Football (American) | Madonna | News | Sports | Super Bowl

Madonna Super Bowl Performer Announcement: VIDEO

Madonna

Last night, NBC broadcast the official announcement that Madonna, as rumored, would be the halftime performer at Super Bowl XLVI.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. So the AutoTuned skank who used her lack of clothing as a marketing ploy and faked her bisexuality for the purpose of titillating sleazy straight guys is playing at the Superbowl, right? Remind me to switch off.

Posted by: jason | Dec 5, 2011 7:57:37 AM

2. You know your career's over when.

Posted by: Protogenes | Dec 5, 2011 8:11:55 AM

3. it was all going so well until trump popped up right at the end...is he going to perform ? not very glam...

Posted by: arch | Dec 5, 2011 8:15:54 AM

4. Jason must be another Gaga fan!! They get so feisty! =P

Posted by: jay | Dec 5, 2011 8:17:00 AM

5. I'm excited about this. Yes, Gaga would have been better (and is a better live performer), but hey, give the legend her too. She might be as old as Tom Petty and Sting, but at least she'll be a little more entertaining than our Super Bowl fare of late.

Posted by: bfenster | Dec 5, 2011 9:03:02 AM

6. Yawn. I guess I'll take a bathroom break during her performance and think of her while I take a dump. Hate her with a passion.
    And I am so glad to discover that I'm not the only gay man who refuses to worship this mean-to-the-core egomaniac!

Posted by: piernudo | Dec 5, 2011 9:08:48 AM

7. Cue the ageist and sexists comments from the always predictable Towleroad readers. Love her music or hate it, there is no denying that she has done more for the LGBT community than most performers. And this bile about using the gay community by pretending she was bisexual? It is called tweaking the establishment, something that dates back to the beginning of pop culture. I grew up with Bowie, Jagger, Grace Jones and the like and they all flirted with sexual ambiguity.

Posted by: jamesintoronto | Dec 5, 2011 9:25:10 AM

8. @Protogenes. That's silly. Lots of performers at the top of their game have performed at the Super Bowl. @Jason - Gaga fans are so ridiculous. If you hate on Madonna, fine, but why waste your energy commenting on her. People just love to wallow in their negativity and bring others down with them. That reflects on you, not the person you are criticizing. Grow up.

As for me, I do worship Madonna, though can admit when she can make a mistake. All these gay men who forget that M has done so much for the gay community are pretty shallow. She, Liz Taylor, Doris Day, Elton John and a handful of others were the only ones brave enough to comment on and raise money for AIDS, and she was the only one with a real career to lose. When people say, what has she done lately, I say, she didn't have to do anything, but she did. That she's now focusing on AIDS in Africa and children's aid is fine by me. She doesn't have to support the gays 24-7 for me to respect her.

Super Bowl... Meh, but I'll watch it for her. Good luck, Madge, and pick up a hot quarterback!

Posted by: Graphicjack | Dec 5, 2011 9:36:56 AM

9. Second to the Quarterbacks another reason to watch the Superbowl. I wish her the best.

Posted by: Rob West | Dec 5, 2011 10:49:54 AM

10. oh geez. So many bitter queens here.

Posted by: Gabriel | Dec 5, 2011 12:11:14 PM

11. Jason is not a Gaga fan, people. He's a misogynist.

Posted by: endo | Dec 5, 2011 12:23:29 PM

12. Ya know what they say...if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Posted by: James | Dec 5, 2011 1:23:38 PM

13. Boring meet Has-Been, perfect match!

I remember when Madonna actually did something for the gay community (other than sell us millions of records).

Posted by: Yawwwwwwn…. | Dec 5, 2011 2:29:57 PM

14. Dear Madonna, your music helped inspire me to Come Out when I was a teen in the 90s. So, thanks.

:D

To everyone who can't say a nice word, um....congrats? I don't watch the superbowl, but i'll tune for madonna.
    :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 5, 2011 2:38:20 PM

15. I might have actually been excited about this...if it was still the 90's.

Posted by: Boring | Dec 5, 2011 7:29:51 PM

16. @Jason, you're already switched off, dear.

Posted by: Kevin B | Dec 5, 2011 7:30:00 PM