I'm Gay | Kristy McNichol | News

BigGayDeal.com

Kristy McNichol: I'm a Lesbian

Mcnichol

Kristy McNichol, best known for her roles on Family and Empty Nest, has come out of the closet 20 years after leaving acting because she is tired of seeing kids bullied about their sexuality, People reports:

Kristy_mcnicholMcNichol, 49, who has lived with her partner Martie Allen, also 49, for the past two decades, decided to make a statement about her sexuality and share this photo because she is "approaching 50" and wants to "be open about who I am."

She "is very sad about kids being bullied," her publicist Jeff Ballard tells PEOPLE. "She hopes that coming out can help kids who need support. She would like to help others who feel different."

(h/t Boy Culture)

Comments

1. I've always been a big fan of Kristy, although she'd probably think I'm homophobic scum due to my politics. But what is this connection between lesbians and toasters?

Does anyone remember that about 1979-1980 there was a Kristy McNichol doll (a Barbie doll type?) It actually looked very little like Kristy and much more like Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie. There was also a Marie Osmond doll. I bought both for my little cousin as I was too old for dolls then, but couldn't figure out how they could get the Marie doll so right and mess up the Kristy doll so much. I mean Kristy looked nothing like the "Tootsie" character.

Posted by: Mary | Jan 6, 2012 8:28:01 PM

2. http://fablog.ehrensteinland.com/2012/01/06/fait-diver-hommage-a-samuel-fuller/

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 6, 2012 8:28:52 PM

3. she "left acting" 20 years ago...did she hire the publicist to come out? pathetic.

Posted by: Ruddy | Jan 6, 2012 8:46:37 PM

4. Kids these days probably don't know how big of a star she was in the 1970's. Then she disappeared.

Posted by: anon | Jan 6, 2012 8:53:04 PM

5. @Mary
    You ARE homophobic scum

Posted by: Steve | Jan 6, 2012 9:03:40 PM

6. I saw this picture and though OMG! I think I was at that event and sitting next to Kristy. If I were there, it was the Comedy Awards that George Schlatter put on every year back in the 80's.
    She was a sweetheart and so was her girl friend.

Posted by: Cindy Heidel | Jan 6, 2012 9:12:34 PM

7. Way to go "Buddy"! Love you.

Posted by: David C. | Jan 6, 2012 9:15:58 PM

8. You would guess by the name alone that Dinah Manoff would be the gay sister from empty next, although I must say, names aside..its not overly shocking.

Posted by: Chris | Jan 6, 2012 9:16:06 PM

9. The funniest thing about this is that when I was a kid in the 70s I had a total crush on her...I think because she looked like a boy and I could square that in my mind at the time as being as close to getting a boy in public! HAHA! Of course, I dated lesbians all the time in high school until it dawned on me....

Posted by: princely54 | Jan 6, 2012 9:24:43 PM

10. Steve, I'm laughing at your comment! Don't you know that insulting me is Kiwi's job?

Werk (whatever he means by that!)

Posted by: Mary | Jan 6, 2012 9:47:23 PM

11. By the way, where is Brandon K. Thorp? Does anyone else miss his writing? I sure do.

Posted by: Mary | Jan 6, 2012 9:51:01 PM

12. I recall clearly that she was outed by a tabloid, and no one denied it; but I suppose her official coming out, on her own terms, had not happened until now. One thing that is kind of sad is that the outing may have forced the end of her acting career. (While I recall that she had some trouble with bipolar disorder, no?)

I'm delighted that she seems happy and at peace now. Good for her. Welcome out.

It's also just the right thing to do for young people.

Anderson?

Posted by: Thank you Kristy | Jan 6, 2012 10:02:44 PM

13. Really? Didn't we already know this? I mean, good for her and I'm glad she cares about the bullying epidemic, but I don't think anyone is surprised.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 6, 2012 10:14:04 PM

14. In related news, Liberace's letter from the grave was read today announcing he was gay.

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 6, 2012 10:27:58 PM

15. All kidding aside, those two 49 year old lesbians look very pretty and hot for their age. Glad to see she is in a happy loving relationship.

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 6, 2012 10:30:28 PM

16. Coincidentally, I was just thinking about Kristi McNichol yesterday.
    My boyhood straight male friend had a big crush on her when she did "Little Darlings" (with Tatum O'Neal and fellow gay actress Cynthia Nixon) and I wondered if that childhood friend of mine knows she's gay.
    Only now do I read that she wasn't already out. I think like so many other celebrities, it's one of those things that a lot of gay people know for a decade before mainstream society hears the "announcement."

I would love for her to have come out when she was a huge celebrity, but I also know that was impossible, and good for her for coming out now!
    In the late 70's, she was by far one of the most awarded dramatic supporting actresses (along with Ellen Corby a.k.a. Grandma Walton, whom I also have always thought never could have come out in that pre-Ellen era, if, indeed she was gay.)

I really welcome the openness of Kristi, and, though I understand she has felt she's needed to be out of the spotlight for personal reasons, would love to see her being more visible whether in large or small ways.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 6, 2012 10:51:04 PM

17. I fell in love with her years ago. Watching her cry, which she does better than anyone else...was heartwrenching. I think she's a trooper...managed to survive hollywood and still come out of it with a lifelong companion. She's beautiful...we love you k.

Posted by: Paul B. | Jan 6, 2012 11:07:02 PM

18. Summer of My German Soldier.

Posted by: Nomad | Jan 6, 2012 11:24:26 PM

19. Way to go, Kristy!!! Always loved you. Loved "Family"...
    Admire your honesty, even if some feel it's a little "late".
    It's NEVER too late, people!
    :o)

Posted by: bruce | Jan 7, 2012 12:49:59 AM

20. Congratulations! Another person coming out.

Posted by: debt relief | Jan 7, 2012 12:59:38 AM

21. I shall rewatch "The Pirate Movie" -- one of my favorite "bad movies" ever -- on DVD in her honor, but I'll still be thinking of Christopher Atkins... ;)

Posted by: JSH | Jan 7, 2012 1:25:39 AM

22. Seriously, what members of the cast of "Family" weren't gay?

Posted by: Jesse | Jan 7, 2012 1:37:53 AM

23. I am so happy for her. She was one of my favoritre actress in the 80' God bless & wishing her another 20 years of incredible powerful love.

Posted by: classychazy | Jan 7, 2012 2:21:57 AM

24. I also thought she came out yrs ago, but still, good.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 7, 2012 2:59:22 AM

25. Took her long enough!

Posted by: ICYNDICEY | Jan 7, 2012 5:14:34 AM