Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News

NBC Nightly News Talks to Gay Soldiers in Afghanistan: VIDEO

Gaysinmilitary

NBC Nightly News marks one year since Obama signed repeal of 'DADT' and reports:

"But the chaos they predicted if openly gay and lesbian soldiers served in close quarters during combat never happened."

("They" = hate group leaders like Tony Perkins still invited as talking heads on MSNBC.)

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. I commend NBC Nightly News on their approach to the story. No negative comments were included for 'balance' (Yes, CNN, I mean you!). Very professional...finally, an adult
    broadcast.

Posted by: chuck | Dec 21, 2011 9:26:52 PM

2. I wouldn't mind so much if they brought on someone for "balance" if the person they brought on to talk had some expertise in sexuality or sexual orientation instead of bringing on people with expertise in religion which is irrelevant. If all they can add to a discussion is that god disapproves of the gays, then they really have nothing to add to the discussion.

Posted by: Tim NC | Dec 21, 2011 9:37:26 PM

3. Only in America can you have a report about such a divisive policy fight without a single word about the near-unanimous opposition of a certain political party...

Posted by: BobN | Dec 21, 2011 9:44:37 PM

4. @Bobn, It's the boy who cried wolf syndrome. Every prediction the Republicans made about the repeal of DADT was incorrect. Majority belief in delusion doesn't make the delusion any less delusional.

Posted by: Scott | Dec 21, 2011 9:57:32 PM

5. Really nice report.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 21, 2011 10:50:53 PM

6. Very nice, very positive. The two women kissing was cool but I'm still waiting for the pilot who lands, jumbs down from his plane and strides forward taking his man in his arms right there on the tarmac in front of the cameras. I bet we'll see it too. Ra!

Posted by: uffda | Dec 21, 2011 11:28:24 PM

7. Great report by NBC - I like how they pointed out there have been no major incidents reported and that even James Amos changed his mind about it. I wish they had mentioned that asshats like Bachmann, Gingrich, and Santorum want to bring back the law but beggers can't be choosers

Posted by: KP | Dec 21, 2011 11:29:35 PM

8. Finally, some dignity and respect in a relatively honest broadcast. Keep it up, NBC!

Posted by: Christophe | Dec 21, 2011 11:31:44 PM

9. And you know, that Brian Williams is kind of a sweetie too, the nicest dude on television.

Posted by: uffda | Dec 22, 2011 2:10:52 AM

10. I keep hoping god will call Tony Perkins home to be with him....soon

Posted by: Kevin thor | Dec 22, 2011 4:34:02 AM

11. PFC Brad Manning is a hero. These people are not. People who enlist in the US armed forces will, sooner or later, be used to murder civilians defending their homelands and will, sooner or later, be subject to harassment, discrimination and violence while on duty.

They will, sooner or later, become the kind of gangsters described so accurately by Major General Smedley Butler, one time Commandant of the USMC and two time recipient of the Medal of Honor. "I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.

In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.
    I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested.

Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Dec 22, 2011 4:35:55 AM

12. I'll bet Fox News did an equally compelling segment.

Posted by: oliver | Dec 22, 2011 4:35:58 AM

13. You will never see two men kissing in the same way you see two women kissing. The liberal mainstream media wouldn't allow it. Liberalism is based on celebrating on the female-female, not the male-male.

The military has apparently put out an instruction that only female personnel are permitted to kiss each other whereas the male personnel must keep their same-sex kisses private.

Posted by: jason | Dec 22, 2011 7:32:42 AM

14. @UFFDA -- I think I saw that in Top Gun.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Dec 22, 2011 7:41:41 AM

15. They call this segment "gays in the military" but where were the male couples? They showed the politically correct female couple but not one single male couple. Poor show.

Posted by: david | Dec 22, 2011 7:42:38 AM

16. This is a great start in the coverage of positive post-DADT life in the US military. Kudos to NBC for putting it on the air and exposing so many viewers to the truth since the repeal became official. Now, if they'd only do similar stories on how including LGBTs in other aspects of American society and institutions, e.g., marriage equality, will do no harm to our society or institutions. In time, LGBT repression will be but a sad, bad memory.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Dec 22, 2011 9:25:43 AM

17. Why don't we work to end the military instead of working to open the doors for gay/lesbian people in the military? That would be a movement I could support.

Posted by: rb | Dec 22, 2011 10:05:01 AM

18. Now that the DADT nonsense is over, I am wondering how many stories like mine will come out of the woodwork.

I served in the US Navy during WW2, and there were six of us (that I knew of) at "Boot Camp". A few "straights" would not shower when any of us did, but the rest "Could Care Less" so long as we paid attention to showering and not staring at them.

Later, as we went our separate ways after Book Camp, some of us kept in contact and did our service without incident.

For whatever reason, no one seemed to care about us as long as we did not try anything we should not have.

After the War, I graduated from college with a degree in what is now called "Electronics", and worked for Military Electronics companies for over 25 years with a Top Secret FBI clearance.

I believe this whole matter of Gays in the Military only mattered to civilian religious nuts; not to the Military itself.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Dec 22, 2011 7:33:08 PM

19. The guys at 1:51 and 2:22 are freaking hot! I would never guess looking at them on the street that they were gay. I guess looks can be deceiving lol

Posted by: Anthony | Dec 23, 2011 12:38:17 AM

20. And the comment by Anthony shows that we are a part of the problem as well.

Posted by: JHR459 | Dec 23, 2011 1:14:40 AM

21. so how much did the decathlete (and andy) get to sell their souls for the BP ad?

Posted by: h | Dec 23, 2011 9:14:16 AM