Help Pay for Funeral for Bullied Gay Tennessee Teen Jacob Rogers

Rogers

UPDATE: We've met the goal of $5,000. THANK YOU so much to everyone who has donated. I'll have a more specific update later, but I've taken down the donation button.

-----

Many of you saw the news earlier of Jacob Rogers, the Tennessee teen who took his own life after being bullied for years. WMSV mentioned that friends of Jacob's family said that the family is unlikely to be able to afford a funeral, and mentioned that a tattoo parlor was taking donations.

Because it's a bit iffy to send money to a random tattoo parlor, Towleroad, with Slog and Joe.My.God, have initiated a fund for Jacob's funeral - we hope to raise $5,000. Any additional donations will be split between GLSEN, Trevor Project, the ACLU, and the It Gets Better Project.

Use the donate button below if you are interested in helping out. Any size  contribution is welcome. Thanks.

Note: Dan Savage's Seattle newspaper The Stranger (which runs Slog) kindly helped set up the PayPal, so those of you curious about the receipt on your donation should know that's what it indicates.

Comments

1. Thank you so much for doing this!!!! You have no idea how much it means to all of us!! I personally want to thank each and every single person from the bottom of my heart for the donations! Thanks to you all, our friend will be able to have a proper burial and be laid to rest peacefully!

Posted by: Kris | Dec 8, 2011 4:42:26 PM

2. Would love to donate, but I can't find the link!

Posted by: Mary Davin | Dec 8, 2011 4:47:32 PM

3. I'm tired of learning about these kids AFTER the fact. Andy, how about setting up a 1-800-STOP-BULLYING hotline (or web site) so that we can find out about these kids plights and step in as their advocates ahead of the fact! I'm not very tech savy or I'd do it. We can and should be their fierce advocate!
    Thanks for easing the pain of this family and my condolences to Jacob's friends as well.

Posted by: TruthSeeker_Too | Dec 8, 2011 7:38:56 PM

4. I find it a bit insensitive myself that you say it is iffy to donate to a tattoo parlor. Those people usually tend to be great and friendly people. I know 4 tattoo and piercing artists myself that do my work for me and they donate some of their spare time in a hospice. I really wish you would retract that statement and apologize. BTW, where is the donate button? Do not see it. $5000 does not cover a funeral, so put it back up if you took it down.

Posted by: Patrick Wendling-Markwell | Dec 8, 2011 8:33:37 PM

5. Read this story on the news just now and came to donate. Seems you guys have already met the goal. Thank you for helping.

Posted by: Jen | Dec 9, 2011 9:34:46 AM

6. There are to many teens who get bullied whether or not they are gay. Parents need to raise their kids better so they don't bully others.

Posted by: Teen Help | Dec 12, 2011 12:59:50 PM