Christmas | Michigan | News

Michigan School Removes the Word 'Gay' from 'Deck the Halls' Christmas Carol, Angering Facebook Users

Parker

Dozens of comments have been left on the Facebook page of Traverse City, Michigan's Cherry Knoll Elementary School protesting a music teacher's removal of the word "gay" from Christmas carol classic "Deck the Halls".

It's not even clear how word got out that this was happening, but folks are understandably pissed.

A Slog tipster writes: "Cherry Knoll Elementary School, of which I am an alumna, is removing the word 'gay' from Deck The Halls at the children's Christmas concert. Please bring some attention to this issue! As far as I can find there has been no local press coverage, but you can see outrage from some community members at the school's Facebook page."

UPDATE: The word "gay" has been put back in to the carol.

Watch a report on the incident from UpNorth Live and an interview with Principal Chris Parker (pictured), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Im tired of trying to dredge up outrage over silliness...I guess that means I need to quit reading gay blogs.

Posted by: JWL | Dec 5, 2011 12:36:28 PM

2. I have no idea what the rationale behind the lyrical change, but I remember this happening with my choral music in elementary, middle, and high schools back in the 90s/early 2000s, and it wasn't a discretionary change on the part of my teachers - it was how the lyrics were printed in the music.

Posted by: Elijah | Dec 5, 2011 12:48:58 PM

3. This is what is wrong with our educational system: the "educators" are just plain stupid.

Posted by: Joel | Dec 5, 2011 12:49:19 PM

4. They need to look into this. Seems the bible doesn't think being gay is an abomination worthy of death.

Sorry for the self-promo, but there are links in this post worthy of checking out.

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Dec 5, 2011 12:54:20 PM

5. I read that the word was reinstated, but we'll see if that's confirmed.

This is yet another reminder just how paranoid so many are in this country when it comes to homosexuality and anything gay-related, especially when it comes to children. It's almost laughably ridiculous, but all I can do is shake my head. Let's all let this school know what we think of this decision by leaving a message on their FB page or directly contacting the school here:

Posted by: Francis | Dec 5, 2011 1:01:30 PM

6. That's so gay. :(

Posted by: zeddy | Dec 5, 2011 1:17:08 PM

7. My oldest brother (who is gay), and my two sisters attended Cherry Knoll elementary. Traverse City is a bizarre place lately, with the fundamentalist Christians trying to force their narrow minded views on the rest of the residents.

Posted by: homer | Dec 5, 2011 1:19:16 PM

8. I can't wait until they learn that "Christmas trees" were actually "pagan" in origin. Can't you just imagine them trying to chop down every damn pine tree in Michigan? To top it off, the composers of these Christmas songs were (wait for it!) Jewish: "Winter Wonderland", "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)", "Sleigh Ride", "Let It Snow Let It Snow Let It Snow", "White Christmas", "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer", "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree", "Silver Bells", "I'll Be Home For Christmas", "A Holly Jolly Christmas", and "There's No Place Like Home For the Holidays"...

Posted by: Mark Haile | Dec 5, 2011 1:32:06 PM

9. I wonder if Bill O'Reilly will include this in his annual "War on Christmas" silliness? Somehow I don't think so.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Dec 5, 2011 1:42:13 PM

10. The music teacher in my high school was liberal but briefly considered taking out 'gay' as she was unsure about the political correctness of it. My class assured her that using 'gay' in the song was perfectly fine and changing it wouldn't be true to the original. The guys in the class were especially defensive making sure the song stayed gay ;)

Posted by: ravewulf | Dec 5, 2011 1:55:57 PM

11. First there was "Don't say Gay", now it's "Don't sing Gay" ..What's next???

Posted by: Jay T | Dec 5, 2011 2:38:58 PM

12. Did they remove 'tossed salad' from the cafeteria menu too?

Sorry, feeling juvenile today...but I did have to explain what this means to someone recently.

Posted by: QJ201 | Dec 5, 2011 2:39:56 PM

13. Reminds me of when I went to Liberty University (yeah, I know), and the drama club put on a show of West Side Story. The took out "gay" from "I Feel Pretty" and replaced it with "smart" LOL

Posted by: Jake | Dec 5, 2011 3:00:59 PM

14. Is the theme from "The Flintstones" safe?

Posted by: JohnnyBS | Dec 5, 2011 4:43:46 PM

15. Don we now our "gay" apparel! Fa la la la la la la la la!
    Hell yeah we will! Straight people dress like crap. I'd rather have gay apparel.

Posted by: SpunkyBunks | Dec 5, 2011 4:51:48 PM

16. You have got to be kidding me! And people wonder why there is so much bullying and bigotry in our school systems. It is because the schools are full of teachers who are bigots and bullies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Stace Jones | Dec 5, 2011 6:19:18 PM

17. Done we now our leather harness.

Posted by: MW | Dec 5, 2011 6:40:28 PM

18. Will the dumbassedness (not sure it's a word, but it fits) ever end?

Posted by: LW | Dec 5, 2011 9:44:18 PM

19. I hope this school never attempts a reading of 'Yankee Doodle Dandy'!

Posted by: Madelyn Writer | Dec 6, 2011 1:25:56 PM

20. And next they'll be rewording George M Cohan's "You're a Grand Old Flag" for the "high"-flying language - could it be a hidden reference to reefer?? Bwaaahahahaha!

Nerts. Bring out a dictionary for the poor kiddies and explain that the word "gay" has other, earlier, meanings beyond sexuality - as in happy, bright, joyous - merry, to be seasonal.

Posted by: Floretta | Dec 6, 2011 2:33:25 PM

21. Boy, am I glad my three sons,(One of which is GAY)went through their schooling long before "Political Correctness" became such a necessity in day-to-day speech. In those days, when my gay son's high school principle tried to have sex with him, my son just looked at him and said "Sorry, you are not my type", and walked out of his office.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Dec 6, 2011 5:32:43 PM

22. Does anybody read the dictionary anymore. This is so ignorant and it's coming from people who are educating our children. Makes you wonder where they went to school and how did they get accredited. Very sad.

Posted by: Denise | Dec 6, 2011 5:45:49 PM

23. The first prerequisite before teaching children should be that the teacher is smarter than the child. Probably a strong teacher's union in Michigan. just sayin.......

Posted by: Roger | Dec 6, 2011 9:01:03 PM

24. gay??? we heard this in la ca wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From traverse city mi?? Christmas ,time of the season all songs 100 yr ago are what???? Gay!!!!!!

Posted by: joseph kocevar | Dec 7, 2011 12:11:26 AM

25. He removed it because they couldn't get through a practice run of the song without all the kids breaking out in laughter, not because someone censored it

Posted by: john chapman | Dec 7, 2011 9:12:39 AM