2012 Election | Brad Pitt | Bradley Manning | Ellen DeGeneres | Iraq | Israel | Newt Gingrich | Science | Supreme Court

BigGayDeal.com

NEWS: Light In A Bottle, Bradley Manning, Newt Gingrich

Lightcoke

Road Camera technology can now keep pace with the speed limit of the universe: Pseudo-photographic technology now exists which shoots quickly enough to chart the course of a burst of light. See the video AFTER THE JUMP ...

Road Would Putin lose a fair election?

Road How Lost ruined TV, and paved the way for Homeland and American Horror Story:

The empty thrills, the ticking clock that never runs down, the pointless twists and turns that are neither motivated nor resolved, all degrade the audience’s palate until all we can taste is blood, all we can see is teenagers in hot pants, all we can hear is flat dialogue and all we can expect at the end of season is a giant, flashing question mark.

Lowe'sCEO Road At Funny Or Die, the CEO of Lowe's comments on the recent flap over the store's pulling of its advertisements from All American Muslim. (If you missed that particular controversy, click here for context.)

Road This is juvenile, stupid, and very NTSFW. But the unexpected denouement made me giggle.

Road Tel Aviv's full of gay cinema.

Road Ellen buys Brad Pitt's old house for $12 million; tries to sell her own for $49 million. Good deal.

Road A soldier's story.

Road Please, no -- let's not say Bradley Manning leaked those files because he's gay.

Road President Gingrich will defy Supreme Court rulings he dislikes:

"I'm fed up with elitist judges" who seek to impose their "radically un-American" views, Gingrich said Saturday in a conference call with reporters.

In recent weeks, the Republican presidential contender has been telling conservative audiences he is determined to expose the myth of "judicial supremacy" and restrain judges to a more limited role in American government. "The courts have become grotesquely dictatorial and far too powerful," he said in Thursday's Iowa debate.

As a historian, Gingrich said he knows President Thomas Jefferson abolished some judgeships, and President Abraham Lincoln made clear he did not accept the Dred Scott decision denying that former slaves could be citizens.

Relying on those precedents, Gingrich said that if he were in the White House, he would not feel compelled to always follow the Supreme Court's decisions on constitutional questions. As an example, he cited the court's 5-4 decision in 2008 that prisoners held by the U.S. at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, had a right to challenge their detention before a judge.

Road I loved him, but it'd be a mistake to cannonize Hitchens:

"If the great effort to remake Iraq as a demilitarized federal and secular democracy should fail or be defeated," [Hitchens wrote], "I shall lose sleep for the rest of my life in reproaching myself for doing too little. But at least I shall have the comfort of not having offered, so far as I can recall, any word or deed that contributed to a defeat." The rest of Hitchens' life turned out to be unjustly circumscribed. But his demilitarized federal and secular democracy is a mirage. More likely a future Iranian client state and Shi'ite stronghold awaits. Those words would not wear well on his headstone.

Road On the other hand, let's, just a little.

Comments

1. I don't know -- I thought season 5 of "Lost" kicked all kinds of ass. But then season 6 came along and . . . it kind of petered out. I don't have the same sort of passionate hatred for the last season and episode as some people, but I do think that it was unfortunate that season 6 was the weakest of the series. That said, though, season 5 often blew my effing mind.

Dammit, now I want to watch it all over again.

Posted by: finkles2000 | Dec 18, 2011 2:40:04 AM

2. I gave up on Lost when it turned into a coma without any apparent end (vegetative state) and didn't even bother to watch or read about the finale. I can't even say when I quit - the last thing I remember was a submarine getting blown up.

Activist politicians like Newt know that the first SCOTUS decision that gets reversed means the end of an independent judiciary. Why would learned women and men bother to get the right decision if they knew they'll be over-turned by an untrained politician? This way lies one-man dictatorship. Advice: If you don't like it, change the constititution; that's why there are amendments.

Hitchens like tens of millions of Americans ignored the most obvious maxim: "Dont' get mad; get even" Besides all the people who were murdered and maimed, it's only been a $1 TRILLION mistake, so far.

Posted by: Hue-Man | Dec 18, 2011 6:45:58 AM

3. You loved him? I despised him with every fiber of my being.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 18, 2011 8:53:08 AM

4. All these months I've read comments here that Bradley Manning commited treason because of his patriotism. Now he saying he did it because he's gay. Wow, I'm so proud!

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 18, 2011 10:13:48 AM

5. I'd guess at this point Manning and his attorney are going to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks. He's going down no matter what, so they're going to find any way they can to get a reduced sentence.

He did the right thing for the wrong reason (spite, as it turned out); I'm not going to demand anyone be a martyr for me, although it would be nice to see someone stand on principle and say Yes, they committed this crime because they crimes they were exposing were orders of magnitude worse.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Dec 18, 2011 10:33:23 AM

6. Why would we shoot a cannon at Hitchens?

Posted by: KevinVT | Dec 18, 2011 10:48:13 AM

7. Reading the article about "Lost" and how it spawned "empty" shows like "American Horror Story," I kept thinking of the saying, "Opinions are like a**holes; everyone has one." In this case, one that has been waxed, bleached, and rubber-banded to death. AHS is about horror, which is all about being manipulated by unexpected thrills. Every twist so far, at least to me, has been explained enough to keep me tuning in for the next thrill. I don't generally watch horror, and shows like "Six Feet Under" and "Mad Men" have always been preferred viewing. But AHS serves a purpose for me - it entertains, and that's enough.

Posted by: TJ | Dec 18, 2011 11:41:11 AM

8. The critique of Lost and its supposed children lacks the nuance that it accuses those shows of lacking. It calls for a cookie-cutter approach to TV, with shows answering all the questions they raise. Who cares, as long as something is entertaining? I find American Horror Story to be the most engaging show in years. I don't need to have every plot point wrapped up in a neat little box.

Bradley Manning's problem is that he's immature. That doesn't excuse the government's abuse of him, but more than 1 million other government employees had access to the "secrets" that he leaked. He's being prosecuted as an example, not because he actually achieved any nefarious aims.

There will never, ever be a President Gingrich. But I still think it would be great if he became the GOP candidate, because there is absolutely no way that he could win.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 18, 2011 11:48:11 AM

9. I love Homeland and American Horror Story but I fail to see any similarities in the shows. They are both very entertaining and having some queen tell me that Ive been numbed into ignorant submission into liking them is not going to change that, but thanks for your useful opinion. Also, Christopher Hitchens doesnt give a s*it what you do about him now that he's dead, but canonization would definitely not be something hed be on for.

Posted by: JWL | Dec 18, 2011 12:10:25 PM

10. Lost was boring from the moment it started. Once Upon a Time is actually a great show.

Manning has been tortured which is a far worse crime against America and her citizens than anything he did. And yeah, when you make people into second class citizens and threaten their careers every single day they may not be the most loyal to the overclass of heterosexuals. Maybe we will all learn something from this. But alas no it is so much more satisfying to have moral outrage against Manning.

Newt is the new Republican: Angry, entitled, blames everything on someone else, while lacking in personal discipline. Of course he wants to be a dictator.

Posted by: Joey | Dec 18, 2011 12:22:16 PM

11. "Why would we shoot a cannon at Hitchens?"

To put a big hole in his bloated corpse.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 18, 2011 12:49:36 PM

12. I have been reading in other sources that Manning may be transgender. And I have posted below the reasons Manning leaked.

The turning point for Manning apparently came when he was ordered to investigate the arrest of Iraqis for the distribution of "anti Iraq" literature by the Iraqi Federal Police. When Manning discovered that the literature in question was a "benign political critique" of Iraq Prime Minister Al-Maliki, Manning reported the incident to Army superiors who told Manning "to shut up." Manning apparently then began to leak classified materials in an effort to "do the right thing." The materials Manning leaked apparently included a video of a 2007 U.S. Army helicopter attack in Baghdad that killed a number of civilians.

Posted by: Joey | Dec 18, 2011 1:14:50 PM

13. Manning committed treason. Period. Bub-bye.

Posted by: 99% | Dec 18, 2011 1:44:07 PM

14. I never even heard of "All American Muslim" until Muslims started attacking Lowe's. But the fake outrage won't save the show's flailing ratings. At the end of the day, it's just another "reality" show. I'm bored already.

Posted by: Max | Dec 18, 2011 1:56:10 PM

15. really appreciate YOU — thanks a lot!

Posted by: red bull hats | Dec 19, 2011 1:25:42 AM