2012 Election | Newt Gingrich | Republican Party

Newt Gingrich Rips John King in First Moments of Debate for Asking 'Open Marriage' Question: VIDEO

Newt_gingrich

Newt Gingrich received a standing ovation in the first moments of last night's debate after getting a question from moderator John King about allegations from his ex-wife Marianne that he wanted an "open marriage".

Said Gingrich:

"I think the destructive, vicious, negative nature of much of the news media makes it harder to govern this country harder to attract decent people to run for office. I’m appalled you would begin a presidential debate on a topic like that...Every person in here knows personal pain. Every person in here has had someone close to them go through painful things. To take an ex-wife and make it two days before the primary, a significant question in a presidential campaign, is as close to despicable as anything I can imagine.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Who woulda thunk that one of the forefathers of dirty politics would be such a baby? If only he had given Clinton such courtesy. What a joke.

Posted by: Jon Lee Hart | Jan 20, 2012 7:07:51 AM

2. Clinton cheated while in the White House. A true sleazebag.

As for Gingrich's response, good on him. I was most impressed. I will probably vote for him if he is the candidate. He will fix the economy, which is currently in very poor shape. Obama has been a disaster on the economy and a liar on gay rights.

Posted by: jason | Jan 20, 2012 7:12:03 AM

3. @ Jason: You really are a bloody lunatic, aren't you?

Posted by: Rich F. | Jan 20, 2012 7:21:07 AM

4. Family Values.....

Posted by: RobWest | Jan 20, 2012 7:21:35 AM

5. PLEASE DON'T RESPOND TO THE TROLL NAMED JASON!!!!! HE FEEDS ON YOUR HATRED AND WITHOUT YOUR ANGRY REBUTTALS WILL, HOPEFULLY, GO AWAY.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Jan 20, 2012 7:25:07 AM

6. Jason there are so many points i would like to raise about Gingrich's hypocrisy but I want to start with asking you why you think any Republicans economic polices are going to help you ? Have you any idea what they intend to do ? Please tell us all why you think Gingrich is the man that can help reduce the deficit, adjust rising income inequality, stabilize the housing market, and get people back to work ?

Posted by: paul | Jan 20, 2012 7:26:43 AM

7. You will vote for a man who left one wife while she was battling cancer and a second wife after she said no to an open marriage? He is a Christian...and I thought a Christian marriage was an oath to God. If he cares so little about something which is supposed to be so sacred how can we then trust his judgement should he hold our country's highest office?

While seemingly good on paper, a flat tax is not fair and will only widen the gap from the have and have nots. But don't take my word for it...read any number of articles on the subject penned by credible economists.

In closing, President Obama has done more for gay rights than any president before him. You really think Newt would do anything for our community?

Posted by: Jon Lee Hart | Jan 20, 2012 7:27:03 AM

8. @jason Clinton is a sleeze bag, and Gingrich is?? And he will fix the economy,how by selling his books? please vote for him maybe he will teach you about education in the Congo under Belgian rule. (google it).

Posted by: hassia | Jan 20, 2012 7:33:06 AM

9. Boo, hoo! I'm a victim!

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jan 20, 2012 7:35:04 AM

10. same old thing they can dish it but not take it. the truth will always piss these
    guys off.

Posted by: mark | Jan 20, 2012 7:37:04 AM

11. Never mind.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Jan 20, 2012 7:37:51 AM

12. Yeah, right, let's go back to Republican strategies, after all they worked so well during the eight years the Repubs had control of the White House and Congress resulting in the biggest economic collapse since the Depression!

And, if Repubs had had their way General Motors would now be history, along with the American car industry and millions of jobs. They sure had THAT right!

Posted by: It's not just my opinion | Jan 20, 2012 7:39:41 AM

13. Perhaps Swingrich's latest scandal is proof that there is a God.

Posted by: Charlie | Jan 20, 2012 7:44:08 AM

14. When you make "family values" and "traditional marriage" your political platform, your personal life is fair game. Especially when it's so easy to point out how blatantly hypocritical your position is. As usual, the GOP mantra of "blame everyone but yourself" is alive and well.

Posted by: David in Houston | Jan 20, 2012 7:54:12 AM

15. If these types of questions are appropriate to ask of Herman Cain, then they are appropriate to ask of Newt Gingrich, and for Newt Gingrich to say that he is now above these questions shows a true sense of privilege that is undeserved, and if he expects the American people to just forget about it he's in for a big surprise.

I want to know if Newt Gingrich conducts himself like a modern day Caligula, because, frankly, Republicans have crazies like Anne Coulter saying it'd be crazy to be represented by Gingrich, who, among other things, has directly contributed to our current housing crisis.

Posted by: O HERRO | Jan 20, 2012 7:54:36 AM

16. I don't care what you say about me. I know within my own heart that what I'm saying is true. I do research before I open my trap.

On the other hand, a lot of you are the useful idiots. You don't care about gay rights in an overall sense. Rather, you simply care about going to clubs and bars.

When it comes to thinking through issues, you're lacking. You will devote yourselves to Obama - a proven liar - in the same way those people devoted themselves to David Koresh.

Posted by: jason | Jan 20, 2012 8:01:26 AM

17. So Newt's ex-wife of claims he wanted an open relationship which makes his position on marriage completely hypocritical. Jason, do you know Newt personally or do you willfully chose to ignore this claim? Who's the idiot?

Posted by: D.R.H. | Jan 20, 2012 8:16:04 AM

18. Oy

MESHUGGINA jason

Posted by: say what | Jan 20, 2012 8:20:24 AM

19. Oh for Christ's-fudging-sake!!!

Stop responding to JASON. Are you people stupid?

Posted by: Marc C | Jan 20, 2012 8:32:46 AM

20. This hypocrite knows a lot about despicable.

Posted by: Danny | Jan 20, 2012 8:36:00 AM

21. Jason is a perfect example of what happens when you only watch Fox News. We should pity him (when we're not clubbing and attending orgies).

Newt is a hypocrite and a liar. He would be the worst president imaginable and would do what all republicans do: steal from the poor and give to the rich. That said, John F Kennedy would never have been president if he had to face modern scrutiny. Newt is a scumbag of the first degree, but I have to agree with him that the question was out of line FOR A PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE. The topic is fair game and fit for Entertainment shows, SuperPAC fodder and ambush interviews, but in a debate, all candidates should get the same questions so we can evaluate their different answers. A question about Newt's ex wife really gives no insight into how he would govern the country. I am not defending Newt here. I am an Obama man all the way, I just hate these Entertainment shows masquerading as Debates.

Posted by: Chadd | Jan 20, 2012 8:37:24 AM

22. How to win a Republican debate: when attacked for doing something that morally outrages people, deflect with your moral outrage at the question.

Posted by: JH | Jan 20, 2012 8:49:48 AM

23. I have practically begged people here to stop responding to the troll JasonRick. He derails every thread on this site. Yet no one listens.

At least have the common decency to mock him ruthlessly. Make me laugh.

Posted by: endo | Jan 20, 2012 8:51:05 AM

24. CNN really teed it up for Newton by asking that question FIRST. It's debatable whether the question should have been there in the first place, but it certainly shouldn't have been the lead question. John King looked sick after Newton's screed, and I bet he wanted to crawl under the table.

Newton is a dysfunctional mess, and we all know that already. He won't be President of the US, so I don't much care at this point.

Posted by: princely54 | Jan 20, 2012 8:51:09 AM

25. So the media is big and bad for asking a question that he doesn't like because it questions his moral character - as if moral character shouldn't be an issue for political candidates. Whatever dude!

Posted by: Davelandia | Jan 20, 2012 8:57:50 AM