Bullying | Education | Gay Youth

Jonah Mowry Is Not Enjoying Middle School

JonahMowry

Jonah Mowry, a bullied middle school student, describes his mindset at the beginning of 8th grade. Watch, AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. i would like to tell this poor child that the world can be very cruel at times but there are alot of good people out there to give you hope. It will get easier i was called alot of names in scool also but in the end i have 3 boys of my own who love me unconditionally. All you got to believe is that the good lord put you here for a purpose and he loves us all the same go to a councelor at school aparent or your local church they can help you get through the hurt that these other children have put you through . I think you are very couragous to stand up for yourself you are stronger than you believe . If you want a facebook friend please add me and i will listen anytime . may god bless you child andremember there are people who care you are not alone . cheryl romero okc, ok

Posted by: cheryl romero | Dec 4, 2011 10:40:21 PM

2. He lied, look him up on YouTube

Posted by: Lee | Dec 5, 2011 3:44:33 AM

3. This was the most powerful video om bullying I have ever seen,yet he's only one kid from one school in America... and how many times a day throughout America is this happening. Back in the early 50s, I quit high school when I was 16 because I had "those" tendencies. I was not bullied, however I had the fear of being called queer(that is what they called them back then} It was considered taboo just to know someone who was queer,let alone be gay at home, in school or the workplace. There was no place to go to talk with on the subject anywhere.

I am a month away from 75, and I can tell you we have made progress, always at a snails pace. I moved to San Francisco in the early 1960s to be myself. I discovered that many beatniks,hippies,flower children and war protesters were also gay. By the 1970s, I was involved in the early gay rights movement and the first gay softball league in the country. I knew Harvey Milk and Mayor Moscone as friends. Like I said we were moving in the right direction at a very slow pace. There seemed to be roll models popping up on TV and entertainment and in politics.

I moved back to Chicago in the late 1980s.The city that I left because it was not gay friendly. It seemed like there was progress made since the 60s. By the 1990s, I witnessed an openly gay Alderman(and qualified) get elected. The media helped by showing thousands at our Pride Parade, gays where elected to Congress and by the turn of the century the City helped co-host the Gay Games,there was an ongoing series at the Chicago History Museum showcasing the contributions gays made to Chicago and elsewhere.The Chicago Cubs was one of the first MLB teams that had an annual OUT Day at the ballpark,and the Chicago Metropolitan Sports Association was the biggest sports league in the Mid-West. However the best change that I witnessed was when I was given a ticket to the Walter Payton Prep High School's student stage play, and in the PLAYBILL, several of the student actors listed in their "Bio's" that they belonged to the Gay/ Straight Alliance. I later contacted them, and was invited to speak to them on a Coming Out Day Assembly and to their group on several occasions. IT'S GREAT TO KNOW THAT KIDS NO LONGER HAVE TO QUIT SCHOOL TO BE THEMSELVES, AND ADULTS NO LONGER HAVE TO MOVE OUT OF THEIR HOMETOWNS,TOO! UNFORTUNATELY NOT ALL CHICAGO SCHOOLS HAVE G/S ALLIANCE CHAPTERS... AND THE SAME FOR JR. AND HIGH SCHOOLS THROUGHOUT AMERICA. IT'S A START, BUT WE HAVE ALONG WAY TO GO TO INSURE KIDS CAN GO TO SCHOOL WITHOUT THE FEAR OF BEING BULLIED. WE MUST SHOW KIDS LIKE JONAH THAT THERE IS HOPE "OUT THERE",AND IT MUST TAKE PLACE NOW, NOT LATER. ONE GAY KID BULLIED, IS ONE GAY KID BULLIED TOO MUCH! THANKS JONAH FOR YOUR COURAGE... IT DOES GET BETTER!

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher | Dec 5, 2011 8:36:33 AM

4. Checked out his follow-up on YouTube--he seems considerably more chipper now (4 months later), and apparently has a best gal pal who supports him. However, several hateful and obnoxious posters are now claiming that this means he "lied" in his previous video, and assaulting him with invective, insults, etc. So he's still got a long road ahead of him.

The original video bruised my heart--I've definitely been there, felt that. And now, substitute teaching in middle schools, I regularly see what little trolls 8th graders can be to each other. (For me, that's the rock-bottom year developmentally.) Wish I was teaching at Jonah's school, so my classroom could be a safe haven for him.

Godspeed, kiddo--you've got more love and support out there than you can imagine. Hope you know that now.

Posted by: Dback | Dec 5, 2011 10:22:08 AM

5. Anyone who watches this and does not have this affect them and she a tear(s), is not compassionate.
    I totally sympathize with Jonah for my childhood into adult years was horrendous. Abusive father, bullied in school, and hardly went in the later stages due to it all. At first I thought what are his parents doing, but then thought better to wonder, cause if his dad was like mine, forget it. I tried committing suicide in my teens, but I made a promise to God, my Mom that I wouldnt again, and here i am into my 40's. I only gained strength from it all and during, therafter, and can only hope Jonah keeps gettign stronger and hangs tough and seeks a counselor...I only wish he were my son and/or I can do something for him....

Posted by: Christian Scott Thomas | Dec 5, 2011 1:30:04 PM

6. I wish I could help and will if you can think of anything an old man in Bristol, England could do for you. I was lucky. My school actively stamped out bullying and I was only bullied for a week or two. When I told my headmaster he stopped it overnight.

Isn't there anyone in your school who could do that for you?
    Love,
    Anthony

Posted by: Anthony | Dec 5, 2011 3:26:06 PM

7. Hey Buddy, you're not alone. Please don't cut yourself anymore, and know that you are LOVED and your light is needed here on Earth. You have to be smarter and faster than the bullies. You also need to know how to physically protect yourself. Go online and find a martial arts training facility near you, and enroll. You will find that by gaining the ability physically defend yourself will not only build up your confidence, but it will get you 1 step closer to freedom from these bullies. Trust me, 1 good ass whoopin' from someone picking on you will make them keep clear and send a message. Contact me if you need help.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Dec 5, 2011 4:23:54 PM

8. "His Twitter feed reports that he has been contacted by many out gay celebs including Rosie O'Donnell, Perez Hilton, Nick Jonas and others."

PEREZ HILTON?!

GayFAIL

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Dec 5, 2011 4:44:46 PM

9. LEE: Because he may be feeling better now, he "lied" in the first video? I watched the second one. He thanks the people who supported him, and calls out the haters who made negative comments on the video. The haters on the second video don't like him now because he's too "gay" and sassy. Apparently, he should have stayed depressed and oppressed instead of appearing out and proud.

Poor kid. I want his parents to take away computer access. He's been low before, and now has hundreds of cyber bullies trying to push him back down.

Posted by: TJ | Dec 5, 2011 4:56:53 PM

10. TJ: I don't think people are accusing him of lying because he is happy. I think many people are just feeling misled by the original video. I myself was very touched by the original video and wanted to reach out to him. After seeing the update video I feel as if the first video was either a hoax or at least an exaggeration of the truth that takes advantage of the many people who do care deeply about this issue. I wouldn't fault him for being happy, that's what we are all hoping for after all. What I would fault him for is saying that he is bullied every day and feels all alone and there are a LOT of people who HATE him, and then come back a few months later and say my whole school loves me. There is no way that an entire middle school just up and became perfect in a matter of months. To me that trivializes the whole issue which for most everybody else is a long and difficult process and not something you just make a youtube video and then overnight you are happy and sassy. If things werent really that bad for him to begin with, then it is offensive to those truly going through this to have attention to their needs usurped, if he was telling the truth, then perhaps the second video was in bad taste as it paints an unrealistic portrait of the experience of someone going through bullying.

Posted by: JW | Dec 5, 2011 8:51:53 PM

11. Hey,

I just wanna let you know that I will support you. HUGZ. People tend to suck. You can't let it get you down.

I don't know how you feel, but I have been there myself. I sympathize with you. I have done some really stupid things in my life too. Things I am not proud of, even things I am ashamed of.

You know what. It does not make me a bad person. It just makes me like everyone else, Human.

Also just to point something else out. 1 out of every 10 people you meet is gay, bi, or whatever. Everyone in school is just trying to fit in and not stand out, but that is boring and lame. Just be well and take care of yourself. School is not all of your life it just something that you have to deal with for a while.

Hugz and lots of love. Be good to yourself.

Posted by: Kieron Mann | Dec 6, 2011 5:33:42 PM

12. no one should have to be afraid of school

Posted by: winston | Dec 7, 2011 9:52:43 AM

13. I Corinthians 6:9; 10 (NET)

6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! The sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers,passive homosexual partners, practicing homosexuals.

Homosexuality is an illicit lust forbidden by God.

Posted by: charles jones | Dec 7, 2011 12:23:55 PM