A 'Smash' Hit? VIDEO

Smash

Debra Messing, Anjelica Huston, former American Idol contestant Katherine McPhee, Broadway, Kate Clinton, and Steven Spielberg are just a few of the names involved in the forthcoming NBC drama Smash, which I posted about back in May.

The show's drama revolves around the mounting of a Broadway musical, and NBC has just put out a seven-minute promo on the show featuring footage and interviews with the cast and producers. It appears to be shaping up as a must-watch.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Smash2

Comments

1. YES!

Posted by: Some Gay Dude | Dec 26, 2011 7:06:40 PM

2. Saw the screener like 6 months ago and thought it was great. I love Debra Messing.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Dec 26, 2011 7:30:35 PM

3. A grown up version of Glee. Reserving judgement passed that.

Posted by: Cole | Dec 26, 2011 7:34:57 PM

4. I always imagined that Katherine McPhee would end up doing Serta Perfect Sleeper Mattress commercials. She seems perfectly suited for that.

Posted by: Gary | Dec 26, 2011 7:38:39 PM

5. Saw the pilot a few months back and it's amazing. I smell a hit.

Posted by: Lewis Payton | Dec 26, 2011 7:39:08 PM

6. "A Chorus Line' ... for TV?

Your thoughts?

Posted by: Te | Dec 26, 2011 7:41:45 PM

7. Also saw a screener. It is very good. I hope it makes it on NBC. Would have been better when originally was going to air on Showtime.

As far as a "Grown up version of Glee." There is no comparison other then they both have singing.

Posted by: Kevin | Dec 26, 2011 7:44:21 PM

8. A "must-watch"...because we're gay and therefore love musical theater? Sheesh! Outdated stereotyping much?

Posted by: Steven | Dec 26, 2011 7:52:40 PM

9. If this were a documentary, I'd eat it up. I probably still will, but real life would taste better.

Posted by: Jack | Dec 26, 2011 8:10:24 PM

10. OMG!

Is this real? Is this fake? Is this reality TV? Is this reality film? Is this reality fake? Is this fake reality? Is this real fake TV or fake reality film? Is this real fake TV or fake film? Is this reality with fake TV or film? Is this TV with real fake film? Is this film with fake TV? Is this reality with fake TV and fake film?

Enjoy...or not.

Posted by: DALI | Dec 26, 2011 8:50:20 PM

11. Hasn't Debra Messing scorched on everything she's done since Will and Grace? (In fact, hasn't everyone scorched on everything they did after Will and Grace?).

Posted by: TyInTenn | Dec 26, 2011 9:52:31 PM

12. A lot of angles on backstage stories have been done already. A Chorus Line was a new variation when it came out - and well - it can't be new again. Hackneyed conventions have done well before - so good luck. I wish it the best b/c I love theater.

Posted by: mark | Dec 26, 2011 10:02:58 PM

13. Hey -- Kate Clinton!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 26, 2011 10:11:14 PM

14. More like "All That Jazz," TE.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 26, 2011 10:18:27 PM

15. I'm going to get on my big gay horse and say this: I am so effing excited for this show. And I have been for MONTHS.

Posted by: finkles2000 | Dec 26, 2011 10:46:02 PM

16. The producers invited actors from all the Broadway Musicals to a private screening. THey were very excited to have us there. The screening was fantastic and I thought they did a great job keeping it real, for lack of a better term. Many MANY Broadway people involved on both sides of the camera. Theresa Rebeck wrote a great pilot, Michael Meyer handled the direction with an even hand. Scott Whitman and Mark Shaimen (Hairspray, Catch Me if You Can) wrote some fantastic original songs, Josh Bergasse killed it with the choreography, and a very large percentage of the cast have impressive Broadway resumes. Vocals & acting are great, but most of all, they get the process of bringing a show to life. From the first kernel of an idea to the workshop process and onward. I truly do hope you all watch it. I think it represents my community and this Biz of Show very well.

Posted by: Peter | Dec 26, 2011 10:55:57 PM

17. I wonder if they will include the truth that about 75% of the men involved in NY theater are gay? There hasn't been a straight director/choreographer since Bob Fosse.

Posted by: Jim | Dec 27, 2011 1:08:44 AM

18. There are better shows premiering this spring. There are better NBC shows premiering this spring. Why should Smash get special coverage - because of a stereotype on what gay men would like to watch?

Come on, Andy. You can do better.

Posted by: Tyler | Dec 27, 2011 2:15:44 AM

19. I'd watch the pilot but it will be a trick to keep this story fresh. What happens in Episode 5? They're still fighting for the same part? What happens at the end of a season?

Posted by: DC | Dec 27, 2011 3:13:33 AM

20. @TyinTenn: I'd say so. I can't stand Debra Messing, but that's probably because she looks and acts like an awful former roommate. I also can't stand musical theater. Musicals just don't make sense to me.

So, given all the money they're obviously pouring into this, I'll be curious to see if it survives. Given some of the people involved, I'm sure that NBC guaranteed them a certain number of shows. But will most Americans care?

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 27, 2011 3:16:07 AM

21. I have friends involved with this show and I wish them well. But Glee seems so tired and formulaic now and this is obviously a copycat show. I wonder if they missed the opportunity with Smash by delaying the premiere until this winter. We'll see.

Posted by: thunderboltfan | Dec 27, 2011 3:32:39 AM

22. Is that the same room that Beyoncé and her dancers were in for the Love On Top video?

Posted by: Phil | Dec 27, 2011 3:33:33 AM

23. Looks interesting, I really want to watch this. Good story, good actors and Broadway, this story has gay written all over it, if only it would have been about young Marlon Brando.
    So much more potential than awful Glee.

Posted by: Matt26 | Dec 27, 2011 4:00:53 AM

24. Yawn
    And I believe that Steven Spielberg has always had this dream about as much as I believe pigs fly.

Posted by: oliver | Dec 27, 2011 4:32:00 AM

25. If the shows success hinges on the likability of Katherine McPhee, then I don't give it much hope. She has no soul on screen.

Posted by: matt | Dec 27, 2011 7:18:31 AM