendment? Why would you even bring that up?

Posted by: RJ | Dec 13, 2011 4:17:54 PM

12. gq has a long history of being horrendous to the gay community. i can't imagine anybody actually subscribing to them, except maybe the self-loathing goproud crowd.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Dec 13, 2011 4:26:08 PM

13. Im not necessarily really into Mr Lambert - but I like his unique looks...reminds me of a avant garde Young OUT Gay Vincent Price...

Posted by: Gay American | Dec 13, 2011 4:33:32 PM

14. GQ appeals to homophobic metrosexual males, the type who spend their whole lives denying that they have any same-sex interests whatsoever. The women who appear in GQ are mostly molls and media whores.

Posted by: jason | Dec 13, 2011 4:35:15 PM

15. @Little Kiwi: Personally, I always thought of Adam Lambert as the artsy pansexual Burning Man type. And those people DO dress ridiculous. But if you see him as some sort of posterboy for a specific gay identity, then I can understand your point.

For the record, I like him and his music. I just wish he made more songs like "Mad World," which was sublime, and "Broken Open," the final track on his previous album.

Posted by: endo | Dec 13, 2011 4:39:54 PM

16. Haha, I said Rick/Jason's name... and he came running. He's the online Candyman.

Posted by: endo | Dec 13, 2011 4:43:29 PM

17. my point is this- there's something to be said about those who have the balls to be Visibly Ridiculous, as opposed to those who ridicule from the confines of their own Closet.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 13, 2011 4:50:48 PM

18. My guess is that since in reality he's a redhead, he probably started out using mascara/eyeliner/eyebrow pencil to make his eyelashes and brows match his dyed-black hair.

Then, much like Tammy Faye, he just. could. not. stop.

But yeah, I have to agree to one point:

mustache + make-up = No, don't.

Posted by: johnny | Dec 13, 2011 4:52:21 PM

19. Low testosterone levels has nothing to do with one's sexual preferences. There are plenty o gay dudes who sweat testosterone (go to the SOMA Golds Gym in San Francisco for proof) and there are many straight men who have low testosterone levels.
    Once again, we have a case of GLAAD being over zealous "ordering" people to do things when they don't have no such authority.
    If anything, GLAAD is only perpetuating a bad stereotype and incorrect correlation between testosterone and sexual orientation.

Posted by: David | Dec 13, 2011 4:56:27 PM

20. Well, I'm a straight female, so I can't draw on any gay sensibilities, but from my POV I think this look of Lambert's is great. The goatee flatters his face, and he just looks like wicked fun. Isn't he at an industry event? So let's turn up the theatricality. And re: facial hair and makeup -- I can't say I find anything repellant about Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow. Rules just don't hold up.

Posted by: Linda | Dec 13, 2011 4:59:30 PM

21. I agree, Linda.

As for Kiwi's point, the whole crux of the issue is, one can criticize what Adam is wearing WITHOUT saying he is lacking in testosterone. GQ saying it because they're writers are payed to create bitchy comments is one thing. Saying it with the intent many of you are on here is another thing entirely. And Kiwi is RIGHT when he says a lot of gay men do this very thing because they think they look more like men to criticize other gays, who aren't stereotypically masculine.

That's what's *really* weak.

Posted by: Francis | Dec 13, 2011 5:15:20 PM

22. Yeah, you can tell he has a testosterone problem cuz his hair is so thin...

Posted by: BobN | Dec 13, 2011 5:23:29 PM

23. "I have extremely low levels of testosterone, to the point my doctor thought I had a brain tumor.... still trying to figure out what to do about it, the hormone replacement made me ultra angry and shrunk my nuts..."

Did they give you the gel treatment, shots, or the time-release surgical capsule. I'm on the gel stuff. Only one episode of losing my temper in an odd way (beyond the background high-strung Italian temper). Yes, the nuts shrink. I'm not thrilled about that, but the change in how I feel is worth it.

Posted by: BobN | Dec 13, 2011 5:28:20 PM

24. while i can't get behind that look; it's pretty horrible. i don't see why GQ's comment was necessary or funny at all. especially considering GQ is aimed at gay men, for the most part. is it a case of effemiphobia? there are plenty of gay men who are homophobic of what they perceive as effeminate gay men. so afraid are they of being lumped in with them.

Posted by: ian | Dec 13, 2011 5:45:29 PM

25. I seriously thought that was an article about an Lambert doll before I read the article. What the hell? He looks plastic.

Posted by: Scott C. | Dec 13, 2011 5:48:51 PM