Film | James Dean | News

BigGayDeal.com

A Portrait of Gay James Dean: VIDEO

Joshuatree

Back in August 2010 I posted a teaser trailer for a film in production that paints the gay portrait of James Dean. Back then there was just a one-minute teaser. A full-length two and a half minute trailer has been released.

Directed by Matthew Mishory, the film stars James Preston, Dan Glenn, Dalilah Rain, and Edward Singletary, Jr.

No real info on when you might be able to view the film, which has the lengthy title Joshua Tree, 1951: A Portrait of James Dean, but the extendeed trailer retains the first's pretty production values, and pretty actors.

Watch the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Dean

JOSHUA TREE, 1951 Full-Length Trailer from Iconoclastic Features on Vimeo.

Comments

1. Very pretty but really bad acting.

Posted by: AJ | Jan 12, 2012 8:42:42 AM

2. There is no trailer here to view.

Posted by: Jim | Jan 12, 2012 9:06:13 AM

3. Here's the trailer:

Posted by: Chip | Jan 12, 2012 9:12:38 AM

4. Quite terrible acting, but I may still check it out. There was a lot of c*cksucking in Hollywood then and now, so gay for pay is old news. Was Dean gay? I doubt this movie will answer any questions.

Posted by: Jerry | Jan 12, 2012 9:31:17 AM

5. Of course he was gay!

Read "Live Fast, Die Young -- The Wild Ride of the Making of Rebel Without A Cause" by Larry Frascella and Al Weisel for the whole story.

Dean was a leather Top and he and his slave
    Jack Simmons tried to pick Jack Larson up for a three-way. Jack "Suerman's pal Jimmy Olson, and the producer of such films as "The China Syndrome" and Mike's Murder") freaked out and turned them down -- to the annoyance of his pal, poet Frank O'Hara (who wrtoe many poems in tribute to Dean.)

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 12, 2012 9:38:01 AM

6. Looks gorgeous (big Dean fan), and the production design, music, clothes, cinematography etc. are unimpeachable. What I'm not getting is why this is necessary, when James Franco did revelatory work in the TV movie about Dean back in the 90's.

Posted by: Dback | Jan 12, 2012 10:28:36 AM

7. I somehow doubt this movie will delve into B&D.

Posted by: anon | Jan 12, 2012 11:42:12 AM

8. Quite the detail showing in the float picture.

Posted by: Bruce | Jan 12, 2012 11:44:52 AM

9. Can't wait for this. Love the guy playing the "friend" and that line at the end. Pretty much defines the allure of Dean.

Posted by: Jillian M | Jan 12, 2012 12:14:16 PM

10. omg Omg OMG!!! Finally a movie like this. Only taken 57 years. Hollywood is still really conservative, so I have no idea how they got this made.

@David Ehrenstein: Interesting post, but from all the dish I've read (three accounts by men who slept with Dean), he was mostly a bottom. Uncut, too.

Posted by: 40sglamourgay | Jan 12, 2012 12:19:21 PM

11. OK, this is completely beside the point, but the book he's reading in the second picture is upside-down - I know, I should've been looking at his package...

Posted by: johnnzboy | Jan 12, 2012 1:10:37 PM

12. Love this James Preston: masc, sexy, cool. Sure beats James Franco phoning it in on TBS with a horrible accent.

Posted by: jakey_poo | Jan 12, 2012 1:16:55 PM

13. A Leather Top can still be a Power Bottom.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 12, 2012 2:10:26 PM

14. Yo, Ehrenstein! I was watching "Making The Boys" with some buddies a few days ago. Well done, you!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 12, 2012 2:18:42 PM

15. Actually, I seem to recall hearing at the time (yes, I'm THAT old) that Dean was cut, had a lovely mushroom head, and was quite the piss bottom. And of course Ehrenstein is right: he was completely queer. This trailer is quite the tease, but I get the sense the movie might deliver what we're all hoping for.

Posted by: deserthotspringswinter | Jan 12, 2012 2:44:46 PM

16. Nice to look at -- but the lead actor not only doesn't look like Jimmy but also captures none of his mannerisms, nothing of his intensity. So what's the point?

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Jan 12, 2012 4:18:12 PM

17. I disagree, JAKEY_POO: I thought Franco did a great job.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Jan 12, 2012 4:21:02 PM

18. I thought the James Franco version has already dealt with the gay Dean- this looks very pretty and obviously a lot more explicit than the tv movie.

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 12, 2012 6:38:20 PM

19. Eh, I hated the Franco version (bland blah boo). Liking the looks of this one, thought. Hot!

Posted by: SAM DOES VEGAS | Jan 12, 2012 8:13:50 PM

20. Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Posted by: Jordan Heels | Jan 12, 2012 10:29:01 PM

21. Merci Kiwi!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 12, 2012 10:48:59 PM

22. I'm with Sam. James Preston seems far more raw and intriguing than Franco's sleepwalking Jimmy. I'm also with Ehrenstein, who is completely correct that Dean was gay and into BDSM. Though, one correction: Jack Simmons was probably the only guy Dead DIDN'T have sex with. Simmons adored and loved Dean, but Dean was a bottom who went for more masculine men than Simmons and never really returned the sexual affection. They were close friends, though. This James Preston is gorgeous -- really looks like him in a certain light, too. Hawt.

Posted by: BillyBoy | Jan 13, 2012 1:23:22 PM

23. Franco's Jimmy Dean was terrible! His acting was so contrived and forced! James Preston seems better but we'll have to wait until the movie to see for sure.

Posted by: Jet | Feb 1, 2012 1:11:13 PM

24. I finally, finally saw this. Best film of the year. The attention to detail is incredible, on the verge of mental illness, like Kubrick. I liked the second lead more than the first, tho.

Posted by: unclejerry | Apr 20, 2013 3:34:58 PM