Bullying | Education | Gay Youth

Jonah Mowry Is Not Enjoying Middle School

JonahMowry

Jonah Mowry, a bullied middle school student, describes his mindset at the beginning of 8th grade. Watch, AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. Thanks for reposting, this video needs to go viral, and help Jonah and other kids.

Posted by: Ken | Dec 4, 2011 12:16:34 PM

2. I love the end of the video. Every kid going through hard times in school should watch this. Suicide is NEVER an option. Stick around and rise above, because it DOES get better!

Will be rooting for you Jonah!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Dec 4, 2011 12:36:28 PM

3. Powerful video. The headline absolutely does not do it justice.

Posted by: Kyle | Dec 4, 2011 12:42:37 PM

4. Brandon - Why so defensive? I appreciate that you posted the video, as I'm sure others do. The headline understates the power of the Jonah's message. I, for one, am not suggesting you had ill intent. I encourage you to be open to feedback from your readers, though, when your work comes across differently than you intended.

Posted by: Kyle | Dec 4, 2011 12:51:08 PM

5. kevin jennings is an important person fighting gay bullying. this guy is trashing mr. jennings.

let him know he is wrong. kevin jennings has done more for lgbt people then this guy.

defend kevin jennings!

Posted by: Kevin | Dec 4, 2011 1:00:39 PM

6. Heartbreaking! So brave of Jonah to record this video.
    Very glad that this was posted so that I and others could view it. People of every age, young teens, adults, are capable of being cruel & judgmental. It makes me ill. Funny how often we don't see it in ourselves. Because we're adults??

Posted by: Barbara | Dec 4, 2011 1:26:14 PM

7. Posting supposed news from mid-August really isn't helpful. Creating a crisis when it's over.

Posted by: Will | Dec 4, 2011 1:39:55 PM

8. All I can think to say is what a brave lad. I'm 21 and I have only recently started to come to terms with who I am after having my fair share of bullying while at school. Seeing Jonah's video really shows how important it is for us all to look out for each other so that we may do all we can to give people the love and support that they desperately need. No one should be made to feel like this ever. The world is a big place, and being a kid can make us feel stuck. I hope he is alright and realises that things will get so much better for him as time goes on.
    Its heartwarming to see all the love and support for him!
    Jonah, I wish you all the best for the future and I really hope that someday your highs will counter your lows in life.
    I know he made the video a while ago but I hope that the love that is streaming in for him now will get him through any rough patches he might face in future.

Posted by: John | Dec 4, 2011 2:12:42 PM

9. Jonah Mowry's story hit me directly in the stomach! I went through the same things as he is experiencing. I never came out in school but everyone knew I was gay. A lot of bullying...the more bullying, the less support from my supposed friends. To this day, my high school 'friends' wonder why I reject high school reunions so fiercely.
    I decided to try to ignore the bullying...I studied twice as hard...when I graduated valedictorian, I made a point to look at the 'losers' who had made my childhood hell. They are the same losers today.

Posted by: chuck | Dec 4, 2011 2:55:58 PM

10. If we want to win the fight in Minnesota and North Carolina ...we need to use this video! Voting against gay rights have consequences! and this is a great video we can use to make people understand of the struggles that LGBT people endure every single day! This is the answer to all of those hateful videos we saw during Prop 8 in California! We need to think about the kids we are hurting! we need to make sure that our next generation of LGBT kids have a better time than we did growing up! Awesome video!

Posted by: Josh | Dec 4, 2011 3:00:17 PM

11. Oh please, now some of you are attacking poor BKT for a perfectly toned headline. Just take it down a notch, with the hyperventilating, heart-clutching drama. That's not helping anyone.

Posted by: Patrick Wellington III | Dec 4, 2011 3:19:08 PM

12. That's a pretty pithy headline for such powerful video

Posted by: Donald | Dec 4, 2011 3:41:55 PM

13. watching this clip reminds me of my own middle school experience, kids at that age can be so horrible to one another and I don't understand it, never have.

And Jonah you are right you do have a MILLION reasons for being here, and keep in mind that eight grade only lasts a year, it may feel like an eternity but it does get better, just stay strong!

Posted by: Terry | Dec 4, 2011 3:49:16 PM

14. Brandon, I have to disagree with you. I have been sharing this video for the last two days and posting about it and when i saw your headline above it, I was immediately on the defensive and insulted by it. It sounds like a headline i would expect if fox news carried the story. Obviously if this many people have focused in on that, something is not right about it.

Posted by: Tom | Dec 4, 2011 4:06:51 PM

15. He has been supported in school and is enjoying his 15 minutes of fame. His Twitter feed reports that he has been contacted by many out gay celebs including Rosie O'Donnell, Perez Hilton, Nick Jonas and others.

Posted by: Frank Susa | Dec 4, 2011 4:07:22 PM

16. https://twitter.com/#!/JonahMowryReal

Posted by: Frank Susa | Dec 4, 2011 4:08:09 PM

17. I have to agree with what everyone above said about the HEADLINE. Sure, it is a minor point, but regardless of how it was intended it clearly is coming off to many people as

snarky &
    dismissive,

as if this child's suffering is minor and HIS fault somehow. I had seen the video elsewhere already, and this headline surprised me on a pro-gay blog. I'm not sure why Brandon was so defensive to the feedback.

Posted by: Spencer | Dec 4, 2011 5:07:54 PM

18. I watched this video last night and it crushed me. I just looked on his YT page and someone is actually saying that his video was nothing but a hoax. I don't know what to say.

Posted by: Harry | Dec 4, 2011 6:50:44 PM

19. Brandon- love your writing but I agree with most of the posters here. Why don't you suck it up as a lesson learned, be the bigger person (you do have the bully pulpit after all) and re post? C'mon, your post was flippant. It's ok. We're all glad you're here!

Posted by: Wbnyc | Dec 4, 2011 7:15:39 PM

20. Dear Jonah,

Please know that there are many people watching this -- men, women, gay, straight, or something not quite either -- who came home from school on too many days and cried because they felt sad, lonely, or hopeless. You are not alone.

As you say in your powerful video, there are indeed a million reasons for you to have hope, to stick it out, to dream your dreams, and to imagine all the wonderful possibilities and adventures your life will hold. Please believe me when I tell you that what seems important or cruel or incomprehensible at 14 won't be so when you're 17, or 21, or 30, or 45. Things do change. And, yes, get better. Your priorities, reactions, and most importantly what interests you will vary and develop, unfolding in ways that you'll marvel at.

And please seek out safe, trustworthy, and kind friends, family, and resources. You are a sensitive, bright, and promising boy who already has figured out how to reach out to others in the world who may have gone through something like what you are experiencing, or -- I hope you know -- other young people who may now be facing the same things. You give them comfort and you give them hope.

Please realize that you have many friends whom you have not yet met, and that is just one of your million reasons to experience this amazing journey of life. Go day by day, my friend. Keep us posted. We are cheering for you.

I know.

-- MT

Posted by: MT | Dec 4, 2011 7:20:32 PM

21. WILL above wrote: Posting supposed news from mid-August really isn't helpful. Creating a crisis when it's over.

So, the crisis may be over for Jonah, but what about the rest of the kids out there suffering as he did? Does this video have no power, no importance, because Jonah may be feeling better now? How many Johahs are out there suffering in silence, with no video outlet to share their pain and cry for help? With no friends, and no family to which they feel they can turn?

"Supposed" news? Really? Would you rather have found out that he killed himself? Does a kid have to die before the pain itself, a pain that is currently being felt by so many others, becomes noteworthy?

Posted by: TJ | Dec 4, 2011 8:30:08 PM

22. Great job Jonah! The world hears you.

B

Posted by: B | Dec 4, 2011 9:22:26 PM

23. http://www.therealstevegray.com/2011/12/do-you-ever-feel-suicidal/ I felt compelled after watching Jonah to post this. Love him.

Posted by: steve | Dec 4, 2011 9:26:40 PM

24. You have all said it all .

Yet I remind myself that I belong to a species that ties people to a stake and burns them alive.
    Our species has still not expunged its malicious violence.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 4, 2011 9:51:30 PM

25. From the very beginning of your video, I could see the pain in your eyes, even when you "smiled" your happy smile. Forty years ago I was you, Jonah. Please don't cut anymore. I won't make platitudes and say "It gets better", even though it eventually does, because that won't help you now. There will be a lot of ups, AND downs between now and then. The only way I got through it myself was a very small number of friends I made a promise to, one not to hurt myself. Please make that promise to someone! If I could, I would hold you tight and hug you until it all went away. But I can't, none of us here can. But know this, you are stronger than any of your bullies. You can be more than they will ever be!

Posted by: Matt | Dec 4, 2011 10:25:18 PM