Adele | Music | Music Video | News

Check Out This Stunning Gay Interpretation of 'Set Fire to the Rain' Featuring an Adele Look-Alike: VIDEO

Setfire

Director Andrew Vallentine just posted this interpretation of Adele's "Set Fire to the Rain" featuring Michelle Meredith, a dead ringer for Adele.

Vallentine writes: "The music video portrays a man struggling with his sexuality, while the girl in love with him fights to hold on as everything she thought she knew comes crashing down before her. The song speaks of a foolish love that's so hard to let go. This theme is not uncommon, most of us have been subjected to this type of unrequited love in some way, shape, or form. Whether gay or straight, single or taken, if you have not experienced this kind of pain, consider yourself one of the lucky ones."

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Why is it the man who is always "struggling with his sexuality"? I hate the way male-male sexuality is portrayed thus. It reinforces negativity about our relationships.

How about celebrating our sexuality for a change?

Posted by: jason | Dec 5, 2011 4:13:01 PM

2. Hear hear, Jason/Rick. Your voice is always the most celebratory on any topic on this site!

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 5, 2011 4:14:51 PM

3. I, for one, thought it was lovely.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 5, 2011 4:19:55 PM

4. I believe that we in the gay male community are responsible for a lot of the negativity that surrounds our relationships. Bizarrely, we tend to latch onto anything that has "gay" attached to it, even if it's negative. Exercise some discretion, guys.

All this talk about "struggling with our sexuality" simply reinforces the negative. Don't let the media depict our sexuality as a struggle all the time.

Notice how the media always portrays the male side of homosexuality as a struggle but the female side as glamorous and positive. It's the old double standard again. Don't fall for it.

Posted by: jason | Dec 5, 2011 4:36:35 PM

5. Yes, this independent video was created by "The Media," an Illuminati-esque organization bent on denigrating gay males.

We're on to you, The Media!

Posted by: Mike | Dec 5, 2011 4:42:33 PM

6. Agree - my husband and I certainly don't struggle with our homosexuality - we are greatful for it! Great song, tho'.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Dec 5, 2011 4:43:50 PM

7. The celebration of our sexuality will never be reality as long as the morality police teach the class from the pulpit!

Posted by: Michael | Dec 5, 2011 4:47:48 PM

8. "Why is it the man who is always "struggling with his sexuality"? I hate the way male-male sexuality is portrayed thus. It reinforces negativity about our relationships."

Care to elucidate? I'm having a hard time figuring out your "thus". What did you think the music video was about?

Posted by: Bobsyouruncle | Dec 5, 2011 5:07:14 PM

9. I didn't necessarily see a "struggle with sexuality" here so much as a classic love triangle, with a bisexual man at its center. He's in the unenviable position of loving two people, they simply happen to be of different genders.

Posted by: josh | Dec 5, 2011 6:04:17 PM

10. First -- way to go Josh for cutting through the gay persecution crap.

Second -- the choreography is pedantic and looks like a class project

Third -- I don't understand the look alike lip-syncing thing.

Posted by: Alan | Dec 5, 2011 6:45:41 PM

11. This made me realize Adele is in a chair 90% of the time.

GaGa and Adele should do a remake of What Ever Happened To Baby Jane, "but ya' are Adele, ya' are in that chair!"

Posted by: Thomas | Dec 5, 2011 6:55:15 PM

12. Pauline Kael once critiqued "The Philadelphia Story" thusly: "This is a fake diamond that has more flash and sparkle than a real one." I feel the same way about this video--it may be a "counterfeit," but DAMN it's impressive.

Posted by: Dback | Dec 5, 2011 8:08:47 PM

13. I don't understand the disregard for the "struggle" as has been stated here.

Jason, et al, I am happy that you are currently comfortable with your sexuality. However, I am willing to bet you were not always so settled. As are many people. Acceptance is still a struggle, both self acceptance and societal.

Alan, I think the video was amazing. I love Adele, and the video *was* a "class project" shot at Michigan State University DMAT.

Posted by: theotherlee | Dec 5, 2011 10:57:43 PM

14. This video makes me think we should have a webby award for "best celebrity impersonation." I swear, this girl has the complete look and vibe of Adele -- and her lip syncing was spot on.

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 6, 2011 12:32:00 AM

15. While the idea was nice the dancers and choreography are just not good.

Posted by: Chester | Dec 6, 2011 6:48:53 AM

16. LOL @Thomas

Posted by: aneas t. | Dec 6, 2011 12:20:07 PM

17. hoaaaaaarable.

Posted by: madonna | Dec 6, 2011 6:47:18 PM

18. I love Miss Adkin but Why this music?...I didnt understand nothing!

Posted by: Sev Moab | Dec 6, 2011 8:21:29 PM

19. Michelle Meredith does an excellent double for Adele but she is a bit heavier than the original. Another astonishing double is for Angelina Jolie, Spaniard Lina Sands as you can see at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT432U8BjAk&feature=player_embedded

Posted by: Johnny | Sep 12, 2012 10:55:10 PM