2012 Election | Gay Rights | Iowa | Rick Perry | Supreme Court | Texas

BigGayDeal.com

Rick Perry: What's Lawrence v. Texas?

PerryConusedOne day in the not-too-distant future, Rick Perry will disappear from the pages of the nation's newspapers forever. Unfortunately for him, that day has yet to arrive, and the Texan governor still has at least a few weeks in which to embarass himself on the record.

At a meet and greet today in Cedar Falls, IA, Gov. Perry was asked by a voter to "defend his criticism of limited government" in the Supreme Court case of Lawrence v. Texas -- the case which, in 2003, resulted in Texas's anti-sodomy law being struck down as unconstitutional. Perry was Texas's governor at the time. According to ABC News:

“I wish I could tell you I knew every Supreme Court case. I don’t, I’m not even going to try to go through every Supreme Court case, that would be — I’m not a lawyer,” Perry said at the Blue Strawberry Coffee Shop here. “We can sit here and you know play I gotcha questions on what about this Supreme Court case or whatever, but let me tell you, you know and I know that the problem in this country is spending in Washington, D.C., it’s not some Supreme Court case.”

Maybe so. But seeing as Perry referenced the case in his most recent book, and seeing how Perry is trying to portray himself as the most stridently "pro-family," anti-gay candidate in the Republican field, he ought at least to behave as though he's been paying attention to the culture wars. You can bet Rick Santorum knows about Lawrence v. Texas.

ABC continues:

Asked by Ken Herman, a columnist with the Austin American Statesman, for clarification on whether he knew what the case concerned, Perry responded, “I’m not taking the bar exam…I don’t know what a lot of legal cases involve.”

When told that the Supreme Court case struck down the Texas sodomy law, Perry said, “My position on traditional marriage is clear and I don’t know need a law. I don’t need a federal law case to explain it to me.”

Comments

1. I like Dumber than Dirt!

Posted by: Tim | Dec 30, 2011 12:02:29 AM

2. This man is unbelievably stupid, and shameless about it as well. Any normal person would embarrassed to even leave their house in the morning with head that empty. How do people like Perry stay alive? What stops them from just walking into downtown traffic, or off a cliff? How did he ever manage to fly a plane without wondering aimlessly into a spinning propeller? What is even more totally amazing to me is that people actually vote them into office! Just wow!

Posted by: RWG | Dec 30, 2011 12:16:00 AM

3. What FAGGOT said. Very thoughtful.

Posted by: Gigi | Dec 30, 2011 12:37:01 AM

4. MLB enthusiast is often more eloquent in comparison with some other sort of video game, given that very much arises thus swiftly now eventually.

Posted by: Cheap NHL Jerseys | Dec 30, 2011 1:20:40 AM

5. Rick Perry is as dumb as a brick.

Posted by: jack | Dec 30, 2011 1:32:27 AM

6. "Dumber than dirt" seems somehow too clean. How about "murkier than muck" or "slimmer than sludge?" Or how about a contest to find the ultimate characterization of one of the scariest, stupidest, sorriest excuses for a leader of men to ever draw breath?

Posted by: TJ | Dec 30, 2011 2:33:15 AM

7. Thanks to their most brilliant representatives that they voted for, no one is ever going to think highly of Texas for some time to come.
    I really do wish they would succeed already. At first I thought it was treasonous to the nation, but seeing how their over the top screw-reality-my-ego-and-wallet-is-bigger logic that comes form that state I could care less if they participate in this country anymore. Nothing but poison.

Posted by: chris | Dec 30, 2011 7:21:24 AM

8. @Chris, I like your comment but you don't want Texas to succeed. Secede. And you couldn't care less.

Posted by: Anon | Dec 30, 2011 7:58:32 AM

9. Note to journalists: All questions to Rick Perry should require him to list three things.

It makes the work of comedy writers SO much easier!

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 30, 2011 11:09:19 AM

10. These low information republicans running for the presidency make the country a total laughing stock. None are qualified and none have much intellect, not even that other loose cannon hypocrite Gingrich.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Dec 30, 2011 11:53:43 AM

11. Wait, wasn't Rick Perry one of the two guys doing it when the cops busted in?

Posted by: kenneth | Dec 30, 2011 1:22:55 PM

12. He is just another example of how very Very VERY lowwwww the GOP is allowing the barrel to be pried apart & boiled for candidate fodder.
    He's known to be a Good Little WHORE in Texas & little more than another clown in the Circus Maximus that is Austin & the "lege".
    See Molly Ivins or any number of Natives [like me] who've witnessed the atrocities flowing from Sodom on the Colorado.
    01.2012 Vanity Fair article helps with defining him, btw...

Posted by: Rev. William D. Wilkerson | Dec 31, 2011 12:38:50 PM

13. Perry has done at least one thing most thought impossible, he makes W look smart. His presidential campaign has been such a disaster that he might not even be re-electable as governor.

Posted by: Jay G. | Dec 31, 2011 1:46:55 PM