Comments

1. Jerry says

Quite terrible acting, but I may still check it out. There was a lot of c*cksucking in Hollywood then and now, so gay for pay is old news. Was Dean gay? I doubt this movie will answer any questions.

2. says

Of course he was gay!

Read “Live Fast, Die Young — The Wild Ride of the Making of Rebel Without A Cause” by Larry Frascella and Al Weisel for the whole story.

Dean was a leather Top and he and his slave
    Jack Simmons tried to pick Jack Larson up for a three-way. Jack “Suerman’s pal Jimmy Olson, and the producer of such films as “The China Syndrome” and Mike’s Murder”) freaked out and turned them down — to the annoyance of his pal, poet Frank O’Hara (who wrtoe many poems in tribute to Dean.)

3. Dback says

Looks gorgeous (big Dean fan), and the production design, music, clothes, cinematography etc. are unimpeachable. What I’m not getting is why this is necessary, when James Franco did revelatory work in the TV movie about Dean back in the 90’s.

4. 40sglamourgay says

omg Omg OMG!!! Finally a movie like this. Only taken 57 years. Hollywood is still really conservative, so I have no idea how they got this made.

@David Ehrenstein: Interesting post, but from all the dish I’ve read (three accounts by men who slept with Dean), he was mostly a bottom. Uncut, too.

5. johnnzboy says

OK, this is completely beside the point, but the book he’s reading in the second picture is upside-down – I know, I should’ve been looking at his package…

6. deserthotspringswinter says

Actually, I seem to recall hearing at the time (yes, I’m THAT old) that Dean was cut, had a lovely mushroom head, and was quite the piss bottom. And of course Ehrenstein is right: he was completely queer. This trailer is quite the tease, but I get the sense the movie might deliver what we’re all hoping for.

7. Michael in Toronto says

Nice to look at — but the lead actor not only doesn’t look like Jimmy but also captures none of his mannerisms, nothing of his intensity. So what’s the point?

8. BillyBoy says

I’m with Sam. James Preston seems far more raw and intriguing than Franco’s sleepwalking Jimmy. I’m also with Ehrenstein, who is completely correct that Dean was gay and into BDSM. Though, one correction: Jack Simmons was probably the only guy Dead DIDN’T have sex with. Simmons adored and loved Dean, but Dean was a bottom who went for more masculine men than Simmons and never really returned the sexual affection. They were close friends, though. This James Preston is gorgeous — really looks like him in a certain light, too. Hawt.

9. Jet says

Franco’s Jimmy Dean was terrible! His acting was so contrived and forced! James Preston seems better but we’ll have to wait until the movie to see for sure.

10. unclejerry says

I finally, finally saw this. Best film of the year. The attention to detail is incredible, on the verge of mental illness, like Kubrick. I liked the second lead more than the first, tho.