Gay Marriage | Janice Daniels | Michigan

Michigan Mayor Not Happy 'Queers' Can Marry in New York or Anywhere

Facebook_daniels

Janice Daniels, the new mayor of Troy, Michigan, is feeling the heat for a recently-uncovered Facebook status update she wrote back in June after marriage equality was passed in New York.

DanielsSaid Daniels' update: "I think I am going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there."

MLive reports:

The blog “Keep Troy Strong” uncovered the post last night, and it’s spread across social media. Daniels confirmed today that she did post the message, though she said she decided against ditching the bag.

“I may have said something like that,” she said. “I probably shouldn’t have used that kind of language, but I do believe marriage should be between one man and one woman.”

Daniels also criticized “Keep Troy Strong” for having a vendetta against her administration...

...Daniels added that while she’s opposed to gay marriage, and has moral issues with homosexuality, she doesn’t hate gay people. “I love all people. I am human. That was probably a poor choice of words.”

The Facebook post has since been removed.

Daniels was elected last month and is a longtime activist in Michigan’s Tea Party, the Detroit Free Press reports:

Gay rights leaders in Michigan said Daniels’ words amounted to hate speech. Denise Brogan-Kator, executive director of Equality Michigan, said on her own Facebook page: “I find it discouraging that a leader of people can have such disregard for the lives of people she serves.”

UPDATE: A rally protesting Daniels and calling for her resignation is scheduled 3 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. at Troy City Hall, 500 W. Beaver, which coincides with a Troy City Council meeting at 7:30 p.m.

Comments

1. This idiot woman deserves all the ridicule and scorn that can be heaped upon her. Part of the Tea Party -- no surprise there, they seem to be a beacon for the regressive, overtly ignorant, scumbags such as Janice Daniels.

And it wasn't a poor choice of words, it was exactly who she is. It tells us everything who this dolt is and why she should be drummed out of public life.

Posted by: Bart | Dec 5, 2011 12:18:08 PM

2. Troy is also home to the Somerset Collection, a huge shopping complex with Saks, Neimans, Norstrom, and Macy's. Maybe all the gay employees should call in sick and gay shoppers refuse to shop there on the Saturday before Christmas. Lost sales = lost revenue for Troy.

Posted by: Paul | Dec 5, 2011 12:46:40 PM

3. Can't we just murder this whore? Sick of reading stuff like this all the time

Posted by: DanSwon | Dec 5, 2011 1:11:21 PM

4. Commander Warf wants his hair back.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Dec 5, 2011 1:22:03 PM

5. Call her. Her number is on her website. (248) 882-9996

Posted by: Trinity | Dec 5, 2011 1:43:04 PM

6. Why do these whack jobs always have eyes that look like psychopaths? She has Michelle Bachman eyes. Jeez. It's scary.
    She is scary.

Posted by: SFShawn | Dec 5, 2011 1:54:08 PM

7. Can someone link to her facebook page? I couldn't find it

Posted by: DanSwon | Dec 5, 2011 1:57:13 PM

8. and the rest of the sane world is not happy that bigots keep getting elected into office....

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 5, 2011 2:21:37 PM

9. All you radical nut jobs out there who love to argue that the Q-word has been "reclaimed as an endearment" by LGBT folk . . . here's yet another wake-up call!

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Dec 5, 2011 2:22:46 PM

10. cross-eyed b1tch.

Posted by: EO | Dec 5, 2011 2:24:10 PM

11. @Stuffed Animal, there's a difference.

I self-identify as Queer, not as my orientation but as a very pointed statement about my sociopolitical identity.

"Queers" doesn't mean GAY. Not all queer people are gay, not all gay people are queer.

queer people reclaiming the word as an empowered identity doesn't give this woman the right to use the word as a decidedly and specifically negative label.

the Queer identity being reclaimed it, quite simply, a stance of identifying a difference from the perceived norm that nonetheless should not justify one being discriminated against. diversity - the right and freedom to not be of the perceived "norm" and yet not *punished* for it.

there's a difference between self-identifying and someone tossing out a word as specific slander.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 5, 2011 2:29:42 PM

12. Wow. What this woman said was inexcusable--if you HAVE to disagree, while there's no logical reason to do so on this issue, say it in better wording--but the comments here are even harsher. Do we really have to attack what this woman looks like in order to condemn her message? Seriously? That's just going to set her more against us, because instead of showing your disagreement, you're just attacking her.

Posted by: Yuki | Dec 5, 2011 3:00:22 PM

13. Really the only problem with the mayor's remarks was the use of the now-pejorative term "queer." Other than that she was simply expressing frustration with the passage of a gay marriage bill and letting us know her viewpoint on a still-controversial subject. Calling for her resignation is really over the top, although I understand why LGBT people are upset with her. Save your ire for the big fights. Perpetual indignation gets tiresome for the public. The right-wing made the same mistake when Chaz Bono was on "Dancing." Some fights are just not worth the PR cost.

Incidentally, I once corresponded with someone on the internet whose handle was something like "flamingfag." I addressed his as "Sir" and told him that I refused to call anyone a "fag."

The mayor, whatever her politics, should realize that it's not 1977 anymore.

Posted by: Mary | Dec 5, 2011 4:29:46 PM

14. Kiwi, I want to thank you for pointing out the difference between the way LGBT people use "queer" and the way they use "gay" because I really thought the two terms were synonymous - seriously. I can see the use of "queer" by gay people as a tool for self-empowerment, but my own view is that this is probably akin to black people using the N word and then calling it racist when whites use it. They have a point philosophically about whey they are only they are entitled to the use of the word, but the real world doesn't operate this way. The way the use of the n word only encourages racist whites, the use of "queer" by gay people makes it harder to stigmatize homophobia among straight people.

Most people aren't interested in fine distinctions like this even when they're morally valid. Langague is very hard to police.

Trying to be helpful here.

Posted by: Mary | Dec 5, 2011 4:44:37 PM

15. Message sent:

"Greetings.

Now that us "queers" can get married here in Canada (since 2005; it's old news hun), I think I'll respect your (and Troy's) irrelevant god-fearing views by never crossing the border anywhere near your town ever again. In fact, I think I'll pass on the advice to my family and friends as well, and suggest they avoid doing any business there.

If your behaviour resembles that of a delinquent gay-basher from some backwater high school, I imagine the populace that elected you must not be any better. Goodness knows what kind of violent attention my partner and I might garner from your denizens, walking hand-in-hand down the street, an activity I'm sure many heterosexuals living in Troy are privileged enough to enjoy unimpeded on a daily basis.

Regards,

Dan

P.S. It's not the word that matters, it's the way it's used."

Posted by: Dan | Dec 5, 2011 6:44:18 PM

16. The street is actually Big Beaver Rd. The closest exit off of I-75 to City Hall is Exit 69 - Big Beaver Rd.

Oh, I loved living off that exit as a child.

Posted by: Jason | Dec 5, 2011 7:03:13 PM

17. Webmaster: Please read and clean up these comments. There's at least one death threat. (Her comment was exceptionally offensive, and I hope she is hounded out of office as a result, but a death threat is of course not OK. I wouldn't be surprised if the death threat is a fake post from a non-supporter of LGBT equality.)

Posted by: to towleroad webmaster | Dec 5, 2011 7:18:57 PM

18. No, Mary, her comments on marriage are offensive, too. She doesn't believe gay people are equal to straight people -- that's offensive.

Posted by: wvt | Dec 5, 2011 7:21:58 PM

19. OMG-that hair, makeup and outfit. if ever there was a woman in desperate need of some queer eyes, it's this cindy bimbleina.

Posted by: vwdavy | Dec 6, 2011 12:44:56 AM

20. Well, Troy, it's the holiday season, but you won't be getting any shopping dollars from me. There are plenty of municipalities in this area that DON'T proudly proclaim bigotry.

Posted by: Randy | Dec 6, 2011 6:25:05 AM