Bye June | Gay Marriage | Music | Music Video

Shadow Puppets Argue for Marriage Equality in Stunning New Music Video from Bye June: WATCH

Byejune

Gil Kline, Gunner Sledgeski, and Daniel McGreal, the members of the Rockville, Maryland-based band Bye June, have collaborated with world-renowned shadowgrapher Sati Achath for the music video for their new track "Shades of Purple", which is about marriage equality and the freedom to love whomever you choose.

3_byejuneKline tells us that "Shades of Purple" is the first pop music video to utilize shadow puppetry.:

Said Kline: “We asked our fans to choose a track for a music video, and they voted online for this song. I am very pleased, since this song has deep meaning and an important social message. Also, we were fortunate to have Mr. Achath on our team, he truly brought the characters to life."

Said Achath: "Shadowgraphy is a very old art-form, and I am very excited to bring this art-form to a whole new generation. I fell in love with this project for the music, message and medium."

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's the band's Facebook page.

Comments

1. Why would a swan want to get married in a church? What has religion ever done for swans?

Posted by: Andrew | Jan 9, 2012 6:27:15 PM

2. Good message and cool video but the song lyrics are a little too literal which seems to be a problem with a lot of these college kid bands.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Jan 9, 2012 6:27:26 PM

3. Sia's "Soon We'll Be Found" utilized shadow puppetry as well to great effect. This isn't the first pop video the utilize it.

However, good on them for being inventive and creative.

Posted by: Matthew | Jan 9, 2012 6:50:26 PM

4. Fernlaplante pretty much echoes my sentiment.

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Jan 9, 2012 9:20:33 PM

5. I was about to snobbishly chide you, Andy, for using what I thought was a nonsense word, "shadowgrapher", instead of what I thought was the correct term: "shadow puppeteer".
    Thankfully I checked myself and looked up "shadowgraphy", and, lo and behold, according to Wikipedia shadowgraphy is an art-form distinct from shadow puppetry. Where shadow puppetry uses silhouetted puppets, shadowgraphy uses silhouetted hand gestures.
    I love learning something new!
    Here's a link that explains more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowgraphy_(performing_art)

Posted by: Chaq | Jan 9, 2012 11:25:31 PM

6. I love it, it is cool. Love the music, the video, the band and the message.

Posted by: Ron | Jan 9, 2012 11:31:28 PM

7. I agree 100% with Fernlaplante.

Posted by: KJ | Jan 10, 2012 12:01:20 AM

8. I with Ron! Great song and video. Very talented work by Sati Achath.
    (In case you haven't noticed, there are a whole bunch of people in this country who don't "get" marriage equality for gay people. You can't be too literal for them.)
    Let's hope Maryland passes their marriage bill this time around.

Posted by: TruthSeeker_Too | Jan 10, 2012 3:41:23 AM

9. Right on, Fernlaplante. Gorgeous video & love the jangly music (it's very Grizzly Bear), but the lyrics are a tad on-the-nose.

Posted by: Dback | Jan 10, 2012 9:07:01 AM

10. Good lyrics, great video - horrible song.

Posted by: James | Jan 10, 2012 5:14:34 PM

11. The video and music are simply brilliant. Not like the same old that you hear everywhere...

Posted by: Steven Weiss | Jan 27, 2012 8:00:44 AM