Gay Marriage | News | Occupy Wall Street | Seattle

Seattle Woman Weds Building, Calls It a Gay Marriage: VIDEO

Seattlebuilding
(image SeattlePI)

In an event that right-wing hate groups like the AFA will likely see as a great victory for their people will start marrying buildings theory, a Seattle woman this weekend "married" a warehouse she said she fell in love with during the Occupy protests and called it a gay wedding.

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

WCTI reports:

Babylonia Aivaz invited the Seattle public to attend what she calls the “gay wedding” to the building [this past] Sunday. The building is an abandoned warehouse that is in the process of being demolished, according to ABC affiliate KOMO. Aivaz hopes to save the space for a community center.

“Yes, I’m in love with a 107 year old building! Yes, ITS A GAY MARRIAGE! How is that possible? Well there must obviously be a deeper story,” Aivaz wrote on her Facebook invitation to the wedding.

In December, Avaiz and 16 others held a protest at the building, circling around the property and linking arms to fight for dedicated community space, according to the report. The warehouse is slated to be demolished and turned into a mixed-use apartment building.

Added Aivaz: “If corporations can have the rights as people, so can buildings. I’m doing this to show the building how much I love it, how much I love community space and how much I love this neighborhood. And I want to stop it from gentrification.”

Check out the slideshow by Lindsay Wasson at the Seattle PI (above photo) HERE.

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

(clip via good as you)

Comments

1. I should get insulted when a pig in a blanket makes slurs about gay relationships? I will save my ire for someone who deserves attention.

Posted by: candideinnc | Jan 30, 2012 9:15:52 AM

2. Same old same old. Some people (around country) bring "the idea" if gays are allowed to marry, soon people marry animals etc.
    She must feel smart and funny. She should feel stupid.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 30, 2012 9:17:23 AM

3. Rick Santorum told us this would happen. How does she know that the building is female? How will she consummate the marriage? If she sells tickets to the consummation she may raise enough money to save that old girl, I mean building.LOL!

Posted by: Jack | Jan 30, 2012 9:20:41 AM

4. Did the building consent? I suspect not. She should be arrested for rape.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jan 30, 2012 9:23:17 AM

5. Okay, lady, we get it, you want to demonstrate that you're committed to the preservation of this public space. Could you maybe consider thinking of a less moronic way of demonstrating that?

Posted by: JD | Jan 30, 2012 9:26:06 AM

6. Totally callous towards a legitimate civil rights issue. By doing this, she's provinding fodder for the Santorums of the world.

Posted by: mike | Jan 30, 2012 9:27:12 AM

7. This is actually helpful. Every time the proposed analogies are made explicit with stunts like this, the more ludicrous they are revealed to be.

Although there is still a long way to go, we are entering a kind of virtuous cycle, where the diminishing voices of opposition are increasingly shrill, desperate, and absurd.

Let 'em ring.

Posted by: Rascal | Jan 30, 2012 9:30:53 AM

8. Please, dear God, let this story just die.

Posted by: 99% | Jan 30, 2012 9:31:19 AM

9. I actually watched a documentary on this last week. They call themselves objective sexuals. They're a very special group of women (no men reported). Here's the documentary if anyone's interested in seeing something benignly bizarre. http://vimeo.com/19783541

Posted by: Iko | Jan 30, 2012 9:32:15 AM

10. This doesn't seem to me to be any kind of attack on same sex marriage, but rather a protest against gentrification policies that uproot and disadvantage poor people. The fact that they called it a gay marriage didn't look like a criticism to me, but rather more like support.

Posted by: Japhet | Jan 30, 2012 9:32:27 AM

11. Well, I for one certainly hope she isn't allowed to marry that building. Good Lord, it'll be dogs next. But seriously - Babylonia?! Tee hee!

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jan 30, 2012 9:49:20 AM

12. I always tell my husband that I gentrified him by marrying him, but he just says stop Babyloneying.

Posted by: Demian | Jan 30, 2012 9:50:26 AM

13. Babylonia Aivaz F*CK YOU~

Posted by: Bosie | Jan 30, 2012 9:55:57 AM

14. Did the building give informed consent to marry?

Didn't think so.

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Jan 30, 2012 10:03:57 AM

15. Neither her or the building are that attractive.
    Looks like a match.

Posted by: RobWest | Jan 30, 2012 10:11:40 AM

16. I don't think her statement is meant to be offensive or against the idea of gay marriage. I think she's just personified the building as female - and the whole marriage thing is about drawing attention to the issue of gentrification.

Meanwhile, the misogynistic comments about this woman's weight, etc. start flying here. Don't you think this deserves a little more research before you all pull out the "fat pig" card?

Posted by: mike128 | Jan 30, 2012 10:15:02 AM

17. I had sex with that building and it's a man, Baby!

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 30, 2012 10:26:48 AM

18. Yes siree, that building got me pregnant. Looks like it knocked up Babylon too.

Posted by: uffda | Jan 30, 2012 10:33:02 AM

19. People are so scared to use the genuine arguments against gay marriage that they have lost their shame in using the pseudo-arguments. A buidling cannot give consent, so there can be no marriage between a human being and a building. This woman is probably aware of this fact. What she's really trying to say is "Now isn't it silly to keep expanding the definition of marriage?" What she forgets is that the argument is based totally on shock value, which quickly wears off. The more people hear of a practice or see it portrayed on TV, the less shocking it seems. Trying to shock people into defending traditional values doesn't work.

Posted by: Mary | Jan 30, 2012 10:42:21 AM

20. objective sexuals that will be added to the lgbtqmatwospirit

Posted by: oousslander | Jan 30, 2012 10:55:36 AM

21. Slightly mental attention whore.

Posted by: Scott C. | Jan 30, 2012 11:08:50 AM

22. I'm going to bet she is a right wing xtianista repub and this is all a propaganda bit

anti-OWS anti-gay

Posted by: say what | Jan 30, 2012 11:28:47 AM

23. This is offensive in its stupidity.

Posted by: chad | Jan 30, 2012 11:31:26 AM

24. Jeez -- A 107-year-old building? That's definitely an erection lasting more than four hours ...

Posted by: K in VA | Jan 30, 2012 11:33:02 AM

25. As long as the building signs the contract, I'm cool.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jan 30, 2012 11:40:11 AM