DOMA | Eric Cantor | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Eric Cantor's Wife Supports Marriage Equality: VIDEO

CantorEricGayMarriage

Like so many of his Republican counterparts, Eric Cantor has built his political platform in part on banning gay marriage.

The House Majority leader has been a leader in his party's fight to maintain the Defense of Marriage Act - a position that led Cantor to be heckled last October.

It's a surprise, then, to hear that his wife, Diana Fine Cantor, disagrees with Cantor's right wing stance on the issue. More than that, though, she willingly said so in a 60 Minutes interview this weekend, telling Lesley Stahl, "I do disagree [on gay marriage]. There's really that respect. If I expect him to respect my views that could be different, I certainly need to respect his.

While some political spouses keep their opinions to themselves -- Cindy McCain finally came out for marriage equality over a year after husband John failed to win the White House -- it's refreshing to hear Mrs. Cantor break with their partner on national television.

Watch the video AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. How you can surround yourself with people who only have one mindset?This has to boring and somewhat self centered. Everyone has the right to think, believe, and voice any opinion they chose. If you turn your back on someone who may not share you views tells me your a coward. Afraid maybe their own personal views will give you insight you may have overlooked or outright denied you feel. I have many friends that believe abortion is an awful thing where as I believe as long as its not being used as one woman's birth control it is woman's right to chose! There are many small minded people on this earth to turn your back on them will not help you change their views. If anything it will reinforce them.

Posted by: classychazy | Jan 2, 2012 5:45:25 PM

2. @George... I think the big thing here is that the cousin refused to go to the wedding... I think most people who don't support gay marriage, would still go to the wedding of a family member. Refusing to go is rather extreme.

Posted by: JP | Jan 2, 2012 5:48:17 PM

3. Little Kiwi... Again if your entire family and all your friends support 100% of gay rights initiatives and have throughout your entire life, I am very happy for you, but that is not the reality of most Americans. As for Canada, I will not comment since I am not Canadian and the topic is about a US Politician.

Posted by: JP | Jan 2, 2012 5:55:40 PM

4. classychazy, who said anything about "one mindset"?

that the people in my life arent prejudiced bigots doesnt' mean that they all share "one mindset", unless you're saying that you love the diversity of prejudices and bigotries that apparently colour your life.

the different mindsets that make up the varied people in my life don't centre around prejudice or bigotry.

you're not making any sense at all, Chazzy.

it's not boring nor is it self-centred to not having ignorant prejudiced bigots in your life. it is indeed cowardly to not call them on their bigotry.

this is not about "different views". this is not about "i like this film better than this film". this is about a specific prejudicial mindset. it's amazing that some of you can't see that. well, not amazing. very sad, actually.

that people seem to think being anti-gay is a "mindset" that makes things "interesting" is galling and pathetic. your lovely family no doubt misses segregation, big time.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 2, 2012 5:57:32 PM

5. "You want to be a part of my life, I'm not editing out the parts you don't like. There's one more thing you better understand. I have taught myself to sew, cook, fix plumbing, build furniture - I can even pat myself on the back when necessary - all so I don't have to ask anyone for anything. There's nothing I need from anyone except for love and respect and anyone who can't give me those two things has no place in my life."

Harvey Fierstein, Torch Song Trilogy

the moment more of you learn this, understand it, and adopt it, then the faster our collective culture will get over anti-gay prejudice. stop condoning it, enabling it, refusing to challenge it, and stop "respecting" it. none of those things make it go away, they keep it alive.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 2, 2012 6:01:41 PM

6. I am not aware of one state, province or Country who passed a gay marriage law by calling opponents bigots. It is not a winning strategy whether you believe they are bigots or not... the winning strategy is showing people who are and why equality is important to us personally.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of progress.

Posted by: JP | Jan 2, 2012 6:06:19 PM

7. I agree with the quote from Torch Song Trilogy and I feel it is perfectly compatible with my point of view.

Posted by: JP | Jan 2, 2012 6:09:28 PM

8. and no Equality has ever come from sitting back like a wimpy doormat and saying that you "respect" someone's bigoted and disrespectful beliefs. it comes from challenging them, and from calling it out for what it is.

and i didn't say the support has been through my entire life. i was rather clear that i've worked hard for it, as has my family, by making it very clear that anti-gay bigotry is not something we respect, accept or condone.

it's just indicative of how strong anti-gay prejudice is in america that we have people on here saying that we need to respect the prejudice. would you say we need to respect racism and anti-semitism as well?

wait. forget i asked that. it's obvious that a number of you have racist family members who you obviously wouldn't call out on their racism. you know, you wouldn't wanna cause tension.
    ;-)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 2, 2012 6:11:00 PM

9. I agree JP, it would change my relationship with him. I'm sure people have gone to weddings and not agree with it. But not going is the issue.

Posted by: George M | Jan 2, 2012 6:13:16 PM

10. Thank You little kiwi. You make a lot of sense and you give me hope

Posted by: TommyBoatT | Jan 2, 2012 6:14:29 PM

11. The struggles for racial, gender and religious equality under law has already been waged and won years ago. We are in a time that Gay rights is the current struggle and we are making greater strides, faster than any of those previous struggles. Again, I'm all for fighting for our rights with a winning strategy. I don't think calling opponents bigots has ever won a civil rights struggle anywhere in the world at any time in History.

The thread is about Cantor's wife and I think her support is good for our cause.

Posted by: JP | Jan 2, 2012 6:21:45 PM

12. George, your cousin showed he dislikes gays more than he cares about family.

all too often LGBT people work the wrong battle - they think it's about them winning back the love or acceptance of bigoted family members. wrong battle.

it's about bigoted family members realizing that if they want to be a part of the family, then they're the ones who need to stop causing the tension: the tension is bigotry. the tension is not the people with integrity who call out the bigotry.

"my husband is a great man, but he doesn't think jews should be allowed to have the same rights as Christians and he works to pass bills into law that deny equality to jews. and i respect that."

how is this acceptable? are people really so brainwashed by bigotry in their own families that they accept it as OK or "normal"?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 2, 2012 6:22:42 PM

13. it's not calling them bigots, it's pointing out that their views are in fact just plain old bigotry.

which should not be 'respected'

you cannot respect prejudice and bigotry. you can help a person get over it, and you can indeed work with them on it, just like people work with those struggling with substance addiction.

but you dont' sit there while he downs a bottle of vodka and respect him for it. that's for the weak.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 2, 2012 6:30:29 PM

14. This is an amazing time in our History and a defining moment for the struggle of gay equality. Twenty years ago the vast majority of Americans were opposed to all gay rights initiatives. Since that time,we have won many battles. 20 years from know, I predict that we will have won the war. I do think its ok to call someone a bigot for hate and discrimination, except where we are still fighting the battle... like gay marriage, for example.

Posted by: JP | Jan 2, 2012 6:36:22 PM

15. I'm still catching up on these posts, but I have to agree (yet again) with KIWI. This isn't a matter of a difference of opinion (e.g., my partner hates Woody Allen movies while I'm a fan). This is, I believe in equality while my partner believes that some people are undeserving. I can understand that for some, family is important, even overriding. The principle of family trumping other principles. Some people would protect a family member who committed murder. I'd expect better from someone who expected my loyalty. I put up with an awful lot on many fronts, as people need to in a civilized society. But some things I call out, some things I won't accept, and if you expect to be considered a close friend or beloved family member, you give me love and respect. And you are the kind of person who is at the very least willing to learn how to love and respect others.

Posted by: TJ | Jan 2, 2012 6:36:43 PM

16. Little kiwi the comment you made about my family missing segregation was way out of line! My family is extremely evolved and I think you are a coward! You talk about bigotry, but instead of befriending someone who does not see things YOUR WAY you run the opposite direction. Then you have the Gaul to claim you have done away with people in your life that won't support YOU! That's is called being SELFCENTERED!! The world does not evolve around LGBT rights and people are allowed to believe any damn thing they want and the last time I checked gays could NOT wed in Canada so just because you come from there does not make you special.

Posted by: classychazy | Jan 2, 2012 6:43:34 PM

17. @JP: "I don't think calling opponents bigots has ever won a civil rights struggle anywhere in the world at any time in History."

*BOINNG-THUNK*

*picks jaw up off the floor and reattaches it and pokes eyes back into face*

Pointing out bigotry in all its forms has always played a roll in the struggle for civil rights in the U.S. Check out Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I have a dream speech" particularly the section where he excoriates the Governor of Alabama.

Here is another great post that explains the work that still needs to be done respecting both anti-gay and racist bigotry.

Enlighten yourself JP. I've given you a starting point.

P.S.: You're welcome and you owe me a new pair of eyeglasses.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Jan 2, 2012 6:52:21 PM

18. how am i coward? click my name and see who i am. you said that it would be "boring" to have "one mindset", in response to me stating that there are no prejudiced bigots in my family.

oh, and you're wrong. Gay Marriage is legal all across Canada. Our first legal same-sex marriage was performed in 2001.

LGBT Canadians have also been allowed to serve openly in the military since 1992.

i never claimed to have, uh, "done away" with people who "don't support me" - my family and i, and my friends, have simply made it very clear that we don't condone or support or respect prejudice and bigotry. attempt to understand what that means.

but thank you for your last post. in between the facts you clearly don't know, the words you don't know how to spell, and your insistence that bigots are allowed to be bigots, and there's nothing wrong with it, you've proven yourself to be a big moron.

so thanks. may you get kicked between the legs and never breed :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 2, 2012 6:53:49 PM

19. @little kiwi... you have made it clear why Eric Cantor doesn't deserve your respect or the respect of his wife. can you explain why some of us don't deserve your respect? A read through of your posts shows direct personal attacks on people's intellect and opinions. For example, telling someone you disagree with that it is a good thing they aren't going to have children.

I hope you can see that you are every bit as small minded, offensive and disrespectful as some of the people you criticize.

Posted by: JP | Jan 2, 2012 6:58:13 PM

20. I need no history lesson... Martin Luther King jr. was brilliant in changing minds and laws. Of course, it is ok to call out people for supporting violence. The analogy for gay marriage is the Civil Rights Act. Calling for equality under the law does not have to alienate people... King changed minds by making it about equality and fairness for black people, not by making it about his opponents.

Posted by: JP | Jan 2, 2012 7:06:38 PM

21. Martin Luther King, Jr. did more than just "call out people for supporting violence." He also called out people for supporting bigotry and bigots. His own words directly contradict your statement ""I don't think calling opponents bigots has ever won a civil rights struggle anywhere in the world at any time in History."

So yeah, I do think you need a history lesson; and you still owe me new virtual eyeglasses.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Jan 2, 2012 7:26:44 PM

22. I looked at your constitution it has yet to be amended. Until it is then the your government does have the right not to look at your marriage as legal. I question anyone who surrounds themselves with those who only see one view to an issue. In order for us to be a society of free thinkers we must be just that. As far as your attack on my intellect I have found those who must point out others flaws are the ones running from their own. I believe in equality for everyone and I would love to see you even try to kick me in between the legs. Violent threats like that is why most people look at your posts as a joke.

Posted by: classychazy | Jan 2, 2012 7:55:51 PM

23. Oh & just so you know I don't breed I bear children. I have 2 teenagers a son 16 & a daughter 14. Both have gay and bi friends. I have taught them not to look at person by their race, religion, sex, or whom they chose to love. I have always told them to treat others the way you want to be treated. It is obvious to me your parents must have not taught you that or you would have more respect for others views.

Posted by: classychazy | Jan 2, 2012 8:05:06 PM

24. chaz, what are you talking about? Gay couples can marry legally all across Canada. It's been that way for years.

Check out our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, lady.

you clearly have no understanding of how Canada works. Marriage for gay couples has been legal in Canada for years. That you dont understand it doesn't change that fact. That you continue to argue against that fact makes you look like an idiot. I'm not attacking your intellect, your continued insistence that gay couples cannot legally marry in canada is you proving yourself to be intellectually stunted.

"I question anyone who surrounds themselves with those who only see one view to an issue."

What on earth does that mean? You question the fact that the people in my life are not prejudiced bigots? uh.....Ok....

on some issues there IS only "one view", one valid one at least. homophobia is wrong. you're not noble for having friends who oppose LGBT Equality - you're a doormat.

you said earlier "The world does not evolve around LGBT rights and people are allowed to believe any damn thing they want .."

So you support the beliefs of anti-gay bigots? how about racists? anti-Semites?

i respect other's views - as long as they're not indefensibly bigoted, prejudicial and without merit. some views are not worth respecting. racist ones. homophobic ones. anti-Semitic ones. you seem to think bigotry should be respected.

you lose me there.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 2, 2012 8:15:36 PM

25. I think it is important to respect all views no matter how right or wrong they maybe. It is a persons fundamental right to believe what they want. Now here is where I draw the line teaching children hate that is form of child abuse. Once your a young adult you can look at things and form your own opinion. What I am trying to explain to you is I have people in my life that do not believe in gay marriage. These people know where I stand on this issue and a few I have debated this issue with. I have sheered them in the debate, but I refuse to push my own views down their throats. I will not stop talking with them, because they do not believe in something I do. I feel it is just a matter of respecting each others, belief good or bad. I am sorry if this offends you in anyway.

Posted by: classychazy | Jan 2, 2012 8:31:43 PM