News | Sports | Tennis | Tomas Berdych

BigGayDeal.com

Bad Winner Tomas Berdych Booed Off Court at Australian Open: VIDEO

Berdych

Czech Republic's Tomas Berdych was booed for several minutes following his Australian Open win against Nicolas Almagro after he refused to shake his opponent's hand.

Berdych faces Nadal next. Don't look for the fans to welcome him warmly.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I come to this blog daily to read information I don't find in most other places...if something doesn't particularly interest me I move on...my interests are varried as are Andy's apparently.
    Long live Towleroad!!

Posted by: Jack | Jan 23, 2012 2:05:48 PM

2. What is it with people who don't want to hear stories that are not directly, or indirectly, relevant to LGBT issues?

Maybe some of us gay folks inhabit larger worlds and feel that things are generally relevant to us as human beings, and are interested by those things.

Maybe, for some of us, it is not all about our c*cks, or our gay brains, or that our gay brains are fed by stories that let us know we are part of a bigger picture.

Enlarge your worlds people, before you reduce yourselves to a lab specimen on a microscope slid, and the only way people can see you is to look at you, and your sad little world through a microscope.

Posted by: Ricco | Jan 23, 2012 2:21:10 PM

3. Agree with all the other commenters on here- Andy and the rest of Towleroad writers do an amazing job.

I love the video roundups, humor pieces, and sports and science coverage- because that's who we are- we are not weird robots who only care about "gay causes" or "gay politics." We're real people with lives and jobs and families and interests; in fact, the whole point of LGBT friendly politics and advocacy is to make our own lives and those of our families easier and freer to do the kinds of activities and things we love to do- like sports, and reading, and movies.

This is an awesome blog- and kudos to all the writers and contributors

Posted by: Scott | Jan 23, 2012 3:44:29 PM

4. Hmmmm. What happened to my post?

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jan 23, 2012 6:01:52 PM

5. I think the whole hand-shaking ritual is bizarre and outdated anyway.

Good for him.

Posted by: Randy | Jan 23, 2012 6:37:22 PM

6. Bizarre and outdated? Its very unfortunate if good sportsmanship and acknowledging it publicly by being a gracious winner or loser and shaking your oponents hand after a well fought match is seen as bizarre and outdated. Sad to think that courtesy and grace and respect might be seen as bizarre and outdated. Although considering the world we live in today I suppose there are already enough examples of people who obviously feel that way.

Posted by: OberonOZ | Jan 23, 2012 9:21:35 PM

7. @Say what: Aussies only like underdogs when the said underdog is not playing against their faves like Federer and Clijsters. I remember when Nadal won the AO in '09 beating Federer and about one-third of the crowd looked like Nadal had just killed their puppy.

Wimbledon is probably the only true slam where the underdog spirit exists, the Aussie crowd are mostly a bunch of old people and belligerent drunks.

On Berdych- while his behavior was unsportsmanlike, I prefer that he was honest rather than some of the fake, sour handshakes that are obviously not heart felt that you get.
    Also, for anyone who watches tennis, Almagro himself is a tool, so no sympathies from me here.

Posted by: Bryan | Jan 24, 2012 3:22:13 PM