Bullying | Education | Gay Youth

BigGayDeal.com

Jonah Mowry Is Not Enjoying Middle School

JonahMowry

Jonah Mowry, a bullied middle school student, describes his mindset at the beginning of 8th grade. Watch, AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. IT's going to be ok Jonah. From Toronto Canada

Posted by: Eric & El | Dec 4, 2011 9:39:30 AM

2. Oh God! That just rips the heart out of me! Where is this kid? Is ANYBODY doing anything to reach out to him? This just kills me.

Posted by: Bobby | Dec 4, 2011 9:41:02 AM

3. .......my morning coffee.......my favorite blog........a broken heart.

Posted by: John | Dec 4, 2011 9:44:44 AM

4. Sweetie. . . those kids don't hate you {they don't even know you!} They pick just to pick, and unfortunately you ended at the bottom of the totem pole. It's like chickens in a yard---each pecks at the next until there is one that gets all the pecks. But. . .YOU aren't a chicken. Let the others be fowl(s)---you remain human and stay above the flock.

Posted by: Christopher | Dec 4, 2011 9:53:18 AM

5. Oh my. That was heart-rending. He's captures so many of our shared experiences growing up in an intolerant world. Props to this young man for his passion and eloquence. May he go far in this world.

Posted by: Tone | Dec 4, 2011 9:58:51 AM

6. This video had me in tears.....soo powerful......Im 51 now - but I remember Junior High in 1975 - IT SUCKED ......So glad he's getting lots of Positive feedback (tho of course assholes too)

Posted by: disgusted american | Dec 4, 2011 10:05:05 AM

7. Mowry's video is heart wrenching and powerful.

The Towleroad headline of "not enjoying" is flippant and callous. It should be changed to really reflect the reality of this video.

Posted by: Continuum | Dec 4, 2011 10:06:39 AM

8. So painful to watch, I hope he reaches out for help and can find it.

Posted by: Rob West | Dec 4, 2011 10:14:36 AM

9. Check out Gawker, he's doing ok.

Posted by: sylvatica | Dec 4, 2011 10:21:35 AM

10. Painful and adorable. His update is even better, especially after watching the first.

Posted by: KevinVT | Dec 4, 2011 10:34:29 AM

11. Dear god. That tore my heart out because I *was* that kid and I don't know how I survived it. Luck, maybe, and that I wouldn't give my tormenters the satisfaction of seeing me break.

Has someone contacted this boy's school or his family? Because those are brave words he holds up at the end but Jamey Rodemeyer made an "It Gets Better" video not long before he killed himself. Those words aren't a guarantee of anything and this boy needs help.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 4, 2011 10:35:15 AM

12. Have to agree with Continuum.... the headline is flippant and so not what this video and post deserve..

Posted by: Trace | Dec 4, 2011 10:39:35 AM

13. Dear Jonah,
    Something makes me think that you're going to be OK.
    Something else makes me think your brave video will make the world a far better place than it has been.
    I can tell you're a good boy.
    Sane Soul

Posted by: Sane. Soul. | Dec 4, 2011 10:44:29 AM

14. Oh dear God. Is there anyone reaching out to this child? My dear sweet Jonah. Trust me. They do not hate you. They hate themselves and your just the fallout victim. As a Christian, that happens to be gay,let me tell you that God makes no mistakes. You are so wonderful and precious.
    Yes you do hve a million reasons to go on. someone waits to love you in the future...life is going to be wonderful in the future...do not miss out on all the good things. Always in my prayers......you have a friend.

Posted by: Michael Deselms | Dec 4, 2011 10:44:51 AM

15. Jonah seems to be doing much better now. Here is his twitter account.

Posted by: john | Dec 4, 2011 10:48:03 AM

16. And also this is Jonah's new you tube account. http://www.youtube.com/user/RandomTV201

Posted by: john | Dec 4, 2011 10:50:34 AM

17. he could have an incredible future in the music/video/ad agency business. he's creative with a message, and clearly highly talented. (so much so that i wasn't even sure this was real.)

Posted by: shane | Dec 4, 2011 10:53:12 AM

18. I think 4th Dec is World Jonah Day! The world should celebrate this! You're one of the world's bravest person i know!

Posted by: Mary | Dec 4, 2011 11:01:09 AM

19. This breaks my heart and makes my blood boil at the same time. No one should have to go through this, and I place blame on the effin political/public figures who hide behind religious smokescreen for their anti-gay sentiments. To watch them justify their hate is unfathomable to me - they are public bullies. And, perhaps the saddest part, is that I, as a gay man, don't feel that our pro-equality voices are loud enough, strong enough, or listened to enough to drown out the hate . . . . especially entering election years. Yes, times are changing, but they need to change quicker to protect all the kids like Jonah. Just my two cents.

Posted by: alex | Dec 4, 2011 11:03:14 AM

20. Very, very sad. We've all been there. But even still, I can't imagine the pain kids like Jonah feel.

Where are the parents? Why does it take these kids to speak out in such a public way to be heard? That's what confuses and angers me. These kids continue not being heard, being abused, feeling totally in despair. There needs to be some type of way these kids can communicate what is going on to them with confidence and support. Without that bullied children will continue suffering in silence.

It's great to see his video getting so many positive ratings but I hate the stupid boys on YT who think they're funny by trolling or think it makes them manly to be homophobic. Those kids are the ones who are causing the problems in the real world.

Posted by: Francis | Dec 4, 2011 11:29:24 AM

21. SOMEBODY SAVE THAT KID!!!!! Go shake his parents to take him out of that school....... Heartbreaking is to light a word for this........

Posted by: Tabsea | Dec 4, 2011 11:30:36 AM

22. And my parents wonder why I think this world we humans have built for ourselves sucks goat balls so often.

It blows me away now, but I largely escaped bullying because I genuinely love sports and loud guitar bands. I used stereotypes to my advantage if someone called me a fag: "Oh yeah? Who's the closer for the Twins? Who coached the Rams before Chuck Know?" etc. They wouldn't know and all of a sudden the focus was on them.

KevinVT, thanks for the link to the follow up.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Dec 4, 2011 11:45:32 AM

23. Brandon - CHANGE THAT HEADLINE OF YOURS RIGHT NOW! It's inexcusably insensitive.

Posted by: uffda | Dec 4, 2011 11:52:05 AM

24. I was bullied throughout my school years. Somehow I got through it. I am a 61 year old gay man, married to a wonderful man and life is great! Hang in there!

Posted by: Larry | Dec 4, 2011 12:03:25 PM

25. Dear Uffda:

Change the headline to what? Jonah Mowry Is Having An Excellent Time In Middle School? I fail to see how stating a fact with which Jonah Mowry would plainly agree -- that Jonah Mowry is having a less than brilliant experience in the vicious pressure cooker of the American educational system -- is insensitive.

Tell you what: I think snarkiness, faux-irony, and misplaced sarcasm is so endemic on the web that its become difficult to tell when somebodys cracking wise. Im certainly not. I *was* Jonah Mowry in the 90s, minus the YouTube account. His plights the last thing in the world Id joke about.

- BKT