Alabama | Football (American) | News

Alabama Crimson Tide Fans Celebrate Gay Bashing in T-Shirt Planned for National Championship Win

Homeauxs

Some Alabama Crimson Tide fans are hoping to beat LSU in their national championship game on Monday night so they can sell a T-shirt that also celebrates gay bashing:

Towleroad tipster Tyler writes us: "I wanted to let you guys know about this website that is selling t-shirts for the Alabama-LSU national championship game on January 9, 2012. The shirts are a play on the French language's heritage in Louisiana. As a resident of Alabama and a lifelong Crimson Tide fan, I am highly offended at this hateful display of 'sportsmanship' by fans of the University."

UPDATE: The site selling the shirts, which was registered to Chris Ivey, has gone offline. Hopefully plans to create these shirts have been scrapped altogether.

Comments

1. Hey Tiger Fan: This shirt is about as funny as the guy who poisoned the trees by Toomer's.
    As an Alabamian, a "homeaux", a former Bama student & a lifelong Crimson Tide fan, this disgusts me on many levels.

Posted by: Grady | Jan 4, 2012 11:23:13 AM

2. tiger fan...just a joke? I lost a dear friend because someone beat the hell out of them. For being homo. This is rude and crude. GROW UP PEOPLE. This is not a time in our country for such "jokes". We have a GOP Presidential run that is spewing hatred towards all homosexuals. We do not need to add fuel to the fire.

Posted by: Michael Deselms | Jan 4, 2012 11:37:19 AM

3. That was uncalled for, you can't compare those two things. That was just wrong on so many levels. Toomer's was criminal destruction to property. That's like coming here and poisoning the oaks around campus. Things like that can't just be undone. These ignorant hicks that are trying to print these shirts are protected by law. They can print and say what they want. It's up to the gay community to react or let it go. As much as the gay community thinks they've made progress there's still a long way to go. It's not as socially acceptable as people have come to believe. Otherwise why would shirts like these still be printed?

Posted by: Tiger Fan | Jan 4, 2012 11:39:56 AM

4. I'm a gay male, originally from Tuscaloosa, Alabama and a graduate of the University of Alabama. I love college football and spend each in anticipation of the upcoming game. I have three great uncles who still hold records at the U of A in football. I'm a true fan and a true Southerner
    but I find the shirt extremely offensive and would never wear it or even be with someone who had it on. I would like to think someone from the University but I seriously doubt that will happen. Sucks.

BTW Tiger Fan, The University of Alabama has 13 National Championships and we are known for our gracious behavior towards the majority of rivals. That is one of the reasons there was such an outpouring of support and help from other schools when the tornado devastated my hometown last year.

Posted by: Lance | Jan 4, 2012 11:41:11 AM

5. @Tiger Fan: What if the Crimson Tide fans printed a shirt that said.

"HEY NEGREAUXS. We just lynched you. 24-10"

Is that just trash talkin'?

Posted by: DarwinSF | Jan 4, 2012 11:47:06 AM

6. Here we go with the double whammy of homophobic slurs mixed with a cowardly attempt to shame us into silence.

If your big, tough, manly sports fans can't handle criticism without getting the vapors and coming up with lame defenses that involve trying to shame your critics YOU ARE COWARDS.

If you can't express yourself without attacking disadvantaged minorities, YOU ARE COWARDS.

I'll make a deal with you.
    When you stop being insecure and infantile, we'll stop being thin skinned.

Posted by: JayKingOfGay | Jan 4, 2012 11:49:08 AM

7. I thought contacting paypal and complaining about them facilitating the sale of this hateful stuff was the right way to go. (see above)

Arguing in the comments section is less effective.

Posted by: Fahd | Jan 4, 2012 11:55:47 AM

8. I looked at this site 10 min ago and it was still up and running. It now looks like it has been taken down ??!?

Posted by: Brad | Jan 4, 2012 12:00:33 PM

9. The empowered feminist women at my MCC had a fun little joke in the '80's -- "If we can send one man to the moon, why can't we send them all?"

I showed up with a button that said "If we can burn one witch at the stake, why can't we burn them all?"

It does not take an Alabama grad to guess their reaction. I just don't have a sense of humor.

Posted by: ted | Jan 4, 2012 12:00:47 PM

10. @Tiger Fan. I'm a Auburn graduate in my late 40's with season tickets. I know all about rivalries since the AU/UAT rivalry is the greatest in all of college football. I've come to expect classlessness from the average Bammer fan. Hell, most of them couldn't find the University with a GPS. However, this shirt crosses the line. Teabag Tebow was pointed at one person.

This shirt; however, tries to make LSU feel badly by being called a homo. That is saying we're something to be used as an insult. That's not acceptable.

Now, go try and get the corndog smell out of your clothes before the MNC. :)

Posted by: AU Tiger | Jan 4, 2012 12:15:48 PM

11. The line "We just beat the Hell out of you" is a cheer that is done after every victory. The homeaux portion is offensive but I don't think it is advocating gay bashing. People who portray themselves as being so "enlightened" such as many of the people who comment on this board should look at themselves before painting with such a broad brush and trashing an entire group of people. People should also check their facts...Alabama has elected a female governor in the 1960s--you can question the reasons why she was elected but you can't question the FACT that a female was elected governor.

Posted by: Gary | Jan 4, 2012 12:24:35 PM

12. I'd like to point out to all of you bashing Alabama and the South in general, that we aren't all like that. In fact, there is a thriving gay community and a large base of supporters and allies here. I'm not gay, but I've seen my share of discrimination. Blaming this on it being the state of Alabama is ignorant as well. That's like assuming all people from Africa have AIDS or all people from NYC are jerks. Explaining away ignorance by using ignorance just perpetuates other stereotypes. One of my Fraternity little brothers is gay (actually 2 of 3 are), and I'm flying to Boston this year to go to his wedding - just so you know I'm not defending the state as a bigot.

Posted by: Tripp | Jan 4, 2012 1:01:17 PM

13. @Tiger Fan - Instead of trying to defend your point so vehemently , maybe take this as a moment to learn something. What ‘s not offensive to you may in fact still be offensive :). In the same way that just because you laugh at a joke doesn’t mean it hasn’t crossed the line.

For example:
    Trash Talk: “Your offense is crap!”
    Hate Speech: “Your offense play like F_gs!”

Etc…

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jan 4, 2012 1:05:53 PM

14. Site has been taken down.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 4, 2012 1:33:35 PM

15. I swear, this is why I don't always "identify" as gay, even though I am. Saying that this shirt promotes gay-bashing is taking it WAY to far and grasping at straws. I actually think it's clever and funny. "We just beat the hell out of you" is from the Rammer Jammer cheer that Bama does after every big win. Get over yourselves. This in no way supports gay-bashing.

Posted by: Your Mom | Jan 4, 2012 1:58:26 PM

16. I speak for two Tiger fans and two graduates of LSU, and we both think the shirt is offensive. Even more so now, I hope the Tigers beat the hell out of the Crimson Tide.

Posted by: Grandmère Mimi | Jan 4, 2012 2:08:46 PM

17. I speak for two Tiger fans and two graduates of LSU, and we both think the shirt is offensive. Even more so now, I hope the Tigers beat the hell out of the Crimson Tide.

Posted by: Grandmère Mimi | Jan 4, 2012 2:10:01 PM

18. Sorry about the double post. The site is taken down, but I have a screen capture.

Posted by: Grandmère Mimi | Jan 4, 2012 2:12:46 PM

19. "This in no way supports gay-bashing" - Ha ha ha.

"Hey homo" = absolutely unambiguous insult.

"Your mom": I think you lie.

Does the top leadership, and alumni relations and development departments of the university know about plans for this shirt? What might the world think of a university where something like this is acceptable?

Posted by: Ready to boycott U of Alabama | Jan 4, 2012 2:14:27 PM

20. @Lance. You know y'all don't have 13 National Championships. I was looking at a letter from the Bear this morning (on rivals) showing 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978,1979 as the MNC's.

Y'all had a marketing guy in the 80's decide to go back into the achives and claim championships in which some obscure publication possibly had you ranked # 1.

You have 8 MNC's. Still a hell of a feat, but it isn't 13.

Posted by: AU Tiger | Jan 4, 2012 2:40:30 PM

21. As long as social conservatives fail to condemn the kind of people who create shirts like this and find it humorous they will be tagged as "haters." Since social conservatives cannot advocate true equality for gays in all areas of life, the least they can do is condemn vulgar and insulting displays of prejudice like this shirt. There is nothing in defending Judeo-Christian culture (broadly defined, that is) that requires insulting people. Why is this so hard to say? I mean its not like conservatives have to do something really difficult.....like become regular readers of Towleroad, or something like that!

Posted by: Mary | Jan 4, 2012 2:52:25 PM

22. Dear "Your Mom" & "Tiger Fan":
    Just because YOU don't get it doesn't mean that it doesn't EXIST. How many people need to let you know that:
    a) being called a 'homeaux" and
    b) being told that you just had 'the hell beat out of you'

describes gay bashing. A homo who has been beaten. Do you really really not get it? Is it just that you're so juvenile or such a troll that you think the physical assault of another human being is somehow funny? Are you developmentally delayed, perhaps?

Thin skinned? So...if I'm offended by t-shirts that describe homos getting the hell beat out of them because I'm gay and have seen gay bashing over and over and over and over again it's just because I'm just a FAG, right?

So in a nutshell: you're both a couple of a$$holes who really really need to go f*ck yourselves. Just sayin'. Don't be so thin skinned.

Posted by: wtf | Jan 4, 2012 3:00:06 PM

23. I am offended by this shirt, just like Alabama's Governor Lurleen Wallace and Congresswoman Terri Sewell should be offended that Dback apparently thinks they are not women.

Posted by: Thomasina | Jan 4, 2012 3:05:19 PM

24. Pardon me if I'm missed the nuance here, as I am not a sports fan, but "trash talk" means "insults", no? And what is insulting about the t-shirt? Is it the "we just beat the hell out of you"? I hardly see how that can be an insult. It either happened or it didn't. Reminding someone of a defeat isn't an "insult". It might be a little rude, but it's not demeaning in itself to have lost.

So, that leaves "Hey Homeauxs". If that is the "trash talk", then it has to be an insult. So, what's insulting about it? Why is it an insult to call someone a homo?

There. Any clearer?

Posted by: BobN | Jan 4, 2012 3:34:16 PM

25. I am a Bama grad and a huge Bama football fan. The shirt is wrong no doubt about it. But, as others have said it is more about insulting LSU by calling them gay than being about gay bashing.

The "We just beat the hell out of you" phrase is part of a victory cheer taht we sing after every win.

Of course, that doesn't excuse the insult it just puts it in a different light.

Posted by: JD Swell | Jan 4, 2012 3:45:39 PM