Comments

1. Paul R says

I would hardly say that Pyongyang is overwhelmed with grief. That’s a few hundred people at the very most, and they were probably planted, forced, and/or bribed to appear sad.

2. Andalusian Dog says

Caption: “We just want Paula back on American Idol? WHY WON’T SHE COME BACK?!”

Caption 2: “I can’t believe our unhealthy, fat, post-stroke, 69-year-old Fearless Leader would EVER die! NO!”

Caption 3: “I can’t believe it’s NOT BUTTER! WHY, Fearless Leader, WHY?!”

3. Ryan says

Why do you feel it necessary to be so cynical right now? Kim Jong-il was a bad person, but there’s no reason to ridicule the grieving process of these innocents.

4. RyanInSacto says

For those wanting some context for this bizarre display of mourning, National Geographic did a pretty great documentary called Inside North Korea. It gives a rare look at the cult of personality that surrounded Kim Jong-Il. It’s on Netflix and YouTube.

5. Gregoire says

Um, nobody in the planet will miss this evil dictator. Those are planted mourners or people that have drank deep the kool-aid of his monstrous political cult. This video is HILARIOUS.

6. pedro says

These people are living in a cocoon where they have been brainwashed from birth, they have zero grasp of reality through no fault of their own…Their God is dead!!!

7. Hunter says

Also,
    One of Kim Jong Il’s sons is reportedly gay – I believe his name is Kim Jong Chul. There are rumours that he was passed over for the power succession in favor of Kim Jong Un becuase the former was thought to be too “soft” to effectively lead the nation.

8. Steve says

This is very easily believable. Just like other communist dictatorships such as under Stalin or Mao, they have been indoctrinated all their lives to literally worship the Dear Leader – only much more so. It’s an ersatz religion. The most extreme form of a personality cult that ever existed. There are shrines to the guy all over the place

9. AJSuffolk says

What is clearly most interesting, NOT ONE TISSUE, NOT ONE TEAR BEING WIPED AWAY!!! Anyone can “Wail” and beat the Ground, Beat their chests, Scream!!! But forcing Tears that’s a whole new game….

10. Dearcomrade says

Their commie Pope died, How touching. The mourners were probably promised a 1/2 cup of rice and a handful of grass to eat. Well time for me to hit Starbucks!

11. RyanInSacto says

@Alan: In what way does this resemble OWS? Has weeping and crying been part of an OWS demonstration? If so, I missed it. Please, post a link to pictures so that we can compare them. Thx.

12. jack says

These people deserve exactly the kind of government that they have.One man doesn’t make a dictatorship; the complicity of the masses does.Are they serious in their tears or are they just cowards?

13. Keithy says

Zeddy – I don’t feel superior to these people, but I feel luckier than them. My “dear leader” won’t have me killed if I say that I disapprove of him.