Newt Gingrich Bows Down to Iowa Anti-Gay Group ‘The Family Leader’

Thrice-married adulterer Newt Gingrich has written to The Family Leader, Iowa's leading anti-gay group, in support of its Marriage Vow, which Bachmann, Perry, and Santorum have already signed.

Familyleader_newtGingrich's response to the group comes in the form of a promise to "strengthen and defend" family by defending the unborn, religious liberty, the right of the people to rule themselves, and defend against debt.

He also says he'll defend marriage:

"As President, I will vigorously enforce the Defense of Marriage Act, which was enacted under my leadership as Speaker of the House, and ensure compliance with its provisions, especially in the military. I will also aggressively defend the constitutionality of DOMA in federal and state courts. I will support sending a federal constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman to the states for ratification. I will also oppose any judicial, bureaucratic, or legislative effort to define marriage in any manner other than as between one man and one woman. I will support all efforts to reform promptly any uneconomic or anti-marriage aspects of welfare and tax policy. I also pledge to uphold the institution of marriage through personal fidelity to my spouse and respect for the marital bonds of others."

Bob Vander Plaats is pleased with Newt's promises. The group has yet to endorse a candidate.

(via think progress lgbt)

Comments

1. bobbyjoe says

I wish the ghost of Newt’s wife would hurry up and enact horrific vengeance from beyond the grave on this miserable excuse for a human being.

2. Mary says

OK, folks, lets have some fun here. Fill in the blanks – Newt Gingrich promising up “uphold marrige” is like _______ promising to ________”

The possibilities are endless, right?

3. Gay American says

The possibilities are endless, right?

..its like – the Sun promising NOT to Burn.

4. Jeffrey in St. Louis says

“…and respect for the marital bonds of others.”

I don’t imagine that includes the legal marital bonds of lesbian and gay couples.

5. Dan says

“I also pledge to uphold the institution of marriage through personal fidelity to my spouse and respect for the marital bonds of others.” (Until I move onto my fourth wife)

what a loser…

6. BobN says

I hope his promise make extra-double-sure that DOMA is obeyed when it comes to the spouses of our military dead gets wide coverage in the military press and TV.

7. Jeff K. says

If there is a god, the posting of this comment will cause this ugly excuse of a man to have a fatal aneurism.

*crosses fingers and clicks Post…*

8. DeeperStill says

Whenever I hear one of these haters say “As President…”, I just can’t stop laughing. Comedy Gold!

9. says

lol. If that is what family means to the average Republican no wonder they are all miserable. If your savior is Gingrich you have no room to condemn anyone for family values.

10. Robert says

Not a hard pledge to keep as one gets older, and plumper. We have only to fear a buff even more energetic Gingrich … may he continue to clog his arteries if they are, start clogging them if they aren’t.