2012 Election | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Iowa | Military | News | Republican Party | Rick Perry

BigGayDeal.com

Rick Perry Confronted by 14-Year-Old Bisexual Girl About Views on Gays in the Military: VIDEO

Perrygirl

Rick Perry was confronted by a teen girl after a town hall in Decorah, Iowa yesterday, about his views on gays in the military.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

ABC News reports:

“I just want to know why you’re so opposed to gays serving openly in the military, why you want to deny them that freedom when they’re fighting and dying for your right to run for president,” Rebecka Green, a high school student from Decorah, asked the Texas governor.

“Here’s my issue. This is about my faith, and I happen to think, you know, there are a whole hosts of sins. Homosexuality being one of them, and I’m a sinner and so I’m not going to be the first one to throw a stone,” Perry said. “I don’t agree that openly gays should be serving in the military. ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ was working and my position is just like I told a guy yesterday, he said, ‘How would you feel if one of your children was gay?’ I said I’d feel the same way. I hate the sin, but I love the sinner, but having them openly serve in the military, I happen to think as a commander in chief of some 20,000 plus people in the military is not good public policy, and this president was forced by his base to change that policy and I don’t think it was good policy, and I don’t think people in the military thought it was good policy.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Green later told ABC News she disagrees with Perry: “I’m openly bisexual and I don’t want to be told that if I wanted to serve in the military that I couldn’t, and I just think that policy is completely ridiculous that he thinks that. I just don’t like it. Him or nobody should be able to tell somebody who they can or can’t love.”

Comments

1. What's he referring to with the 20,000 plus people in the military? The number of gays?

I wouldn't care if he was extremely liberal; this guy is a complete numbskull.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 19, 2011 9:21:12 AM

2. 20,000 plus people in the military? There are 1.4 MILLION people serving our country. Yet again showing how absolutely moronic this person is.

He says that everyone is a sinner, and he doesn't want to cast the first stone. But isn't that EXACTLY what he's doing by targeting only gay people for discrimination? If everyone is a sinner, then no one should be able to serve in the military based on his warped logic.

Posted by: David in Houston | Dec 19, 2011 9:23:06 AM

3. Right on David. Lil' Ricky is doing what so many all-knowing Christians who claim "we're all sinners" do: ranking sins. Last time I checked, that was playing God...and I think if there is one, He wouldn't be too cool with that.

Posted by: KP | Dec 19, 2011 9:43:29 AM

4. Well, to be fair, he did say "20,000 plus" which I guess could technically include 1.4 million. Uh... Ok, that's the best impression I can do of someone defending Rick Perry. The man is a fountain of ignorance.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Dec 19, 2011 10:12:21 AM

5. I'd like to say he can't possibly be that f**kin st*pid, but unfortunately, I know better.

Posted by: Danny | Dec 19, 2011 10:12:47 AM

6. He is a sinner? Does this mean he is gay? Don't ask, don't tell was working? Is it working for him?????

Posted by: David C. | Dec 19, 2011 10:22:36 AM

7. He disapproves of allowing sinners in the military?

Does that, then apply to anyone who doesn't accept Jesus as their personal savior? Divorced people? Shellfish eaters?

Seriously, does he feel Jews shouldn't be allowed to serve?

Posted by: Lymis | Dec 19, 2011 10:33:53 AM

8. Rick Perry is a future troll. Time for him to crawl under a rock and stay there. Too many rumors of his sexual escapades have surfaced. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Posted by: Abel | Dec 19, 2011 10:40:02 AM

9. I hate when people say "Hate the sin, not the sinner". So they don't hate me as a person, just everything that defines me as a gay man. Lovely.

Posted by: KP | Dec 19, 2011 10:47:08 AM

10. I'd take time commenting on this jerk if he had a snowballs chance in hell of winning... so I'll just way pass.

Posted by: Jim | Dec 19, 2011 11:57:29 AM

11. When Perry mentions the 20,000 figure, I think he is referring to the Texas military forces under the command of the Governor of Texas. I'm not sure of their numbers, but 20,000+ would be a good ballpark figure for the Texas Army Natl Guard, Air Natl Guard and State Guard.

The State Guard is not a federally recognized unit, so I wonder what standing the DADT repeal had on it. The Army and Air National Guard are both covered by the repeal and LGBT's can now serve openly there, but until now I never considered the State Guard is separate and Perry could still legally enforce a DADT policy upon it. Might be worth checking into.

Posted by: Craig | Dec 19, 2011 11:59:15 AM

12. Wow! How can a governor of a state be so ignorant and dumb?

Posted by: Mel Smith | Dec 19, 2011 1:14:57 PM

13. any LGBT Person who accepts "Love the sinner hate the sin" is a cowardly little wimp with no spine.

kudos to this young woman for her integrity.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 19, 2011 3:45:09 PM

14. If he wants gay people to not ask and not tell, wouldn't it be fair to ask everyone in the military not to disclose or discuss their personal religious views? Religion makes some people uncomfortable and may offend.
    What an idiot. It's always the closet gays that take such hard lines.......

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 19, 2011 4:29:55 PM

15. They have a special spot in hell for this idiot

Posted by: jaragon | Dec 19, 2011 4:49:58 PM

16. Forget Perry, who is the hot guy with the beard and holding the mic?? Very nice!

Posted by: Rick | Dec 19, 2011 6:44:19 PM

17. With the notable exception of Ron Paul, it's really hard to tell who the Republican candidates for president hate most: Muslims, Arabs or gays?

Posted by: Robert | Dec 20, 2011 12:07:05 AM

18. I am gay and i enlisted in the USN and served as a radar operator on a Destroyer. I was honorably discharged at the end of my enlistment and am proud of my service to my country. I would never vote for a republican because they do not respect me as a full human being deserving the same rights and responsibilities that they have.

Posted by: jack | Dec 20, 2011 1:56:16 AM