2012 Election | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | News | Rick Perry

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Rick Perry Blasts Obama For Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal

Perryveterans

"Tool."

That's the word Rick Perry used to describe President Obama's support for Don't Ask, Don't Tell's repeal. Obama, he said, is "using the military as a political tool to advance his base's position" during a meeting with veterans at the U.S.S. Yorktown yesterday.

Perry's comments of course come after he attacked gay military men and women to win over social conservatives in Iowa.

So, considering that a majority of Americans supported DADT's repeal, who's really the tool here?

Watch Perry's remarks, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "They can stomp your little gay boy a$$ right into the ground, any time they want to. You just remember that, OK?"

And you remember your "Western values", Ricky....you hea'?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 9, 2011 5:11:31 PM

2. Huh. I wonder if "our" Rick is Rick Santorum? Because they sound about the same, full of sh*t.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 9, 2011 5:19:52 PM

3. Poor Ernie. Your whole socio-political paradigm is in the process of being exploded, but you and others like you are so imprisoned by the old paradigm--and apparently so vested emotionally in its continuation--that you don't even realize it.

Men are changing. The male culture is fundamentally changing. And that is the ONLY reason that male homosexuality is beginning to be more acceptable, which, in turn, is the ONLY reason that any progress in the area of "gay rights" is taking place.

Every woman in creation could be in favor of gay rights (not that they are, of course--it is only a hypothetical) and it would not make one iota's worth of difference if men were opposed to it, en masse.

No, it is men who are driving the change we are seeing......and they are not doing it because they suddenly decided to "be nice" to gay boys after all these centuries of not doing so.

What is happening is that they are seeing the foolhardiness of having made themselves so dependent on women--emotionally, socially, and sexually--and realizing that they, themselves, were the cause of that dependence by enforcing a homophobic male culture on each other, which disallowed even the most platonic intimacy between men to develop, an intimacy that is commonplace in many other cultures. The emergence of feminism just demonstrated how foolhardy that dependence was and how self-defeating a homophobic culture was in perpetuating it.

What will come of all this will be a single male culture that eradicates both the gay culture of effeminacy and the straight culture of homophobia, one that frees us all from our oppressive burdens.

But some of you are either too stupid to see the brass ring to be grabbed or too afraid of having to actually be men rather than prissy little pseudo-women to embrace it.

And that is too bad for you.....but it won't impede the rest of us one little bit.

Posted by: Rick | Dec 9, 2011 5:33:21 PM

4. Straight guys who are comfortable in their own body don't worry about gay guys...EVER.
    Straight guys who are insecure in their body/their sexuality TOTALLY FEAR gay guys-especially those who are out,open,honest and proud.
    Closeted guys(like Rick Perry) are finally learning the hard way(pun intended) that they can't have it both ways any longer since they will be outed as the hypocites they really are.

Posted by: SFshawn | Dec 9, 2011 6:13:32 PM

5. Where is the evidence that Kerry is closet case? He is desperate phony who will say anything to get the ignorant religious right vote at least Santorum sounds sincere in his faith base dogma- Kerry is a complete fake and I hope nobody is buying his sorry act.

Posted by: jaragon | Dec 9, 2011 6:31:55 PM

6. omg..."Rick" is back...and oh what a treat!
    I had a discussion...or should I say...I listened to my dad's monologue...last week.
    He made the exact same case as Rick. My dad is 87, straight white heterosexual male. Oh, that's right...he gave me my gay rights...thanks dad...I guess I missed that memo. I haven't seen my "dad" in 26 years and never plan to see him again in this lifetime. I won't suffer fools or as Barney Frank would say...dining room tables.
    Oh, and Rick...thanks for your generosity too...I couldn't have figured this all out without your brilliant reasoning.

Posted by: Paul B. | Dec 9, 2011 7:05:55 PM

7. Oh, Rick, as Barney Frank so aptly put it to a nonsense blatherer: arguing with you is like arguing with a dining room table. When you see life only through a misogynistic lens (god knows what your mother did to you!), you don't really see. We have marriage equality in VT because of a woman, a lesbian at that. Liberal men were also a crucial piece of the progress, but it was a woman who led. She's now on our state Supreme Court. Men aren't telling her what to think or do, honey, she'll be telling them.

The biggest obstacle to gay rights progress continues to be straight Republican men. If they're changing, as you keep insisting based on no evidence except what you're pulling out of your a$$, I'm all for it, but currently the Republican party, which is controlled by, yes, straight (or in Perry's case, undetermined) white men is pulling ever more desperately to the right. They're the dinosaur power base against us. The power base for us, male and female, is progressive Democrats, a handful of old-school conservatives, and young people.

The only men who hate women are insecure men, sad little creatures who attempt to embrace so-called male culture to overcome feelings of inadequacy. Projecting those insecurities onto others, alas, won't make it better for you.

P.S.: Haha, Paul B. I wrote my comment then glanced up and saw you'd made the same BF reference. Here's to dining room tables!

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 9, 2011 7:29:18 PM

8. @Ernie...I've enjoyed your posts on many occasion and always think the're on target.
    So, we're thinking alike as far as "dining room tables" goes...I'm flattered.
    Keep up the good work here, knowing that you have at least one very devoted reader!
    Have you ever figured out what Rick is...species, I mean! I had a couple of reptiles as a kid...that's just my mind associating.

Posted by: Paul B. | Dec 9, 2011 8:11:13 PM

9. Maybe Rick Perry is really feeling conflicted now, and he's acting out a subconscious desire. He must know that he's begging to be outed. Will someone, anyone put this poor man out of his misery and out him? A friend of Geoff Connor? A former chef at the Texas governor's mansion? Anyone? Pretty please with rent boys on it?

Posted by: Artie | Dec 9, 2011 10:27:01 PM

10. @ Rick,

The "straight white men" that you're rambling on about are also the beneficiaries of the end of Christian dominance in our culture, and so they don't have to be oppressed by Christian sexual taboo. You just remember that, Rick, OK? You seem to be going off the deep end by pitting "straight men" and "gay men" against each other. The Christian sexual taboos from the previous century are evaporating, and the benefits are being felt by 100% of the male population. Rick, take a trip to your pharmacist and chill out.

Posted by: Artie | Dec 9, 2011 10:39:14 PM

11. Tre,speaking as someone who considers herself a member of the Religious Right, I can try to answer your question, although not everyone in the RR would give the same exact answer I imagine. I would indeed "turn back the clock" but not all the way. I see no reason for the near-total absence of any recognition of gay people that existed before Stonewall. But for many reasons I wouldn't support an across-the-board "equal means equal" policy either. I would decide gay rights issues on a case by case basis. I would tend to go more liberal on job and housing rights, and somewhat more conservative on most other issues. It's very hard to justify job and housing discrimination as both jobs and housing are necessities, not luxuries.

I'm somewhat torn over the idea of gay couples adopting children. Recently I've started to warm to the idea. But I'm totally opposed to gay marriage or gay civil unions. In general I would try to support as much equality for gays as I felt the culture could afford to give them without damaging itself. I oppose any kind of homophobia and I can't see the point of anti-sodomy laws.

Basically it would be something like what we had in the mid to late 1980's with some minor variations. Gay people would have a subculture but society would take a more relaxed attitude toward them than it did before the 1970's.

Trying to be honest here.

Posted by: Mary | Dec 9, 2011 10:52:09 PM

12. @ Rick,

I've been able to understand the logic behind many of your posts before now, but at this point I'm really trying to understand the exact nature of the stick you've got up your ass. Many straight men are feeling less pussy whipped these days, but those same guys are just fine with fey/fashionista-type gay boys. And that makes sense because why wouldn't they be? Gay boys were not the source of their former oppression, homophobic women were. In stark contrast to open-minded straight guys, you seem to have a grudge against non-macho gay boys. Why? Your attitude is so bizarre in contrast with the very straight guys who are throwing Christian homophobia out the window, and you sure don't see them acting out some illogical grudge against fem gay boys. Maybe you should take your cue from them. I've tried to understand you before, but you're unraveling a bit. Get a grip, Rick.

Posted by: Artie | Dec 9, 2011 10:58:50 PM

13. @ Mary,

Yeah, sweetie, those are all the things you'd do if you were queen of the universe, but you're not, OK. Tone down your routine a bit or those around you will want you to be seen and not heard.

Posted by: Artie | Dec 9, 2011 11:02:59 PM

14. @ Mary,

And by the way, sunshine, where are you going to get this time machine that's going to transport you back to the late 1980s? Your stuck in the 21st century. You want to talk about the "good old days"? Different people would refer to different eras as the good old days. The Age of Pericles or the height of the Roman Empire would be my faves if I had a time machine because maybe I wouldn't have to hear as much of your silly-ass drivel as I do now. Let us know how your time-machine project is going, sweetie.

Posted by: Artie | Dec 9, 2011 11:10:08 PM

15. @ Rick,

You're going to hate me for saying this, but I have to because it's the truth. As I was responding to our female fellow-commenter, Mary, a thought struck me. Your ill will toward fem gay boys reminds me of nothing so much as straight women. If you think about it honestly, it's not straight men these days who dislike non-macho gay boys, it's straight women. I finally see the reason for the similarity between your hostility toward fem gay boys and the hostility of straight women toward them. You and straight women both see non-macho gay boys, especially the ones who aren't an eyesore, as a threat. You're attracted to macho men, and you think that non-macho gay will lure them away from you. Eureka! Now you're free to let go of the hostility. You see how helpful my insight is?

Posted by: Artie | Dec 9, 2011 11:19:54 PM

16. @ Rick,

A misunderstanding of constitutional democracy from your post:

"What will come of all this will be a single male culture that eradicates both the gay culture of effeminacy and the straight culture of homophobia"

Since there is little to no chance that Americans will throw two and a half centuries of constitutional democracy out the window, no one is going to be "eradicated." If you don't like living in a constitutional democracy, you need to check out some third-world dictatorship with concentration camps and everything. Your campaign of "eradication" is just going to make you a laughing stock in a Western democracy. Did you check out the meds at the pharmacy like I told you? If the meds do the trick, give some of them to our female fellow-commenter, Mary. Something tells me she could use them too.

Posted by: Artie | Dec 9, 2011 11:35:38 PM

17. @ Mary,

By the way, have you met Rick? The two of you could whine and moan about pretty gay boys together. You could even start a support group. Here's a motto for your group:

They-stole-my-man-and-it's-no-fair! *&^%$#@#$*!

Posted by: Artie | Dec 9, 2011 11:50:06 PM

18. Artie, my "time machine project" is going nowhere, as you can tell. I just tried to answer your question honestly because you seemed to pose it in seriousness. What I'm trying to show is that not everyone has a pro or anti view of gay rights. Would you rather I be a screaming homophobe claiming that the "the homosexual menace is destroying America?" If you want to get revenge on me just consider the fact that in next year's Republican primary I'll be forced to choose between the socially liberal Mitt Romney and the serial adulterer Newt Gingrich. This is punishment enough.

And for what its worth, I've never gone for macho types - I usually like the nerdy type that often gets mistaken for gay. Ironically! I even have a sort of mini-crush on Dan Savage - no kidding.

Posted by: Mary | Dec 10, 2011 12:02:17 AM

19. @ Rick,

I suggest you take a vacation until you can get the stick out of your ass. I suggest this for one simple, unflattering reason. Your hostility towards non-macho gay boys who are, shall we say, not hard on the eyes has nothing in common with the vast majority of men, gay or straight, and it has everything in common with straight women. Now you don't want to face that analysis on this board, do you?

Posted by: Artie | Dec 10, 2011 12:02:52 AM

20. @ Mary,

Finally, I can see your plight at choosing between Mittens Romney and the divorce addict, Newt Gingrich. Yes, you're quite right, that's punishment enough. My sympathies. You took the wind out of my sails when you said you don't go for the macho type. And I thought you were like Rick: all pissed off at pretty non-macho gay boys because they compete for the attention of macho guys. I shouldn't have projected poor Rick's difficulties onto you.

But being a screaming homophobe is scary? Here is where you might be off-course. No one is afraid of bible-believing Christians these days. They're a joke. Ask your friends and co-workers if you don't believe me. Since I misjudged your attitude toward those pretty gay boys that piss Rick off so much, I'll make it up to you. Here's a little icebreaker to tell your relatives at holiday get-togethers:

Q: Why doesn't Jesus eat M&M candies?
    A: Because they fall through the holes in his hands.

Best wishes for the holidays.

Posted by: Artie | Dec 10, 2011 12:17:22 AM

21. @Rick, last I checked it was a black liberal in the White House that signed away DADT and it was a white woman in the House of Representatives that got the votes to overturn it by a clear majority.

White heterosexual Republicans are the greatest oppressors of equality in America. Example John Beohner, Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, George Bush etc.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Dec 10, 2011 12:24:26 AM

22. Nice brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Posted by: cheap new era snapbacks | Dec 10, 2011 12:47:13 AM

23. really appreciate YOU — thanks a lot!

Posted by: cheap snapback hats | Dec 10, 2011 2:01:58 AM

24. Mary, you make me sick. You are vile. Who the f*ck do you think you are, thinking you can decide what kind of "rights" we deserve? Disgusting, lowlife bigot!

Artie, I love you :)

Posted by: DeeperStill | Dec 10, 2011 3:09:46 AM

25. Irrespective of Rick Perry's homophobia, equality still eludes our gay heroes in uniform. Thanks to DOMA legally married same-sex military spouses are denied health insurance, commissary, housing allowance and other base privileges as compared to their opposite-sex married counterparts. For those interested - http://OUTmilitary.com has been providing a supportive environment for friending, sharing and networking between Gay active military, vets and supporters since December, 2010.

Posted by: Out Military | Dec 10, 2011 9:41:54 AM